Harmony of the seas right now, my AC broke and RC could care less HELP!

1 hour ago, Acruisingperson said:

I don't want to highjack the thread, but this also happened to me on Liberty. I finally figured out if I turned on the tap in the sink and let the water run for a bit, I could get enough pressure in the pipes or whatever to make the toilet flush. I thought I would mention it in case others run into the same problem and maintenance isn't able to quickly fix the problem. 

Toilets on cruise ships work off a vacuum-type system. Turning on the water isn't going to do anything to make the toilet flush.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Acruisingperson said:

I don't want to highjack the thread, but this also happened to me on Liberty. I finally figured out if I turned on the tap in the sink and let the water run for a bit, I could get enough pressure in the pipes or whatever to make the toilet flush. I thought I would mention it in case others run into the same problem and maintenance isn't able to quickly fix the problem. 

As another poster stated, the fresh water system and the vacuum toilet system are two different systems, though the fresh water system does connect to the toilet to provide water.  When you press the button to flush the toilet, it is actually a valve that allows vacuum from the toilet piping to a mechanical timing device.  The vacuum activates this timer, and it in turn activates (using vacuum) the "discharge" valve that opens (causing the noise) and empties the bowl.  It will also activate (also using vacuum) the water valve that introduces water to the bowl.  After programmed times, the discharge and water valves will close.  If you have a delayed flush (you've pressed the button and nothing happens for a few minutes, there is either a partial blockage of the septic piping causing reduced vacuum to your (and likely other) toilet, which needs time to build up, or the timing mechanism is partially clogged and needs service.  Turning on the sink taps will have no effect on this.  A "ghost" flush happens when you push the button and nothing happens for a very long time, because the vacuum has been removed from your toilet by a clog down stream, and when the plumbers clear the clog and restore the vacuum, the timing mechanism has been activated and will commence a flush, sometimes hours later, when you are fast asleep.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As another poster stated, the fresh water system and the vacuum toilet system are two different systems, though the fresh water system does connect to the toilet to provide water.  When you press the button to flush the toilet, it is actually a valve that allows vacuum from the toilet piping to a mechanical timing device.  The vacuum activates this timer, and it in turn activates (using vacuum) the "discharge" valve that opens (causing the noise) and empties the bowl.  It will also activate (also using vacuum) the water valve that introduces water to the bowl.  After programmed times, the discharge and water valves will close.  If you have a delayed flush (you've pressed the button and nothing happens for a few minutes, there is either a partial blockage of the septic piping causing reduced vacuum to your (and likely other) toilet, which needs time to build up, or the timing mechanism is partially clogged and needs service.  Turning on the sink taps will have no effect on this.  A "ghost" flush happens when you push the button and nothing happens for a very long time, because the vacuum has been removed from your toilet by a clog down stream, and when the plumbers clear the clog and restore the vacuum, the timing mechanism has been activated and will commence a flush, sometimes hours later, when you are fast asleep.

I guess it was just a coincidence. I would try to flush repeatedly, nothing would happen, then I would turn on the tap and after a moment there would be a noticeable increase in water pressure in the sink, then I would try flushing again and it would work. As they say, correlation isn't causation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 7:07 AM, John&LaLa said:

My least favorite of the bunch for sure

Just curious as to why. I just booked a 2-BR Aqua Suite on Harmony for my 65th birthday next year. Going with my daughters and was so excited to experience Star Class. Hoping I didn't choose the wrong ship 🤨

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

Just curious as to why. I just booked a 2-BR Aqua Suite on Harmony for my 65th birthday next year. Going with my daughters and was so excited to experience Star Class. Hoping I didn't choose the wrong ship 🤨

Just a little of "The World According to Jay" here.  I wouldn't take the critique, good or bad, at face value.  You need to experience it yourself.  We all have different tastes, expectations, and hopes.  They don't necessarily comport with our own.  

Having said that, there are some folks that have a lot of experience.  I think John is one of those.  So, I'd take his review and keep it in mind. I also keep in mind how the review/critique is written. But, I'd still experience it with as little preconceived notions as possible.   

I'm/we're booked on the Harmony in Jan 2024. I've read a lot of reviews about her, some good and a lot bad.  I think the most popular negative comments are the fact that there is no pool in the Solarium.  That isn't a concern of mine as I don't do pools, much.  I do like the hot tubs though.  Food is subjective and ever changing as to who is cooking the food, the kitchen staff, here today, gone tomorrow.

BTW, we are also booked in a 2 Bedroom Aqua Theater Suit.  We love them.  We're on the  deck 8 though, would rather be on 10.  It wasn't available at booking time, over a year ago.

My suggestion, go, see for yourself.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

I've found RCI onboard staff to be very responsive to in cabin problems.

Last year on Jewel we had a bad sewage smell problem in our OS during our Arctic Circle itinerary. Our steward reported the ongoing problem and it escalated up the onboard chain. The SL Concierge offered us 20% off the base cruise fare as an FCC. 

Just off Navigator and our OS cabin door wasn't pulled close all the way we noticed on one of returns to our cabin. We told our steward and it too was escalated to security...video tapes were apparently checked we were told. Because of this security issue we were given a 15% FCC.

5 hours ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

Just doesn't offer as much in my experience. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a great class, just my least favorite

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

I wouldn’t worry , any time we had a issue and were in a suite they took care of issue. We are looking forward to grand suite in November on harmony.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, poocher said:

Was on her in March, ship was amazing.  If the AC doesn’t work, open the door to the balcony at night.  At least you’ll have fresh air.

No. This is a terrible idea. Opening the door only serves to deactivate the ac in surrounding staterooms. The only answer is the Vic timid to complain. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don’t let up. Be relentless. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, shipgeeks said:

OP, You say you are in a balcony cabin. Almost every time someone says their AC doesn't work, they are in a balcony cabin, and either they, or a cabin in the nearby area, have left the balcony door open, or at least not locked tight.  One door ajar will affect the AC in the surrounding cabins, and not in a good way.

Astounding how many people don’t know this. I maintain that every cruise line should post a sign on the door saying as much. Granted, only half will read the sign and of that half, only half will give a sh*t but at least they will have tried. 

• Like 2

Whilst I sympathize that a port was cancelled I am not sure what you expect them to do? Lots of ships have ports cancelled or changed. That is always a risk when cruising.

We have had a cruise to the ABC islands and ended up in Jamaica 

As they say “ship happens”

Edited by Spurschick

On 1/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, fuglynchalenged said:

This is the worst vacation I have ever had.  I know you guys are biased  and will most likely give me a lot of flack for this post but I need to get it off my chest before I explode  

When we first got here the stateroom was gross. It was dirty and dusty, it was in really bad shape. Maybe the state room attendant was having a bad day or something so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I didn’t really mind. 

The freestyle Coke machines always broken like I mean always there have been several times where none of them have been working. Why did I pay $250 for a cup if none of them work? 

I'm not sure why you think you will get flack as we have all experienced similar situations.

We always sail in accessible cabins. Somewhere in the cabin there will be damage, normally marks on the wall, where previous guests have hit something with their scooter/wheelchair. 

In 1 cabin there was dust and more alarmingly we found 2 tablets/pills in a corner. We took pictures of the corner, flushed the pills and reported it to GS. GS apologised and said they would flag it up to housekeeping. A housekeeping supervisor came within an hour of us reporting the pills. He apologised and explained that the cabin had been empty for the past 2 weeks, hence the dust but he could not explain why the pills had not been spotted but he would flag up to all cabin steward and other supervisors to double check corners.

On the same cruise, midway through the cruise only 1 Freestyle machine was working. At the end of the cruise all the machines were working but all of them had half of the drinks out of stock.

Whenever I see one issue of a complaint, I believe it.  When I see that the room was not cleaned, AC broken, staff rude, food was "burnt" every time?  I just think that the person needs to stay away from ships.  

If you like your AC to be set at 62 and your room will not get that cold, than it's not the AC broken, but the expectation.  I also might think it's possible, the staff being rude is part of they might be tired of getting the complaint over and over again.  

But I just don't really believe the post. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Whenever I see one issue of a complaint, I believe it.  When I see that the room was not cleaned, AC broken, staff rude, food was "burnt" every time?  I just think that the person needs to stay away from ships.  

If you like your AC to be set at 62 and your room will not get that cold, than it's not the AC broken, but the expectation.  I also might think it's possible, the staff being rude is part of they might be tired of getting the complaint over and over again.  

But I just don't really believe the post. 

Same. I the OP's name Karen?

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No. This is a terrible idea. Opening the door only serves to deactivate the ac in surrounding staterooms. The only answer is the Vic timid to complain. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don’t let up. Be relentless. 

Ok so then sleep on the balcony!  Still has to be better that sleeping in the Centrum!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe  they have a switch on the balcony door that turns off the A/C. On RCL if you have an issue  with your cabin  that's  not promptly rectified you need to speak to the HOTEL MANAGER. That's  what RCL calls the manager overseeing all cabins. 

• Like 2

We had a noise issue on Harmony in 2017. Thought the neighbours didn’t close their closet and it kept making a banging noise.  After a couple of nights we got up the nerve to ask them about the noise and they thought it was us😳.
I called our room steward who called the Hotel manager, that’s who you call to resolve cabin issues.
It turns out that it was a loose item in the bulkhead between the cabins. The HM made us some offers, but we declined as they had temporarily secured the loose item so that we barely noticed it for the rest of the cruise. 👍

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

I had a little sign in my cabin on Allure that said if the balcony door was open the air conditioner would automatically turn off.  

The heat  should automatically be cranked up when people leave the balcony door open. That`ll learn them.😂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, loman said:

The heat  should automatically be cranked up when people leave the balcony door open. That`ll learn them.😂

Now that’s funny!  I did leave mine open and my husband couldn’t open the door to get back in our cabin.  The cabin steward had to call me to tell me to please close the balcony door and open the door to let him in!  Learning experience!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We were on Harmony a few weeks ago and the first night there was a terrible banging noise as we tried to sleep, turns out a few cabins aft a balcony divider was loose and banging badly.We called the desk in the morning and they sent up a person to look into the problem and it turned out the people in the cabin put one of the chairs against it and the wind kept blow it away and they didn't want to call down to get it fixed.

1 hour ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

I had a little sign in my cabin on Allure that said if the balcony door was open the air conditioner would automatically turn off.  

Same.  But what many people don't realize is that it not only turns off in one cabin, it affects surrounding cabins as well.  That's what the sign should REALLY point out, IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Same.  But what many people don't realize is that it not only turns off in one cabin, it affects surrounding cabins as well.  That's what the sign should REALLY point out, IMO.

I believe you are right and I believe you should never leave your balcony door open for many other reasons as well!

• Like 2