my wife will be surprised.

thefog

2 hours ago, thefog said:

She now has 3 months for packing.

Oh, she knows.  I was thinking it was a surprise for her.  I was going to say how nice of a surprise it will be for her.  But, it is still going to be good for her, well hell, both of you.  

I'd like to surprise my wife with something like that but she has online access to all my C.C.'s and bank accounts.  

ENJOY!!!

• Like 1

My DOH knows we are going on a cruise but not location.  In the past he finally figured out his RCI logon and was able to see what I had booked.  Fooled him for 2024 - doing our first Celebrity cruise, Best of Greece.  Will be interesting to see how long I can keep him in the dark!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, thefog said:

booked a Hawaiian cruise for our 38th anniversary in May. Anyone else did this for their spouse?

Booked a surprise Panama Canal cruise 18 months ago for our 25th anniversary next month, and gave it to her for Christmas.

• Like 6

Our cruise in Jan 2024 will be an anniversary cruise for my Old Army Buddy and his wife, their 39th and for my wife and I it will be our 50th.  But, no surprise.  Well, I'm sure I will have the Genie surprise the wives with something special though.  

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Booked a surprise Panama Canal cruise 18 months ago for our 25th anniversary next month, and gave it to her for Christmas.

I'd love to do the Panama Canal cruise thing, again.  But, it's only on the smaller ships and I'm spoiled with Quantum/Oasis class ships, that only means that they are my preference.  If I find one of those class ships doing Panama Canal, I would try to grab it, it the timing and budget fits.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I'd love to do the Panama Canal cruise thing, again.  But, it's only on the smaller ships and I'm spoiled with Quantum/Oasis class ships, that only means that they are my preference.  If I find one of those class ships doing Panama Canal, I would try to grab it, it the timing and budget fits.  

I'm with you on Oasis/Quantum. Love the big ships. If we're doing Caribbean, I won't do anything other than Oasis/Quantum. All though, we did do a 3 night weekend get-a-way on Freedom just after COVID for the points (4 nights x2 for JS x2 double points).

However, there are places they just don't (can't) go.

From other discussions on this board about the Panama Canal, even with the new locks, you will not see an Oasis or Quantum class ship going through the Panama Canal until the Bridge of the Americas is replaced with something taller. Clearance is only 201 feet. Even the Voyager/Freedom classes are too tall.

The Radiance class was built as a "Panamax", being the largest ship that will go through the locks. (Length: 950ft, Bean: 106ft, Height: 190ft)

The "New Panamax" with the new locks is still limited by the height of the Bridge. (Length 1201ft, Beam 168ft, Height: 190ft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax

So, we are doing it on the Radiance of the Seas in Spring '24. Sorry, but I'm not doing a Vision class.

It's also why we did 24 nights on Jewel last summer. The larger ships can't/won't do Arctic Circle and Iceland. Heck, even on Jewel, the pier/dock was about 1/3 the length of the ship in Honningsvag. 🤣

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thefog said:

booked a Hawaiian cruise for our 38th anniversary in May.Anyone else did this for their spouse?

Not a cruise but my wife designed my first ever being on a plane vacation to celebrate my 50th.birthday.Included on the vacation was a mini cruise and walking on a glacier.

16 hours ago, thefog said:

booked a Hawaiian cruise for our 38th anniversary in May.Anyone else did this for their spouse?

I’m assuming you pay the bills otherwise she will see it. I agree with firefly333 about letting her know so she can shop or order stuff if she wants to.

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I watched Norwegian Bliss pass through the new locks two weeks ago. At  4000 passengers it's not tiny. I was on the tiny Zaandam. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

If I find one of those class ships doing Panama Canal, I would try to grab it, it the timing and budget fits.  

They won't fit even if your budget does😇

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Take a look at Celebrity Beyond in the Premium Suites 

PS / RS / EV

Doing 11 night Panama sailings out of Fort Lauderdale 2023/24

(way better than Star Class on Royal)IMO

I think you would really appreciate the retreat and the premium suite service 

One of the best cruises we have taken in over 20 years 

Here is the PS we recently stayed in on Beyond.

X Beyond Penthouse Suite 12110 

https://youtu.be/cD0RrIpzoIg

• Like 2