What to do with the complimentary Oceania bottle of wine?

jonthomas

Yes it is a very odd question. And of course a much lighter topic. Hopefully will give all of you a giggle or two. 

We are NOT wine drinkers. So we wait till we  meet some folks and then give it away. Or we bring it to dinner that we may be sharing with others. 

In this case, a couple of times, we had to take it back to the stateroom as no one wanted it. lol....

On one cruise , for some reason, we had three bottles, champagne and two wines. I enquired at guest relations what to do with them, was told, just leave it in the cabin. Couldnt give it away to anyone in our trivia group, they were all non drinkers.  So we did leave it in our cabin. 

Yes Im sure many of you are laughing or are confused. 

Maybe on the roll call , I could post that I am open to a trade of sorts....now there is an idea, any others?

No I'm not laughing, I don't want it either, and I'm a drinker. If you're lucky they might be out of the Oceania Club wine and substitute for the Casa Vides, which is nothing to get excited about. 

For a bit of corny fun, you can turn an unwanted bottle into a souvenir.

Last year, we found ourselves with a bottle of gin at our disposal, during a cruise. We aren't the sort to sit on the balcony and drink Gibsons. Instead, I had the notion to collect signatures, like a yearbook. The bottle now resides on the fireplace mantle and we won't be opening it.

Gin-Souvenir.thumb.jpg.273eb58b3eff607776f9c05a6a316957.jpg

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, no1talks said:

For a bit of corny fun, you can turn an unwanted bottle into a souvenir.

Last year, we found ourselves with a bottle of gin at our disposal, during a cruise. We aren't the sort to sit on the balcony and drink Gibsons. Instead, I had the notion to collect signatures, like a yearbook. The bottle now resides on the fireplace mantle and we won't be opening it.

Gin-Souvenir.thumb.jpg.273eb58b3eff607776f9c05a6a316957.jpg

Good idea, but only works if you drive home from disembarkation? I wouldn’t risk transporting a bottle in my checked luggage…..

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Good idea, but only works if you drive home from disembarkation? I wouldn’t risk transporting a bottle in my checked luggage…..

That time we did drive. However, on other travels, we have had no luggage accidents when using inflatable bottle protectors.

• Like 2

We met up with some friends and gave it away, they loved the idea.

Similarly I always used to keep the bed chocolates and take them into work, now I am retired and there were rather a lot on our 35 days cruise I took them ashore with me.

I asked the customs lady if she liked chocolate, she did but as government official was not allowed to accept anything! DH claims I tried to bribe an official. So I took them into town on the shuttle and gave them to the volunteers there.

Rosalyn

On one cruise I was having hard time giving away the Cyclo bottle of wine.  Then, I decided if I made it a prize someone would want to "win" it.  So, I told one of the passengers I was playing a game and if she had the correct answer, she would win a bottle of wine.  I asked, what is the name of the ship we're on.  Of course she answered correctly and won the bottle - she was happy because she said she normally doesn't win anything.  I enjoyed it because it made someone smile.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Leave it in the laundry room with a note "To a good home." 

BTW, I asked one of our stewards a couple of cruised ago if they wanted it. Their response was yes, but getting caught with anything like that is a termination offence. So, they can take it and put back in stock.

• Like 2

The wine we got on our last cruise on the Sirena to Caribbean wasn’t memorable - the reason I don’t remember the name😁, but it wasn’t undrinkable either, at least for our taste. So we didn’t feel bad that we have to give away something that we can’t tolerate ourselves.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:44 PM, Hokulea said:

Leave it in the laundry room with a note "To a good home." 

BTW, I asked one of our stewards a couple of cruised ago if they wanted it. Their response was yes, but getting caught with anything like that is a termination offence. So, they can take it and put back in stock.

Unfortunately, this is what we had understood for alcohol, and perhaps some other things.  I suppose they worry about "is it theft"?  I've wondered if giving it with a thank you note, specifying that we are GIVING the wine or other booze?

Please let us know if there is some way to gift things to them.

Thanks.

GC

On 2/1/2023 at 1:12 AM, hawkesbaynz said:

Can you not take it to dinner, and not pay the corkage? Is it really that bad?

Yes, you can take it to dinner and not pay the corkage.  We always do.  The wine stewards recognize it for what it is.  And since we're always coming from Happy Hour, our defenses are down in terms of nose, mouth-feel, terroir and all the rest.

We spent our youth drinking wine far worse than Cyclo so it takes us back to the days of finally being able to buy better than Cribari, if not quite up to Chateau Margaux.

• Haha 2