Review Lite: New Year's on Navigator.... sorta.

RCCL Fan

Thank you so much for posting about this. It must be so hard, but many people find themselves in these situations and there aren’t many people posting about what issues to expect. I wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to start if I had an emergency at home and had to leave the boat with my family still on board. So glad you were able to be with your father. Such a beautiful family.

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss and you managed well an unthinkable situation.

Just a quick question...We were on Navigator last month and noticed in the Cruise Compass a warning that basically says that each port is under the control of local authorities. Fines up to $7500 can be imposed on guests failing to return onboard on time in Mexico ports of call.

Was this said to you at all?

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So sorry for your loss and you managed well an unthinkable situation.

Just a quick question...We were on Navigator last month and noticed in the Cruise Compass a warning that basically says that each port is under the control of local authorities. Fines up to $7500 can be imposed on guests failing to return onboard on time in Mexico ports of call.

Was this said to you at all?

Let me just say that the last thing I would want to do is detail bit by bit what happened and get anyone in trouble who helped me.

I made it clear I was getting off the ship, as I had very limited options due to the holiday and the southwest drama.

Of course now, that you post this, I'll be checking the mail for a bill from the Mexican authorities.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Of course now, that you post this, I'll be checking the mail for a bill from the Mexican authorities.

Fingers crossed. But I think that probably won't happen. I am so happy that you were able to see your dad before he passed away.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Let me just say that the last thing I would want to do is detail bit by bit what happened and get anyone in trouble who helped me.

I made it clear I was getting off the ship, as I had very limited options due to the holiday and the southwest drama.

I've cruised the Mexican Riviera onboard RCI for years and have been on Navigator a couple of times since RCI came back to our coast and last month was the first time I've seen this Cruise Compass warning.

I think it's very doubtful you'll be getting a bill and I'm sure RCI did whatever they could with limitations to help accommodate you. 

Best wishes to all of you and do come back and sail Navigator again.

Very sorry to hear about Dad.  Thankful that you were to make it in time to spend sometime talking with him before his passing.  You are a Wonderful Son.  Hopefully you have found peace in knowing you did everything you did to be with him.   Also, such a beautiful photo you posted of you and your Dad.  May he Rest in Peace🙏

• Like 1

My condolences on the loss of your father. He must have been a wonderful man to raise such a good son that takes great care of your family the way you do. The smiles on all those faces speak volumes. May he forever rest in peace.

Edited by fla33023
  • Like 3

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, I'm glad you got there in time to say good bye. My mother died while we were on vacation 37 years ago and I still know how I felt when I got the call. Your father will always be with you in the live you share with your family and friends. 

After my departure....

qw.thumb.jpg.1f221789478c7443309fb949032a58f9.jpg

I did want to give you guys some thoughts on excursions and what not....   not through my eyes but my girls.

As I mentioned earlier this was our first west coast cruise and I stressed about having no idea where to go and what to do, so thought I'd share.

First stop was Cabo.

IMG_9055.thumb.JPG.47f003eed82039c1d1622cc45401e756.JPG

We knew right off the bat that our group wanted to go whale watching.   January is supposed to be peak season.  My wife and kids are both big time animal lovers and so this was kinda their one big request.

As I looked into tours, I saw most of them were on small inflatable zodiac type boats.  I was concerned that especially with the little ones there would be issues with being hungry, thirsty, and needing a bathroom.   Not to mention if the water was rough, and everyone's sitting on the side of these things. I could see us just ruining a trip for others.

So I was in search of a nice boat,  one with a bathroom, comfy seating,  food and drink, and that would get us to the whales.

Well, it seemed to be one or the other.  There were yacht rentals or whale watching trips but not much that seemed to marry them both well.

I finally went with the group Cabo 2 Vegas.  

IMG_9076.thumb.JPG.5a3202e74ae9b6914fbb95e15c5f4035.JPG

Her boat seemed to offer what I was looking for at a reasonable price but did not promise any extra whale chasing skills but would give it their best.

We did have some issues at booking, as she doesn't offer deposit refunds if your cruise misses port, and basically said something along the lines of, "it's not my fault you're not flexible to reschedule because your cruise is only here a few hours"     It just didn't feel very welcoming as a cruise guest.   I was super close to saying no thanks.  I'm sure we're not a huge part of her clientele, but yes some people who cruise like to spend money and rent yachts .

I had asked to prepay the entire amount because I don't like walking around port stops with more than a thousand dollars in my pocket.  This wasn't her normal course of business, but she was willing to accommodate us.  It just meant if I prepaid, I wasn't getting my money back.   So I just put down a hundred or two deposit as she suggested and that's what I would lose if for some reason we didn't show up (like oh i dunno my dad dying!)

Anyway I handed my wife an envelope packed with cash to pay the bill and another one in tips for the crew and they sat out for the boat "Below Deck"  Captain Lee & Captain Sandy style.  while I went to the airport.

IMG_9060.thumb.JPG.d618ee0cc95318524f251b53e3a37275.JPG

The lands end spot where the yacht was taking the girls was literally right next to where the cruise  ship docks. If like me you're expecting to go on a long cruise to get there, you're not.  It's literally right next to the ship.    They did that, and then chased whales.

They saw a flash of one briefly, but that's it.   Nothing like they hoped and dreamed. 

IMG_9057.thumb.JPG.02411076ee0d244b8646f2388359e507.JPG

Here' are some quotes i got over text message on the plane. 

"They tried so hard to get us whales but just couldn't"

"The crew was so nice, they were great"

"The tacos and fajitas were amazing the best I've ever eaten"

"It was cold out there as we got going on the water we had to bundle up in blankets, but then it warmed up."

IMG_9078.JPG.30428e0bd3594e970cc5af3feadc330d.JPG

All in all they seemed to have a great trip even though they missed the whales.

IMG_9079.JPG.27c8f81a72f6f608eafa2ca0e7cbd548.JPG

The crew from Cabo2Vegas helped to make sure they got to the yacht since I wasn't there to lead them as planned, and my wife says the owner checked on her again to make sure everything was ok.

She was pleased with the excursion and glad they did it.

IMG_9075.thumb.JPG.48d6895fa3c028e2612f30e5fde1f65f.JPG

Tomorrow   Mazatlan

oh well.

• Like 3

My youngest daughter, grandson and I did the Whale Watching through Cabo Adventures. I booked independently and it was a pretty good deal. Drinks were flowing for some, and we got a Bento Box to eat. We did see a few whales, but none were super close. Probably saw more in the morning, closer, waiting to disembark.

The line to get a tender at 5:30 was crazy. It took us 1 1/2  hrs to get one back to ship.

Also, so sorry to hear about your Dad. I’m glad your were there with him.

B57CF95C-40E0-4A6C-B83D-F10F18223FF8.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

My youngest daughter, grandson and I did the Whale Watching through Cabo Adventures. I booked independently and it was a pretty good deal. Drinks were flowing for some, and we got a Bento Box to eat. We did see a few whales, but none were super close. Probably saw more in the morning, closer, waiting to disembark.

The line to get a tender at 5:30 was crazy. It took us 1 1/2  hrs to get one back to ship.

Also, so sorry to hear about your Dad. I’m glad your were there with him.

So glad you got to see some whales.   I don't think I saw one of their tours with drinks, very good to know!

Now you know why you didn't see me all week. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mazatalan & PV

323859518_2960122947615772_5967951874106690878_n.thumb.jpg.1aeb5de21fea5eb52d0cd502159ca562.jpg

In Mazatlan, I saw a review of the Pulmonias, these hybrid golfcart/small cars and knew my crew would love these.   Everyone said oh they'll be everywhere when you get off the ship.  But I really like to have everything done ahead of time and just a plan.  

323901708_929519701788175_2997195404950804231_n.thumb.jpg.b1d38f4b11d867063eaa549d5ef13c5a.jpg

So I found a guy on facebook who did prebookings and locked two down ahead of time for our group.

We used Freddy with City Tours pulmonia.   Great guy very helpful.  He arranged a city tour, lunch, and beach time for us.

323765843_1376293946240646_7685834690800953440_n.thumb.jpg.b86bcdd29e74a9fdaa0f3ac9f76b2003.jpg

My girls really enjoyed it the tour and I got great reviews about the city and how awesome it was and we had to come back so i could enjoy it .   Made me feel good.

323886937_845980143306917_8591596377587095285_n.thumb.jpg.0c9a5df2de4a9380a5912cf4bf15f79b.jpg

PV

323871523_2679331118876484_7992657380812190386_n.jpg.b24af66c0ac9792b40616fd288e24a1f.jpg

I arranged a private tour this time, with the folks at toursbylocals.   I ran across them when I was in Europe and tried them out and was really quite pleased.  The folks met their guide and again got toured around for the day.

324108672_712552156960497_9062608057120210431_n.jpg.fa65f72f81e9d3fb811941927a70195e.jpg

I heard from both my family and our friends that this was the fan favorite stop and there was a desire to go back by air and soak in the city.   They had lunch in a small hut on the side of the mountain, homemade Mexican candy, lots of scenic stops.

324018605_895348248580975_1790254326114128232_n.thumb.jpg.126674a4bf9b78028280ff85598c6d03.jpg

Tomorrow I'll discuss their thoughts on ship and crew and we'll wrap it up.

• Like 3