Medication - Airport security & cruise security checks

LVinTennessee

11 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Guess the people who issued my DEA license gave me the wrong information. The original container is proof of prescription. Because of the risk of diversion, the law was changed to only send schedule 2 prescriptions electronically. One outlying clinic I worked at had to get a special exemption to be able to write schedule 2's in the special script pad, but we could only write for 3 days supply. And one of the caveats, since many of our patients were from away, was that we had instruct them verbally and in writing that they were to carry the meds on their original containers. 

Regardless of what you were told or how they are issued to persons from pharmacies, US federal law still does not require carriage in original bottles.  For border crossings, CBP recommends that you should carry them in the original bottles, but it is not mandated.  All that is required by law is proof or prescription.  A label is all that is needed.  Most scripts come with an additional label.  

I have never had any problems anywhere.  One thought however.  I have diabetes so I bring needles and testers.  I bring a note from my endocrinologist saying that I am diabetic and listing what diabetes related stuff I may be bringing.  This idea might be useful for other medical issues.  Nobody has ever bothered me for my needles and stuff but it can't hurt.

DON

I think if there are any issues it would be security outside of the US.

My old story of being In Hong Kong, we left Kid's epi-pen in the backpack and after it went through the x-ray machine, MIB jumpsuits/berets and submachine guns came out of no where. When it was revealed that it was an epi-pen (with Drs note) and not a weapon of mass destruction, the "Lt" waived everyone off, gave Kid a pat on the head, and gave the x-ray tech a "seriously" and "we'll talk later" look before he left.

Later this year or next, we'll try it again but with my bag of needles and insulin.

Edited by Philob

6 hours ago, poocher said:

So true, why do the scripts bottle have to be so big?!?!

Stop and think about it. How many pills in the Rx? How big are the pills/capsules? I have one Rx bottle that is very small. Another bottle for a different med that is 4 times the size. Same number of pills and the larger one is completely full, while the smaller one is only half full.

12 minutes ago, mom says said:

Stop and think about it. How many pills in the Rx? How big are the pills/capsules? I have one Rx bottle that is very small. Another bottle for a different med that is 4 times the size. Same number of pills and the larger one is completely full, while the smaller one is only half full.

And that is a full 3 month supply of very small pills in a bottle that could fit 2 years worth!

37F45152-B3E3-4173-BCD7-13FC2E0A1C56.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, poocher said:

So true, why do the scripts bottle have to be so big?!?!

Yes, this is really an absurd situation... the size of the bottle/container compared with the volume the little pills take up! 😠

1 hour ago, mom says said:

A few years ago, our CVS pharmacy stopped using/stocking the smallest size of those amber plastic containers, and not much later, eliminated what was then the smallest (and had previously been the next-to-smallest size).  So now, if there are, say, 10 or 20 tablets dispensed, they will go in a *smallest* container, one that is perhaps 1.5 inches in diameter and about 2.5 inches tall.  If the pills are very small, they won't even cover the bottom surface.  If they are larger, they might still take up less than 1/4 inch of the volume.  No, not "1/4 of the volume"... "1/4 inch of the volume", which is a much smaller proportion of the total volume.

We each have some meds that are very small pills, and the Rx is for one per day, so that even a 90 day supply still doesn't use even one third of the volume of the currently "small"-est bottle.  For larger pills, there are larger bottles, including some that are remarkably "big".  But for the smaller pills... no small containers at all anymore.

So... for travel, we now get tiny ziploc-style plastic bags, and ask the pharmacist to print out an extra "stick-on" label, and we just slap it on the little ziploc when the volume of pills is small.

Note that even with a larger volume of pills, if the "sides" of the "container" are flexible, like a ziploc, then the pills can settle into a much smaller amount of space.  Without a huge amount of empty space that a rigid container fills with "air", these ziplocs can compress very nicely, and even stack in a corner of some carrying case... or in a single large ziploc!

(This would save a lot of space, even if we still had the smallest size Rx bottles, given there isn't a lot of wasted air space.  The rigid containers, especially because they are round, take up a lot more space than they need to, given the volume of the contents within the containers.)

Yes, it's "legal" to put a pharmacy sticker on a ziploc, at least where we live.  How did we learn this?  When one of our prescriptions was dispensed this very way... in a ziploc with an Rx sticker on it. Bingo! 🙂 

When we need a few new Rx "stickers", we ask our pharmacist about 2 weeks before we plan to travel, so they can print them for us at their convenience.

We keep the little labeled ziplocs to re-use, and only create new ones if it gets tattered or if the date becomes "too old" (and that's subjective anyway).

And yup, we still get a few of the "jumbo" plastic containers, such as if there are 4 (or even 😎 big capsules taken each day...  But even then, we haven't yet needed to bring a 90-day supply with us...

(And they still take up way more space than needed, given the wasted space inside, and the wasted space between the cylindrical containers.)

GC

• Like 1

Separate out prescriptions from controlled substances. Most prescriptions are not controlled substances. I don't care what the TSA's rules are; controlled substances are illegal to possess, and most certainly illegal to carry over state lines without a valid prescription. Those should always be in the original prescription container. Prescriptions are generally fine in a daily pill box container, but of course you should have access to copies of the prescriptions just in case. 

Edited by sanger727

40 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Separate out prescriptions from controlled substances. Most prescriptions are not controlled substances. I don't care what the TSA's rules are; controlled substances are illegal to possess, and most certainly illegal to carry over state lines without a valid prescription. Those should always be in the original prescription container. Prescriptions are generally fine in a daily pill box container, but of course you should have access to copies of the prescriptions just in case. 

Don't forget that TSA rules for controlled substances apply only in the US. You will have totally different rules about meds in other countries.

DON

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Don't forget that TSA rules for controlled substances apply only in the US. You will have totally different rules about meds in other countries.

DON

And in other countries, there may well be completely different - or additional - medications that are restricted or completely prohibited, including some things that are OTC in the USA.

However, in the US, it is not (or very rarely!) required that someone carry the Rx bottle with them.  For example, someone might put a couple of pills in a purse or briefcase or pocket.  That is not (or very rarely) "illegal".  What is critical is that you DO actually have a proper Rx that could be verified.

Obviously, the fastest way to "verify" that IF one got stopped (which is usually quite unlikely) would be to have the bottle or a copy of the Rx script (on paper or in the cloud) so that it could be verified.

One difficulty with crossing borders where someone might "inspect" is "what is each pill", etc. It would take time for them for look that up (and that would probably annoy them in a major way), which is why we keep each med type in its own little properly labeled (pharmacy stick-on label) little ziploc.  IF any authority wants to "inspect", we'd want to make it as easy as possible for them.

However, in a purse/briefcase/carryon/etc., we'd have separate supplies for the day or two, easily at hand.  We could quickly show the "properly labeled pharmacy container" (the ziploc) should we be asked.

There can be *very* severe penalties in some countries for some specific meds... 😱

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Similar to the original bottles, this is another misnomer that tends to get erroneously passed on this topic. TSA does not have “rules” on medications. They do not regulate medications, and screeners do not possess law enforcement authority to enforce federal and local laws. TSA’s role is transportation security. Therefore, their main concern is medication in liquid form….and that is not because of the medication itself. 

TSA’s law enforcement arm is the Air Marshals, and they are not the ones screening you. 

If TSA ever hassles you about non-liquid prescriptions, demand they bring over a law enforcement officer. That is not their role, although they are known sometimes to step out of their lane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Similar to the original bottles, this is another misnomer that tends to get erroneously passed on this topic. TSA does not have “rules” on medications. They do not regulate medications, and screeners do not possess law enforcement authority to enforce federal and local laws. TSA’s role is transportation security. Therefore, their main concern is medication in liquid form….and that is not because of the medication itself. 

TSA’s law enforcement arm is the Air Marshals, and they are not the ones screening you. 

If TSA ever hassles you about non-liquid prescriptions, demand they bring over a law enforcement officer. That is not their role, although they are known sometimes to step out of their lane. 

But in terms of controlled substances, it doesn't matter. Federal and State laws restrict possession of controlled substances. Carrying a controlled substance without proof of prescription on you is a really bad idea. You could get stopped by the police on the way to the airport, on the way to the cruise, or in customs. All of which have the authority to make an arrest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

But in terms of controlled substances, it doesn't matter. Federal and State laws restrict possession of controlled substances. Carrying a controlled substance without proof of prescription on you is a really bad idea. You could get stopped by the police on the way to the airport, on the way to the cruise, or in customs. All of which have the authority to make an arrest. 

Well, of course. No one said otherwise. 

Lots of good responses here.  I, like the OP and especially since I'm a bit older now and recently had my hip replaced plus covid, noro, etc., bring the pharmacy with me.  I've had noro on an Alaskan cruise one, and OMG was I sick!  It just kicked my butt.  

It's a bit of a hassle, but comfort is so important when cruising if you start to feel under the weather. 

I just want to share what I bring on my cruises now.

Supplements (I bring supplements but I start boosting in advance of airline and cruise travel)

Pain meds; both hard core stuff and OTC.  I hurt my back on a trip and was glad I had some pain meds with me. 

I once bought a small heating pad in Key West.  That was the trip where I hurt my back.  I bring it on all trips.  

Pedialyte - I hate this stuff, but it helped me out when I was dehydrated and was getting awful foot cramps.  I bring this is the powder form.  

Covid kits - why not - we got them free from govt.  

I think after I had my hip replacement surgery that this must have been a real attack on my body because I now seem more susceptible to problems even though I'm in good shape.  

On 2/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, c-leg5 said:

Is this for a US cruise?

I always carry an extra 2 weeks at least and generally a month, depends on your comfort level.

Why? I usually take only what I need. I typically just throw my Rx away the last day away from home.

On 2/12/2023 at 7:31 PM, poocher said:

Vitamins & supplements are OTC meds, really no different from Tylenol or pepto.  Take them any way you want.  Prescription medication should be in original containers ESPECIALLY if they are controlled substances.  Many will say not necessary but do you want to take the chance some officious type confiscates your prescription meds?

Your advice that OTC do not have to be on labeled containers whereas Rx do does not make sense. How would some officious type know what types of pills in unlabeled container are? The pills my be OTC, Rx, or illegal pills. They just don't know. 

8 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Your advice that OTC do not have to be on labeled containers whereas Rx do does not make sense. How would some officious type know what types of pills in unlabeled container are? The pills my be OTC, Rx, or illegal pills. They just don't know. 

They know.  They are identifiable by the imprints.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Why? I usually take only what I need. I typically just throw my Rx away the last day away from home.

An extra supply of Rx incase you have a delay in your last major leg getting home. Ship can't dock, flight delay, car broke down or accident, whatever. Enough to get yourself an emergency supply from a pharmacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

I like to be prepared and avoid unnecessary hassle. In case of emergencies there is quite enough that you HAVE to reorganize - accommodation, flights etc. I don’t need to have to arrange emergency prescription refills in addition.

It has been useful more than once but return flights from UK canceled due to volcanic ash over Iceland comes to mind as one incident.

Travel isn’t t easy but some problems can be averted.

1 hour ago, Philob said:

An extra supply of Rx incase you have a delay in your last major leg getting home. Ship can't dock, flight delay, car broke down or accident, whatever. Enough to get yourself an emergency supply from a pharmacy.

This, absolutely!!

And especially if we are out of the country.

It would be incredibly NON-trivial to get "more" of some of our meds in some other countries.  And a few are difficult to get even here at home; they need to be specially ordered and occasionally it's difficult to find a pharmacy that can even order one of them.

Futher, at least two of them are extraordinarily expensive.  No foreign pharmacy, even if they carry the med, is likely to take our insurance card and hand over thousands of dollars of a med, right there an then (if they even had it or could get it).  One would cost a few thousand a month, without insurance.

There are any number of "things" that could go wrong and delay a return home.  Are they likely?  Fortunately, no.  But some of these delays *have* occurred over the past several years.

So, for critical meds... better safe than sorry!

GC

A friend and his wife were due to fly home from visiting their son based in Okinawa on 9/12/2001.  Flights were cancelled and they couldn’t leave for over 10 days and ran out of meds.  His story about getting refills was enough to convince me always to travel with extra meds especially when traveling internationally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I typically just throw my Rx away the last day away from home.

You mean you toss the actual prescription from the physician?   I don't have an RX in paper format.  I bring the med containers with the RX labels.  As explained by others I bring a few extra counts of the med's in case I get held over.  Happened to us last year when we had a return delay due to COVID.     

On 2/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, capriccio said:

OP - I presume your questions concern bringing meds on domestic flights and everyone has provided you useful information.

But anyone on international flights needs to confirm what meds for personal use are allowed and disallowed to be taken into the country you are entering and under what conditions (need to declare it or not, storage requirements, prescription info, etc). Ignorance is no excuse.  For example, Japan is very strict and even some common over the counter medicines (sudafed for example) are not allowed to be brought into the country (but you can buy it in local stores).

We are leaving next month for Australia and New Zealand and posters on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers board suggested reading their countries' official guidance (https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances and https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/travel-to-and-from-nz/travelling-to-nz/medicines/).  As visitors to their countries, we are now prepared to follow their requirements.

We are heading to Australia/New Zealand nest week.  I've never taken my meds in their original bottles, but I am for this trip as well as doctor's letter, etc.  And I willl declare everything.  Since I take some bulky nasal sprays for allergies (prescribed) it's taking up a lot of space, but I'm not flying all that way and then chance not following the rules.

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

That is a real waste of money in my opinion.

DON

I read it as the paper prescription from the Doc being discarded.  I hope I was right.   Tossing the actual meds would be wasteful.   But even tossing proof of prescription before clearing customs at home seems a bad move.  

Edited by ldubs