Travel Insurance

jh1809

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am going to give the Nationwide a call tomorrow and see what the age and medical extensions would be.  We are current account holders and it may just be worth upgrading the account.

The Flexplus gives worldwide cover and as joint count holders you are both covered.  The age extention last time we paid was £65 p.a. and also covers both account holders. 

Some restrictions like max 30/31(?) days for any holiday (but you can extend that, presumably at a cost) and of course the critical medical declarations which may be covered or come with a surcharge.

Cruises are covered but for £40 p.a. you can add on additional cruise cover for missed ports and cabin confinement.  

It doesn't need to be your primary current account i.e. one in which you pay in a minimum each month or have 2 or more DD going out.  Hope it fits the bill for you. 

• Like 1

So the Age extension covers both people, as we are both over 70.  Don't think I would bother with the cruise cover.  It's the medical extensions I need to find out about.  So far, it would cost £156 for the Flexplus account (£13 per month) plus £65 for age,  So that's £221.00.  I will call them tomorrow and ask.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Advanced Diver said:

So you are limited to the amount of cover for the holiday, just in tiers.

I believe Davecttr is with the same company I am with. I am not limited to any amount of cover on my policy. It is an annual one as I have said, covering any amount of holidays I take in that year. It includes cancellation for up to £5000 but you can increase that for a small amount. You are also covered for emergencies and repatriation up to £10 million.  Perhaps you should research companies further before you say things about most insurance companies.

Edited by Yorkypete
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So the Age extension covers both people, as we are both over 70.  Don't think I would bother with the cruise cover.  It's the medical extensions I need to find out about.  So far, it would cost £156 for the Flexplus account (£13 per month) plus £65 for age,  So that's £221.00.  I will call them tomorrow and ask.

We took out a Flex Plus account, just for the insurance, but did not change our bank account.

We have three cruises booked this year, so decided to go for the cruise cover. 

Interestingly, I have just done another quote with a company I did yesterday who quoted £730 for both of us.  I did it without the medical bits.  The quote was £621, so that means they only raise it by £110 for the conditions.  Nationwide is beginning to sound a lot better!  

24 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Interestingly, I have just done another quote with a company I did yesterday who quoted £730 for both of us.  I did it without the medical bits.  The quote was £621, so that means they only raise it by £110 for the conditions.  Nationwide is beginning to sound a lot better!  

Let us know how you get on.    I hadn’t thought about the cover being worldwide so even as a solo it’s looking quite good.   

7 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Let us know how you get on.    I hadn’t thought about the cover being worldwide so even as a solo it’s looking quite good.   

Yes I will do.  I imagine the medical screening will be different for Worldwide over Europe.

Edited by jeanlyon

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

I believe Davecttr is with the same company I am with. I am not limited to any amount of cover on my policy. It is an annual one as I have said, covering any amount of holidays I take in that year. It includes cancellation for up to £5000 but you can increase that for a small amount. You are also covered for emergencies and repatriation up to £10 million.  Perhaps you should research companies further before you say things about most insurance companies.

Yes, any number of holidays. I am just about to book an Iona Canaries cruise for next January and that is covered by my existing annual policy which renews on 1 Feb 🙂

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

What? You are covered for £5000 per holiday you just said that. How is that no limit? I think we must be talking at cross purposes here as it's clear to me that there is a limit to how much you can claim for any one holiday, so the holiday price is relevant to the insurance price. No doubt if you took out bronze insurance it would cover you for less on any individual holiday but be cheaper to purchase. That was my point and as far as I remember my only point which should have been non controversial.

8 minutes ago, Advanced Diver said:

What? You are covered for £5000 per holiday you just said that. How is that no limit? I think we must be talking at cross purposes here as it's clear to me that there is a limit to how much you can claim for any one holiday, so the holiday price is relevant to the insurance price. No doubt if you took out bronze insurance it would cover you for less on any individual holiday but be cheaper to purchase. That was my point and as far as I remember my only point which should have been non controversial.

Nationwide cover for cancellation is £5k per person. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever book that expensive a holiday !

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Nationwide cover for cancellation is £5k per person. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever book that expensive a holiday !

We had to have a custom policy from Holiday Extras last year to cover us for a 30 night cruise on Arcadia last September (Canada and New York), as we needed more than £5000. The cover was I think £6K. They said that the wouldn't/couldn't cover the holiday at all if the cancellation cover was less than the holiday cost. Nationwide is interesting but at £5k probably not enough for our most expensive holiday in a year (which is not necessarily a cruise!).

1 minute ago, Advanced Diver said:

We had to have a custom policy from Holiday Extras last year to cover us for a 30 night cruise on Arcadia last September (Canada and New York), as we needed more than £5000. The cover was I think £6K. They said that the wouldn't/couldn't cover the holiday at all if the cancellation cover was less than the holiday cost. Nationwide is interesting but at £5k probably not enough for our most expensive holiday in a year (which is not necessarily a cruise!).

The only time we have spent more than £10k on a holiday was a 5 week tour of Australia !

I know you cannot take it with you, but I do start to get a little twitchy when the cost of a holiday starts to exceed £6k for us as a couple 

Well, have just done an online quote with Nationwide and it comes to about £295 extra on top of the £13 per month, just a bit more than half all my other quotes.  The only thing I don't understand is that at the moment, I am Flex Direct account and not Flex Plus.  Do I have to do all this again, once I upgrade the account?

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Well, have just done an online quote with Nationwide and it comes to about £295 extra on top of the £13 per month, just a bit more than half all my other quotes.  The only thing I don't understand is that at the moment, I am Flex Direct account and not Flex Plus.  Do I have to do all this again, once I upgrade the account?

You have to call the insurance department,  to add on the extra age supplement, and declare your health issues.  Took me about 10 minutes in total.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You have to call the insurance department,  to add on the extra age supplement, and declare your health issues.  Took me about 10 minutes in total.

Hi Wowzz.  The age supplement and med supplement was included in the quote.  I'm just confused about when I upgrade the account.  There wasn't anywhere to pay of course.  So I think if I wait until about April to upgrade and then do it again, that should be it.  Very grateful to all on here.  Saving a fortune.

Edited by jeanlyon

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I would consider the extra cruise cover Jean. It’s only £20 pp. We missed a port on our Cunard cruise last year and they paid out £300. I’m pretty sure you are also covered if you are late back from a tour and miss the ship. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Wowzz.  The age supplement and med supplement was included in the quote.  I'm just confused about when I upgrade the account.  There wasn't anywhere to pay of course.  So I think if I wait until about April to upgrade and then do it again, that should be it.  Very grateful to all on here.  Saving a fortune.

You upgrade the account by contacting Nationwide. You have to upgrade from a Flex Account to a Flex Plus Account. You also get other things such as mobile phone insurance and break down cover. You can also withdraw cash abroad with no extra charges. I just called them and it was done over the phone. Sorry if I am reiterating things you already know. Just trying to be useful haha. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

You upgrade the account by contacting Nationwide. You have to upgrade from a Flex Account to a Flex Plus Account. You also get other things such as mobile phone insurance and break down cover. You can also withdraw cash abroad with no extra charges. I just called them and it was done over the phone. Sorry if I am reiterating things you already know. Just trying to be useful haha. 

Hi, I read that you can go online and upgrade the account.  Is that wrong?  I am going to wait until late April, as I want the year to cover 2 cruises and we are not going until October on the first one

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi, I read that you can go online and upgrade the account.  Is that wrong?  I am going to wait until late April, as I want the year to cover 2 cruises and we are not going until October on the first one

I would seriously consider the add-on of £40 for the cruise cover. We caught covid on our cruise in Sept. on Britannia. WE were confined to cabin and missed5 ports. They paid out in a week £1500 for the missed ports. Excellent. It also includes missed ports full stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Advanced Diver said:

There is no bronze insurance at Nationwide as far as I know. As we never would book a very expensive holiday  I would not know of extra costs. As I said we have never been asked the price of the holiday by the company.We are insured for a year, worldwide  for any number of holidays inc our visits to the USA..

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes Jean. You can do it online but I had a question and the agent offered to do it there and then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I would seriously consider the add-on of £40 for the cruise cover. We caught covid on our cruise in Sept. on Britannia. WE were confined to cabin and missed5 ports. They paid out in a week £1500 for the missed ports. Excellent. It also includes missed ports full stop.

Sound advice.

• Like 1