Travel Insurance

jh1809

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Well, have just done an online quote with Nationwide and it comes to about £295 extra on top of the £13 per month, just a bit more than half all my other quotes.  The only thing I don't understand is that at the moment, I am Flex Direct account and not Flex Plus.  Do I have to do all this again, once I upgrade the account?

I don't think it's a matter of upgrading your FlexDirect Account but opening a new additional FlexPlus Account and then perhaps getting them to switch your Direct account transactions to the Plus account - or keep your Direct a/c and just have the Plus account for the travel benefits making sure you finance the monthly payments.  We had both at one time but only have the Flexplus now for the travel insurance (but we're not too mercenary as we do have other Nationwide products. 😁)  

Pleased the figures look promising.  Hope you get a favourable outcome tomorrow. 

Edited by kruzseeka

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I don't think it's a matter of upgrading your FlexDirect Account but opening a new additional FlexPlus Account and then perhaps getting them to switch your Direct account transactions to the Plus account - or keep your Direct a/c and just have the Plus account for the travel benefits making sure you finance the monthly payments.  We had both at one time but only have the Flexplus now for the travel insurance (but we're not too mercenary as we do have other Nationwide products. 😁)  

Pleased the figures look promising.  Hope you get a favourable outcome tomorrow. 

Why would I have 2 accounts instead of upgrading?  Don't understand that.

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Why would I have 2 accounts instead of upgrading?  Don't understand that.

Only perhaps if you wanted to take advantage of the 5% interest they are giving on balances up to £1500 at the moment on FlexDirect accounts.  

From their site:

5% AER (4.89% gross a year) in-credit interest fixed for 12 months on balances up to £1,500.

Edited by kruzseeka

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Only perhaps if you wanted to take advantage of the 5% interest they are giving on balances up to £1500 at the moment on FlexDirect accounts.  

From their site:

5% AER (4.89% gross a year) in-credit interest fixed for 12 months on balances up to £1,500.

Hmmm, been with NW for as long as I can remember.  Will have to think about it.

When we opened a Flexplus account last year and then once it was open you had to phone insurance company UK Travel to confirm price for pre existing health issues and they then gave you a quote of what extra on top of £13 per month and we paid £40 extra for cruise cover. Don't know if the system has changed since. Local Nationwide branch gave us a phone number to ring to get quote for pre existing health issues to make sure it was worth switching current accounts. Like I said once account was open we rang back to confirm pre existing health issues were added to policy.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

When we opened a Flexplus account last year and then once it was open you had to phone insurance company UK Travel to confirm price for pre existing health issues and they then gave you a quote of what extra on top of £13 per month and we paid £40 extra for cruise cover. Don't know if the system has changed since. Local Nationwide branch gave us a phone number to ring to get quote for pre existing health issues to make sure it was worth switching current accounts. Like I said once account was open we rang back to confirm pre existing health issues were added to policy.

That was what I had to do as well. There was no option to add on the cruise cover,  or the age cover on line. And payment was made over the phone as well.

OK, so I telephoned the insurance line today and spoke to a lovely lady.  She told me a couple of things that I didn't know such as if I haven't had treatment for either of my conditions in 12 months, then they simply make a note for me on my profile and there is nothing extra to pay.  Otherr half will have to pay for his.  It gets better and better.  Thank you all for the suggestion.  I will be saving over £300 on our cover.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Well done Jean. It’s so nice to find a bit of positivity when there is so much doom and gloom going on. 

Yes there is a lot of doom and gloom isn't there.  On another bright note, I decided not to pay £500 for xrays on my dog who is slightly lame, but instead got my osteopath to see him.  She is animal trained as well.  She found 2 stiff places in his back, worked on him and eased them up.  £45!  Must be my week!  Xrays wouldn't have shown anything most likely.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes there is a lot of doom and gloom isn't there.  On another bright note, I decided not to pay £500 for xrays on my dog who is slightly lame, but instead got my osteopath to see him.  She is animal trained as well.  She found 2 stiff places in his back, worked on him and eased them up.  £45!  Must be my week!  Xrays wouldn't have shown anything most likely.

Better buy a lottery ticket!😊

• Haha 2

Regarding the Nationwide FlexPlus accout insurance, you can do most upgrades and screening online at https://nationwide.ukitravel.com/customerportal

I also found that for the Cruise extension (which gives you additional cover for cruises such a change of ports - but is not needed for basic medical and evacuation) may be less than £40 as they take part year Pro-rata until the end of when they think your annual cover goes (there is an annual expiry date of the travel insurance but cover is continous )

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlanCruise said:

Regarding the Nationwide FlexPlus accout insurance, you can do most upgrades and screening online at https://nationwide.ukitravel.com/customerportal

I also found that for the Cruise extension (which gives you additional cover for cruises such a change of ports - but is not needed for basic medical and evacuation) may be less than £40 as they take part year Pro-rata until the end of when they think your annual cover goes (there is an annual expiry date of the travel insurance but cover is continous )

Yes, but to get a note on my insurance account about a medical condition that I haven't had treatment for in over 12 months, I need to phone.  They then put it as a note and not as a current condition.  That way I'm covered if it flares up.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, Valfan said:

Was it easy to find possible travel insurance companies/policies for a world cruise? I've noticed, when searching for cover for sort of "ordinary" length cruises, that they cover mainly 30-31 days, and I think one company mentioned 45 or so. But none went up to anything like 99 nights.  Thanks

It took some time but I found at least three companies. You have to phone, don't try online. Then you pruchase 'extensions' of cover. Staysure & Insure&Go were two I can remember.

We bank with Barclays and have their travel pack for £12.99 a month in combination with Aviva. It also includes excellent breakdown cover.

Well we have just given them a massive test having cancelled on 1st Feb three days before our Caribbean cruise due to Covid. No quibble refund received exactly three weeks later. We have another four holidays booked within the next 11 months including two long haul and two cruises, so a great value product that has proved itself.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

We bank with Barclays and have their travel pack for £12.99 a month in combination with Aviva. It also includes excellent breakdown cover.

Well we have just given them a massive test having cancelled on 1st Feb three days before our Caribbean cruise due to Covid. No quibble refund received exactly three weeks later. We have another four holidays booked within the next 11 months including two long haul and two cruises, so a great value product that has proved itself.  

Sounds a good deal, similar to Nationwide. 

Can you get the insurance even if you do not bank with Barclays  ? 

19 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

79, I believe with Barclays.

They must have increased it since I used it some years back.

Reason I stopped using it was when we were going on an extended eight week holiday the cost of increasing from 31 days was more than I could buy an annual policy for.