Travel Insurance

jh1809

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

absolutely agree!  They will use any dodge.  how can a broken leg be anything to do with a heart attack. 

As I just said, it woukd have been because she did not fully declare her full medical history.

I do agree that it is unfair, if it is actually true.

Where is MegaBear when you need an insurance expert !

• Like 1

A patient at the hospital where I work told me. She was making a claim herself and was having a nightmare getting it sorted. As I said “I heard of someone”. However, it wouldn’t surprise me as insurance companies will try and avoid paying out whenever possible. 

• Like 1

I have spent some time doing quotes for both of us for an annual policy for Europe.  The comparison sites gave me the worst prices.  Over £1100 for the year.  We are 76 and 84 with a couple of conditions each.  The best was Free Spirit at £700 and Holiday Extras at £800.  Staysure wanted ov er £1100.  Just awful prices.

Just did Moneysupermarket quote - £3 Grand!!!!!!!!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, slug33ukuk said:

Last year I paid 399.00 for annual cruise insurance for Europe etc....with existing conditions ...this time we are going back to Caribbean  (so world wide inc  USA) £1150 

Ditto, we had the same kind of rise for USA and Canada. We are cramming holidays outwith Europe in to make the most of the extra cost cover!

57 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I have spent some time doing quotes for both of us for an annual policy for Europe.  The comparison sites gave me the worst prices.  Over £1100 for the year.  We are 76 and 84 with a couple of conditions each.  The best was Free Spirit at £700 and Holiday Extras at £800.  Staysure wanted ov er £1100.  Just awful prices.

Just did Moneysupermarket quote - £3 Grand!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ditto, we had the same kind of rise for USA and Canada. We are cramming holidays outwith Europe in to make the most of the extra cost cover!

I don't know where all these large figures are coming from but our insurance for both of us, with some minor conditions each ( and we pay for covid cover , age related and cruise cover)  is a great deal lessw from our Building Society....and we have had a couple of claims paid straight away.

2 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I don't know where all these large figures are coming from but our insurance for both of us, with some minor conditions each ( and we pay for covid cover , age related and cruise cover)  is a great deal lessw from our Building Society....and we have had a couple of claims paid straight away.

Depends on your pre existing conditions, some cost. Minor conditions obviously cost less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Also depends on the level of cover you are taking out, i.e. the cost of your holiday.

• Like 1

I have renewed our annual insurance tlhis week with Staysure.  We have been with them for a few years and they give us a discount but while I was speaking to the young lady she very kindly informed me that it is fortunate that I am renewing now because next year it will increase significantly because I will pass into a new decade with my birthday next month.

I will of course be checking with other companies next year as I have always done.  Our Policy this year has cost £253 even though OH has heart problems and I am currently having a course of treatment at the UHNS.

Edited by Josy1953

5 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Depends very much on the individual conditions, and even (asthma for example) when it was first diagnosed. What might seem relatively minor, and indeed be relatively minor, to one individual might be viewed very different by an insurance company because of its claims history.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Advanced Diver said:

Also depends on the level of cover you are taking out, i.e. the cost of your holiday.

Our insurance is for the holiday and does not depend in any way on the cost of the holiday....unless it costs in the millions.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Depends very much on the individual conditions, and even (asthma for example) when it was first diagnosed. What might seem relatively minor, and indeed be relatively minor, to one individual might be viewed very different by an insurance company because of its claims history.

Harry, I will not go into the full details but they include high blood pressure and gall bladder being removed!. We have three other minor conditions between us.

We previously used Staysure.  When we came to renew this year they wanted £650 for European annual cover. 

So, following advice on here, we opened a Nationwide account, and annual worldwide cover is less than £300! 

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I have just taken out an annual Europe policy with All Clear. Four conditions including 1 minor for £385, 5 cruises for £77 each.

Or 10 cruises for £38.50each.

Still seems expensive for one person just for Europe. 

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Depends on your medical conditions

Indeed. 

And I know I am guilty as well in quoting prices.

Just throwing out prices for insurance is wrong,  as there are so many personal circumstances to take into account,  that it is impossible to give a single "best buy" recommendation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

Our insurance is for the holiday and does not depend in any way on the cost of the holiday....unless it costs in the millions.

Interesting and unusual. If just for example you go to get a quote from Holiday Extras they will ask you to enter the cost of the holiday, as do most insurers..

2 minutes ago, Advanced Diver said:

Interesting and unusual. If just for example you go to get a quote from Holiday Extras they will ask you to enter the cost of the holiday, as do most insurers..

Our policy is for a year. Any holiday in that time, whatever the cost, is included. It costs around £300 for cover as mentioned in post 37. We have never had to tell them the cost of the holiday, and we take sometimes 4 per year inc Malta, cruises and sometimes the USA to see our son.

7 hours ago, Advanced Diver said:

My insurer does not require the cost of the holiday and offers several levels of annual cover. My 'gold' cover includes cancellation of up to £5000, more than enough to cover my needs.

Edited by davecttr

7 hours ago, Advanced Diver said:

Sorry, as others have said,  that is incorrect. Holiday Extras may ask for the cost, but others do not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed. 

And I know I am guilty as well in quoting prices.

Just throwing out prices for insurance is wrong,  as there are so many personal circumstances to take into account,  that it is impossible to give a single "best buy" recommendation. 

Very much indeed.

A few years ago we used to buy our annual travel insurance for under £250,then came

my Mrs "heart" condition and that took it up about £40 or so. Then came my condition ,

a totally different heart condition . Most insurance companies were having non of it but 

a small few would insure us but at an eyewatering cost to us.

Unless your comparing things that the insurance companies think are minor ,you are 

going to pay a lot more for it .

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Or 10 cruises for £38.50each.

Still seems expensive for one person just for Europe. 

You don’t really get a discount for one.  For example, the policies the banks offer cover a couple with individual charges for pre existing conditions, age etc.   No policy will ever be half for one person.  

19 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Depends on your pre existing conditions, some cost. Minor conditions obviously cost less.

I now have to declare a hip replacement as I fell and broke it.  And diverticular disease!!  My husband has BP and atrial fibrillation.  

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

My insurer does not require the cost of the holiday and offers several levels of annual cover. My 'gold' cover includes cancellation of up to £5000, more than enough to cover my needs.

So you are limited to the amount of cover for the holiday, just in tiers.