How does airport to ship transfer work (FLL)?

Nickelpenny

I usually book my own air tickets but rates are exorbitant these days.  So I bit the bullet and purchased my airfare via Flight Ease (prices were ok and I was afraid they would just keep climbing).  I am taking a redeye and arrive in FLL at 0930 on the day of sailing.  Too eliminate any glitches I purchased a transfer (that way I don't have to worry about it).  How does it work?  I may just have a carry-on though thinking about checking in my one bag just so I don't have to worry about overhead space on the 3 planes I am taking to get there.  I have to work the day before so taking the red-eye was really my only option.  So will someone be there to meet me?  TIA!!

After one bad experience with a HAL airport transfer when we had to wait at the airport for 2 hours because a different flight was delayed, we always use a ride share or cab.  This morning we took a cab from the ship to FLL,  less than 10 minutes for $15.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

So will someone be there to meet me?  TIA!!

By 9:30 AM, plus time to deplane, and walk to baggage claim, someone from HAL should definitely be there, especially since they will be looking for you. 
The HAL representative will likely have a clipboard with the HAL logo; check in with that person. You'll be given instructions as to where to wait, or to head out, or whatever the plan is. Just sit and relax until you are led to the bus. 

• Like 3

We have booked the Holland America transfer several times in Fort Lauderdale.  After the flight,  you go to baggage claim to get your luggage, there will be someone there from Holland America waiting on you.  As RuthC said, they will have a clipboard with your name on it.  They will instruct you to get your luggage and show you where to wait.  When the bus arrives, they will come get your group and lead you out.

• Like 2

If your flight arrives well before the ship's boarding time, plan on a long wait.  Much easier if you arrive closer to, or after the start of the ship boarding time. 

Ship transfers when leaving the ship to get to the airport are a lot more secure. It is the arriving transfers, when various passengers need to be met at different times and at different terminals, that can be far more problematic. .

The hard thing about FLL is you can actually see the cruise port from the airport, yet it is maze of freeways to get you there.  Only the crow flies easily between these two points.  FLL has vastly improved their airport services from our early cruise days, when I think there was one restaurant only selling hot dogs.

I've heard from others that you cannot cancel the ship transfers. 

I'd try to do that and take Uber/Lyft.  Or taxi if it is your preference.  We've been taken on some LONGER than necessary taxi rides over the years in Fort Lauderdale so Uber/Lyft is our preference. 

If you cannot get a refund, I'd head to baggage claim and look for the lady with the HAL clipboard and off you go as @RuthC described appropriately (as usual).

And don't forget to look for the ship when landing....She will be the classy one with the dark hull!

Enjoy the cruise!

• Like 2

We have always used a taxi or Uber from the airport to PEV. Last time was in 2021 and a cab was $25 for the two of us. I hate waiting around for a crowded bus shuttle. Even when we got off the ship in 2021 the Taxi was less than buying two transfers on the ship.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fellswoop said:

So we have Hal flights and hotel for FLL in April. Our flight doesn't get in till midnight. How does that work? Private driver meeting us? 

I'd ask my TA for how to handle......Hotel airport shuttle perhaps?

Edited by FlaMariner

13 hours ago, fellswoop said:

So we have Hal flights and hotel for FLL in April. Our flight doesn't get in till midnight. How does that work? Private driver meeting us? 

You could take a taxi or Uber, last time in FLL we used the Embassy Suites on 17th street and a taxi cost us about $25. The airport in FLL is very close to local hotels and the cruise port.

3 hours ago, fellswoop said:

But our hotel thru HAL includes transfer from airport to their hotel. I'm sure it will be clarified as it gets closer.

So you will have a choice.  Wait around (for perhaps a minute or perhaps 30 minutes) for your transfer or simply walk outside the luggage area, grab a taxi, and be at your hotel in a few short minutes.  I still recall our one time we decided to trust a crusie line transfer (it was on Celebrity).  We arrived in Buenos Aires, claimed our luggage, and quickly found the transfer person (she had a sign).  She told us to go relax in the nearby coffee shop since they were going to wait for about 1 1/2 hours for another flight with a few more to be transferred.  We had been flying all night, were tired, and quite annoyed.  So we simply grabbed a taxi to our hotel.  We got to the hotel, checked-in, and than went out for a long relaxing breakfast.  Nearly 2 hours later as we walked back into the hotel, our transfer van was just arriving.  Lesson learned.   

Hank

• Like 2

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

You could take a taxi or Uber, last time in FLL we used the Embassy Suites on 17th street and a taxi cost us about $25. The airport in FLL is very close to local hotels and the cruise port.

What was your impression of Embassy Suites on 17 th Street Terry ?

16 minutes ago, horseymike said:

What was your impression of Embassy Suites on 17 the Street Terry ?

It is an older hotel but still Hilton quality and good for a stay the night before a cruise. They have a nice hot cooked to order breakfast and a bar. Last time we stayed there was August 2021 and the bar was not open because of Covid. I am a Hilton Diamond member so we always try to book a Hilton when we can. 

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

What was your impression of Embassy Suites on 17 th Street Terry ?

We have stayed there too often (the bar is again open) and the rooms are in need of a major update.  The lobby area was recently renovated and is quite nice.  We like that "Kellys Landing" is only a short walk and a place where we can get real Maine Lobster (not like the garbage lobster tails served on most cruises), great Chowder, etc.  The recent price increases at the Embassy Suite are an incentive to look for a new place.

Hank

• Like 1

Another vote for just taking a taxi or uber, it is cheaper and quicker in Fort Lauderdale. We have done so even after paying for a transfer by mistake, the convenience was well worth the monetary loss. I did not see anyone factor in the time needed to load fifty people and their luggage and their walkers onto and off of the bus.

• Haha 2

In 2021 Celebrity wanted $16pp for transfers from the ship to FLL airport, sold onboard. We did an Uber for $28 total and didn't have to wait for a bus to fill up. We probably got to the airport while the bus was still loading at the ship.

We just did a transfer from the port to FLL last Sunday (we had excess OBC to use up so it really did not cost us out of pocket).  Luckily we had 4 hours before our flight, as it took us one hour from Customs to the airport!  Plus we had to walk further than if we had just used our normal approach of a taxi.

As to the Embassy Suites, a local restaurant owned in the area told us that this facility has been very slow to keep up with updating/remodeling as compared to other Embassy's.  I have not stayed there, so cannot verify, but keep this in mind.  We stayed at the closeby Hyatt Place and the rooms have been updated and the service was great.  The shuttle service from the airport was a bit of a hassle and cost $5, so I would just spend $15-20 and take a taxi.  Shuttle to the pier was $9 pp and was very efficient. 

• Like 1

The Embassy Suites on 17th is disgusting.  We changed rooms three times before finding one that was just passable.  The elevators and public spaces are crammed with people, including the evening Happy Hour and breakfast buffet (which we never do).

The Renaissance Cruise Port is okay but that’s it.  We’ve stayed out in Plantation a few times but have also stayed in various hotels around the port, looking for a good spot.  I’ve heard the Hilton Marina is pretty good so we might try that next time.  One day we’ll find a winner.

The taxis try to gouge you so watch out for that.  $20 (including tip) is more than enough.  Ask the cost when you get in the taxi.  Last guy told me it was $25 and I told him “No it’s not.  I’ll give you $20 and that’s it.”  He nodded and we headed out.  

Editing to add:  I was able to cancel a HAL transfer last September but it took a couple of calls.  The reservations line guy had booked us from the wrong airport (YVR to Canada Place instead of SEA to Canada Place) so maybe that’s why I could get it cancelled.  I can’t imagine why they’d refuse to reimburse you, though, because SEA to Canada Place was fully booked but they said they could put me on a list in case of cancellations so it does happen.

Edited by *Miss G*

15 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ve heard the Hilton Marina is pretty good so we might try that next time.  One day we’ll find a winner

We stayed at the Hilton Marina once, but they charged us a $65 resort fee for one night before the cruise and there was nothing close to walk to for food other than the hotel. In June we are spending 3 nights pre cruise at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort before our Equinox cruise. It is expensive but they have one bedroom suites with an ocean view. They also have a full service beach facility with pools and swim up bars.

• Thanks 1