Princess Hotels in Europe

HMSDingy

Although Platinum members, we've never stayed at the hotels suggested by Princess. This coming November were looking at a Med cruise and would like to stay for at least one night pre-cruise. Has anyone used this service? I know that although the hotels tend to be a bit more pricey, they do include transfers from airport  & to ship. 

Just now, Mflem1278 said:

We stayed at a Princess hotel pre-cruise in Rome in November 2022.  Nice place, directly across from the train/subway/bus station.  Yes it included transfers.  Best Western Premier Hotel Royal Santina

Curious to know how much you paid for the hotel. The Princess websites lists the prices at $299 Canadian. Doesn't specify if it's for one or two nights.

Looks to me like it was $308.  And that was one night.  Included transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship and then from ship to airport.  I don't know if that is considered expensive in Europe or not.  It was a really nice place and we were happy with what we paid.

44 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Curious to know how much you paid for the hotel. The Princess websites lists the prices at $299 Canadian. Doesn't specify if it's for one or two nights.

I have no personal experience with this but I have read a number of times here on CC that the Princess price is listed per person. Make sure you know exactly what you are looking at in regard to prices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We have booked pre-cruise hotels several times now...it has now become our "standard MO" now that we are committed to going in at least a day early (since we missed a flight and consequently the ship last year for a transatlantic!)  We generally do not do this for Europe (although we *have* done so with NCL).  Have done this solely in the US (so far) with Princess.  We like the fact that all transfers are included and we just "don't have to worry about any of those details".  Yes...we pay a premium for doing it this say...don't care! 😄

• Like 2

We use them whenever possible have stayed at the Tivoli in Copenhagen twice so far pre cruise, love it. Airport to hotel, nice location across from the Tivoli Garden, hotel to ship. They take care of the luggage and both times we enjoyed this hotel. Have used them in Vancouver twice as well across from the port both pre and post cruise, again all transfers included.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

If I opt to book a different hotel, can I arrange to take the Princess shuttle from one of their hotels to the ship on embarkation day?

No. In several cities they do have locations that you can buy a transfer from (as opposed to airport transfer). For example - in London, it is Victoria Coach Station. This must be purchased in advance.

• Thanks 1

Our experience with multiple cruise lines (including Princess) is that you will usually pay about twice the normal rate if you use the cruise line's packages.  As to transfers, cruise line transfers are always handled by third party local companies and the procedures can vary in a big way.  You might get good service or you might stand around the airport for an hour before being walked outside to a vehicle.  My suggestion is to price out the hotel on any web site (including the hotel's) and then do a little homework on the cost of a private transfer (such as a taxi).

You might also find that the cruise line's selected hotel leaves something to be desired in terms of location.

Hank

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Our experience with multiple cruise lines (including Princess) is that you will usually pay about twice the normal rate if you use the cruise line's packages.  As to transfers, cruise line transfers are always handled by third party local companies and the procedures can vary in a big way.  You might get good service or you might stand around the airport for an hour before being walked outside to a vehicle.  My suggestion is to price out the hotel on any web site (including the hotel's) and then do a little homework on the cost of a private transfer (such as a taxi).

You might also find that the cruise line's selected hotel leaves something to be desired in terms of location.

Hank

The BIG reason to use the cruise line transfer is that they will hold the ship if a transfer bus is running late...possibly due to bad traffic or a wreck.  Not so if you book your own transfer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have no personal experience with this but I have read a number of times here on CC that the Princess price is listed per person. Make sure you know exactly what you are looking at in regard to prices.

I just checked on Booking.com.  The cost for the room w the 2 of you is $259.  The problem with cruise line booked hotels is that they always quote the per person cost.  IMHO all cruise line booked hotels are a rip off..

DON

Have used Princess hotels both pre and post and the convenience and quality are well worth a little bump in price…if it’s in Rome or Berlin or Athens you are crazy to take the chance on a private transfer…way too many traffic problems to worry about (unless you like getting to the ship 6 hours early just for peace of mind)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trvlwrld said:

Have used Princess hotels both pre and post and the convenience and quality are well worth a little bump in price…if it’s in Rome or Berlin or Athens you are crazy to take the chance on a private transfer…way too many traffic problems to worry about (unless you like getting to the ship 6 hours early just for peace of mind)

As a stockholder (not good at the moment) we thank you for your generous contribution :).

14 hours ago, Mflem1278 said:

We stayed at a Princess hotel pre-cruise in Rome in November 2022.  Nice place, directly across from the train/subway/bus station.  Yes it included transfers.  Best Western Premier Hotel Royal Santina

Hi, we are booked here in June through Princess. Our first time booking everything as a package and our first Princess cruise. If you don't mind, I have some questions?

We are arriving 2 days before our cruise. Is there someone at the airport to meet you/direct you to your transfer?

What time did you arrive at port on embarkation day?

On disembarkation, do Princess automatically allocate you a time for your transfer or is it something to chase up?

Thank you 🙂 

39 minutes ago, Cruise-mom said:

Hi, we are booked here in June through Princess. Our first time booking everything as a package and our first Princess cruise. If you don't mind, I have some questions?

We are arriving 2 days before our cruise. Is there someone at the airport to meet you/direct you to your transfer?

On disembarkation, do Princess automatically allocate you a time for your transfer or is it something to chase up?

Thank you 🙂 

Princess agent has always met us in the baggage area when arriving a couple days early if we have their package. Generally only ones so they put us in a taxi. Same thing happened when we stay a couple days after. Last time we had an early light and Princess off a taxi voucher for us at the desk when we checked out they had a taxi waiting as well.

I realize it cost more (sometimes a lot more) but when I am lucky enough to travel I like everything all bundled up for me. I get that with Princess, guess we have been lucky so far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Princess agent has always met us in the baggage area when arriving a couple days early if we have their package. Generally only ones so they put us in a taxi. Same thing happened when we stay a couple days after. Last time we had an early light and Princess off a taxi voucher for us at the desk when we checked out they had a taxi waiting as well.

I realize it cost more (sometimes a lot more) but when I am lucky enough to travel I like everything all bundled up for me. I get that with Princess, guess we have been lucky so far.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Cruise-mom said:

Thank you 🙂 

Here are my experiences in London 2x.

At the airport - when I disembark, there isn't someone holding up a sign with my name but they usually do appear within 30-40 minutes. Granted I am probably one of the first off the plane and with my luggage. Most of the time, I have a very nice town car that takes me to my hotel. Last time, we did wait longer as there was someone else on the flight. We never found her. I later found out she took an Uber and wanted Princess to reimburse her.

On the day of leaving the hotel for the ship -we usually leave at 10ish. There is often 2 buses with 2 different departing times. We leave our luggage outside of our room at a certain time (earlier) and it is picked up by hotel staff and transported separately. We usually make it to the pier between 12-1. Once it was later due to fog and once an awful accident so we took a different route.

On disembarkment - there will be a gathering time on the ship for those going to Princess hotels. You will be transported as a bus.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Are you sure? Usually hotel prices are quoted per room as a double occupancy.

I find it is usually cheaper to book on your own, but on one trip it was cheaper to use the Princess Hotel. That was for Copenhagen,  but the cruise was moved to depart from London instead. Princess moved the hotel booki g at no additional charge (we'd already paid in full by mistake). We arrived 3 days ahead of the cruise. We were greeted at the airport by a gentleman holding a sign who took us to the hotel in a large comfy vehicle (don't know what it was). This was early morning and we were able to checkin to the hotel. Breakfast was included (delicious buffet or you could order off the menu - no charge).  As others have said, luggage is picked up in the am by staff for the bus, we had breakfast and boarded the bus.  We were the last people to board and they were looking for us. We were told to arrive between 1030 and 11 for the bus. We didn't want to have to stand around, so left about 10:50.  I would be there earlier, rather than later.  The room was lovely, the hotel was lovely, the breakfast was lovely; an all over first class experience - if the price works out or is comparable I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Are you sure? Usually hotel prices are quoted per room as a double occupancy.

Yes - always per person for the Princess prices. Usually for one night it is not economical.

Edited by cjpj
Update

17 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

I've always considered the Princess hotels to be w-a-y overpriced. Remember, the rates on the website are per person based on double occupancy.

Then the prices are ridiculous because the cheapest hotel on the Princess website for a room in Rome is listed at $299 which would make it almost $600 for one night. I can get the same room on Expedia for $332 CAD tax in and even save more since I'm a member. The hotel website lists a room at 179 Euros. I'm sure there must be something wrong.

18 hours ago, Mflem1278 said:

Looks to me like it was $308.  And that was one night.  Included transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship and then from ship to airport.  I don't know if that is considered expensive in Europe or not.  It was a really nice place and we were happy with what we paid.

Was that $308 for the room or per occupant.

Edited by HMSDingy