Returning to the Jewel

After my my tainted review of my Jan 28 cruise on the Jewel, I am reluctantly boarding this Sat, Feb 25.  I canceled my last cruise and hope it gave them some time to  have some improvement in their food service. I won’t starve, but I do enjoy nice service and a hot well prepared dinner in the MDR.  I do hope management is reviewing CC and taking notes on what the cuts have done to opinions of loyal cruisers. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

I do hope management is reviewing CC and taking notes on what the cuts have done to opinions of loyal cruisers. 

The after-cruise survey might be the only thing RCI looks at as far as feedback from guests once you step foot off the ship. The best way to possibly change something is while still on the ship.

3 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

After my my tainted review of my Jan 28 cruise on the Jewel, I am reluctantly boarding this Sat, Feb 25.  I canceled my last cruise and hope it gave them some time to  have some improvement in their food service. I won’t starve, but I do enjoy nice service and a hot well prepared dinner in the MDR.  I do hope management is reviewing CC and taking notes on what the cuts have done to opinions of loyal cruisers. 

Seriously doubt Royal mgmt has the time or inclination to read CC. This is merely a venting opportunity.

Curious why you would rebook her if it was so bad a few weeks ago

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:45 PM, Eastern flygirl said:

I suspect little change between Jan 28 and Feb 25.   Perhaps the staff will be more familiar with the menu.   Whatever "cuts" were in place on Jan 28 will likely be in place for your upcoming cruise.  

Generally, management does not review and take notes from CC, in fact, many do not know the site exists. And I can say with good confidence that no one from the ship who might see a negative post on CC  can make any sweeping change.

Senior RCCL management is focusing on  new cruisers.  

I hope you enjoy the cruise. 

Almost the same thing for us.  We were on first two weeks of last month and experienced the same lackluster service and food.  Though two weeks previous, we had delightful food and service on sister ship Serenade (though that ship was in rougher shape).  

Had booked both B2Bs a year ago.  Am boarding the same time as you, tomorrow morning, for our second B2B on Jewel.  Will be interesting to see if things have changed.  Though IMHO, every time there is a crew rotation, (and it seems to be happening more and more lately) there is a different experience. 

Naturally the service and food you received is all subject to personal experience at the time.  We are hoping this next B2B will be an improvement, but if not...meh...somehow we will survive.  😉 

On 2/20/2023 at 10:16 PM, John&LaLa said:

Seriously doubt Royal mgmt has the time or inclination to read CC. This is merely a venting opportunity.

Curious why you would rebook her if it was so bad a few weeks ago

I am doing the same, but I booked both set of B2Bs a year ago.  I won't starve, and will find someway to enjoy ourselves.  VCL bar...here we come!!  😉 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2023 at 6:45 PM, Eastern flygirl said:

"Sea" you on board.  Hope you have a better experience.  

And ditto to what others have told you...RCI does not really monitor these boards.  It's your exit survey that makes a difference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastern flygirl said:

I too booked this cruise a long time ago.  I will be looking for a gold pin in the VCL, would love to meet you.  We will be fine and enjoying the sea life, even if the food is not up to standard.  

You got it girl!  Make lemonade out of lemons if we have to.  😉 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:05 AM, island lady said:

I am doing the same, but I booked both set of B2Bs a year ago.  I won't starve, and will find someway to enjoy ourselves.  VCL bar...here we come!!  😉 

Looking forward to reading about your experience on your B2B. My dh & I  are booked on the Jewel for early April. 

We were on the Serenade out of Tampa for 17 nights in January and had a great time. Old menu the first leg and new menu for the second. All good to us. 

Edited by Mary&Jim
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mary&Jim said:

Looking forward to reading about your experience on your B2B. My dh & I  are booked on the Jewel for early April. 

We were on the Serenade out of Tampa for 17 nights in January and had a great time. Old menu the first leg and new menu for the second. All good to us. 

Check in was amazingly smooth and on the ship by before 10:30 (which was our assigned check in time at the terminal).  Easy checked bag drop off, and nice way to get to terminal on the fly over walk bridge from the garage.  

Dinner in MDR was decent, but Chops breakfast service and food was dismally bad again like last time, last month.  Will try again tomorrow morning, if still bad, will try the dining room for breakfast. 

The dining info on the app has not worked since we boarded.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Check in was amazingly smooth and on the ship by before 10:30 (which was our assigned check in time at the terminal).  Easy checked bag drop off, and nice way to get to terminal on the fly over walk bridge from the garage.  

Dinner in MDR was decent, but Chops breakfast service and food was dismally bad again like last time, last month.  Will try again tomorrow morning, if still bad, will try the dining room for breakfast. 

The dining info on the app has not worked since we boarded.  

Pat, you and Bucky cruised right passed me. A belated Bon Voyage. Enjoy. 🍷

On 2/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, GTO-Girl said:

We were on the Jewel last month and will sail on her again the 17th.

No the food wasn’t as good as we have had in the past, but we love the Jewel and cannot wait for our upcoming cruise….

On the same sailing. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Pat, you and Bucky cruised right passed me. A belated Bon Voyage. Enjoy. 🍷

Uh-oh...where were you?  Hiding somewhere you sneaky dude you!  

I did manage to get the app fixed, or rather Jose did...the best IT guy I have ever met, who works the GS desk.  He helped me with laptop problem last month too.  Guy is good!  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

Uh-oh...where were you?  Hiding somewhere you sneaky dude you!  

I did manage to get the app fixed, or rather Jose did...the best IT guy I have ever met, who works the GS desk.  He helped me with laptop problem last month too.  Guy is good!  

...👀

People like Jose definitely makes the tech life easier and appreciated. Sounds like the GS person (can't remember his name) on our 2017 Jewel cruise (second leg as a new D+) that helped me with a CAS internet issue. Even rest the clock for me. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Service for dinner in the MDR has been fantastic. Prime Rib was not great, but the beef tenderloin last night was excellent. I need to get brave and try Windjammer today for lunch.

Hello again!  We did Giovannis last night.  Food was good, but service very slow.  Good service in the MDR on Saturday night.  Chops for breakfast has also been sllllooooowww.  Think we will try the MDR for breakfast tomorrow.  Lunch in the MDR was excellent yesterday.  

Like you, we will brave the WJ for lunch today.  I do love sitting outside on the aft, al fresco.  🙂 

5 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Early coffee in DL has been good.  Newer machine is greatly appreciated 

Might try that tomorrow.  The milk in the CL is weird again, like it was the last time we were on board last month.  I think they need to do a serious cleaning of the lines.