Cruiseline with fewest (or no) restrictions

Toofarfromthesea

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Which cruiselines have the fewest restrictions in the three areas of 1) vaccine requirements, 2) testing requirements, and 3) masking requirements?  Have any of them completely eliminated all 3?

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Most requirements have been eliminated, unless countries they are sailing to require them.

What he said, except that charter cruises can add requirements above and beyond that of the cruise line.  For example, one of my upcoming charters has a vaccination and a pre-cruise testing requirement.  These were announced well in advance, so it's not a big deal to me.  For others whom it would concern... I assume they're not coming.

9 hours ago, Keksie said:

We are finally cruising from Tampa, 7 nights to Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya and Belize on Royal Caribbean.  No restrictions on this cruise.

Congratulations on finding a cruise that meets your needs and wants!  I've been on similar itineraries in the past and have one scheduled later this year.  It's pretty nice.  👍

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Most requirements have been eliminated, unless countries they are sailing to require them.

True. My cruise next month around Japan requires 3x vaxxed or COVID test to enter Japan, then 3x vaxxed AND COVID test to board ship, and masks onboard.  I assume these are all requirements of Japan. 

Am I still excited about going?  Yep.

• Like 4

The dirty secret about vaccines and testing is that many of the rules are imposed by various countries, not the cruise lines.  So, for example, when we go to Japan this Spring, they require folks have 3 Covid shots (2 shots plus a booster) or one needs to jump through some pre-testing hoops (a real pain and expensive).  Most European countries have done away with all their COVID restrictions.

That being said, travelers need to consider what happens if you do get sick (COVID or anything else) when traveling outside your own country.  It is very wise to have medical insurance that will give you international coverage.  

So, what happens if you get COVID (or some other contagious illness) while on a cruise ship?  It does vary by cruise line, but you are likely going to be quarantined (either in your own cabin or one set aside for such a purpose) for some period of time.  With COVID, it is normal to be required to quarantine for 5-10 days (depending on the cruise line and you test results).  Some cruise lines still include some financial adjustment while others no longer give you anything other than medical support (for which you may need to pay).  

Hank

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

While many (most) lines have largely dropped restrictions, the fact is that, since many book and pay for cruises well in advance, there may be a new surge which will bring restrictions back by the time you sail.

True, but let us hope this does not happen.

And one thing for sure to follow if it does happen is the complaints that will follow.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

While many (most) lines have largely dropped restrictions, the fact is that, since many book and pay for cruises well in advance, there may be a new surge which will bring restrictions back by the time you sail.

Or even during the cruise, if there is an outbreak onboard or at a port. If that happens, there could be testing onboard, and masks might be required.

• Like 3