Tipping Question re: USD vs. AUD/NZD

I am excited about my upcoming cruise from Sydney, AU to NZ.  However, and this may seem like a silly question to some, but I enjoy tipping specific crew (e.g. cabin steward) on top of any automated tipping by the cruise line.  On a cruise based out of Australia, can I tip in USD, or is better to exchange that to AUD/NZD currency?  I have only been on cruises where everything (excursions, gratuities, etc.) are based on the USD.

3 hours ago, LavenderRs said:

I am excited about my upcoming cruise from Sydney, AU to NZ.  However, and this may seem like a silly question to some, but I enjoy tipping specific crew (e.g. cabin steward) on top of any automated tipping by the cruise line.  On a cruise based out of Australia, can I tip in USD, or is better to exchange that to AUD/NZD currency?  I have only been on cruises where everything (excursions, gratuities, etc.) are based on the USD.

If sailing in NZ and Australian waters, I would suggest you use NZD or AUD as it is easier for the crew to use. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

On our last Cunard cruise Europe to Singapore we knew  who are cabin attendant was in advance (we'd sailed in the same cabin 6 weeks previously) and we knew she was from Latvia. So we saved euros and tipped her in those. 

You're over thinking it - they will take any major currency which is easy to trade. I suspect the crew do a lot of informal currency trading amongst themselves depending on who is leaving to go where. 

As you are coming from the US I think using US$ makes sense - other passengers coming from Australia will tip in A$ and it work out in the wash for the individuals concerned I'm sure.  

• Like 4

As far as I am aware, the crew are paid in $US around the world, so that is convenient to them.

Sure, if you already have Aussie currency, it will give them some easy spending money. That also depends on the individual crew member, as some send most of their money home, some spend in port.

I

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LavenderRs said:

Do not exchange to Au or Nz your currency has a higher $ value and all money transfers are done in US $ . The crews eyes will light up when they see your green backs . Royal Caribbean onboard is in US $ .

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think the crews prefer USD. The ships all go back there and the currency has a higher value than the others you mention.

Most of the crew go back to Philippines, India, Kenya and other places.  Any major currency will work for them - they are sending money home to their local currency so whether is US$ or A$ makes no odds to them 

5 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I would imagine that a lot of the crew would most likely send money home, then USD would be the easiest for them to send by exchange services.

Not true - if you want to send money overseas to say the Philippines - the money is sent in pesos - any major currency is accepted and they get the rate on the day. 

• Like 1

One day we ran into a waiter in a shop in NZ (after over a month we had got to know him pretty well) he asked for some help to work out what money he needed to use, he had so man6 different currencies it was no wonder he was confused.

Aus$ 

NZ$

Us$

£

Yen

Lira

and about a dozen I didn’t recognise.

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Not true - if you want to send money overseas to say the Philippines - the money is sent in pesos - any major currency is accepted and they get the rate on the day. 

Most are payed in US$ not pesos . Op is American and has US$... to convert to AU / NZ  and then pesos each time has a Fee or a loss  is that what you want . The US $ is considered the strongest currency.

15 hours ago, LavenderRs said:

The crew will take tips in whatever currency you want to give. 

However, if you are on Carnival out of Australia then the currency on board will be $Aud, so perhaps tip in that which makes it easier for the crew to use.

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes they receive the sum in their home currency, but the USD holds its value better and is accepted in almost every country. less fiddle with exchange rates.

• Thanks 1

If the ship is home-based in Australia tip in AUD, otherwise tip in USD if you can unless it's a Med or Great Britain cruise. In those cases tip in Euros or Sterling as appropriate. This makes it easy for crew to use their tips to buy snacks and essentials ashore.

I'm not sure about Asia - as I haven't done enough cruises there but I'd probably choose USD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes they receive the sum in their home currency, but the USD holds its value better and is accepted in almost every country. less fiddle with exchange rates.

US$ is only accepted in the US unless you count a few countries who will take it at rip off rates for tourists - like the touts in  Luxor offering to take US$4 for a t-shirt marked as being 4 Egyptian pounds (about 50c) .