Fear of heights, confined spaces and mild motion sickness. Can I do the helicopter?

Hammergirl

We really, really want to dogsled on snow, but I understand that unless I take a helicopter there is absolutely no way to accomplish this. I have a fear of heights, pretty significant fear of confined spaces (sometimes in an airplane I have to close my eyes and deep breathe), and mild motion sickness. Is there any way I can do this excursion or will I be completely miserable? Also, we will be there mid September so wondering what the likelihood of it being cancelled.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

DH has a fear of heights and motion sickness. He did GREAT in the helicopter. Not a problem at all. And he sat in front. I have an issue with confined spaces...I had no problem in the helicopter, even sitting in the back. The view out of the helicopter is amazing...line of sight is incredible and there's something about that...I didn't feel confined. DS was also with us and we were all amazed at how stable, quiet, and just effortless the whole experience felt. One minute you're on the ground and the next, you're up in the air. It's like an elevator...no effort. Felt like we were floating. We all LOVED it. It was a highlight of our trip to be able to do it. Viewing Alaska from the air is definitely something worth while to do. 

Edited to add...our experience was on a 4-seat helicopter. It was really very little difference in the interior from a riding in a smaller car.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 2

Well - this will probably put you at ease. Come mid-August, most helicopter rides to glaciers for dog sledding have closed down and are cancelled for the rest of the season.

It would be a very rare year that would have this tour operating in September.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

@HammergirlI have a huge fear of heights and there is no way on earth I would be getting in a helicopter, not going to happen no matter how much I wanted to see or do something.

Once you're on and going up, you're stuck and then you've got the flight back, so if you hated it, you have that to think about the whole time you're enjoying your excursion. It's a no for me.

Good luck!

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1

Don't know where you live but is there some way that you can take a local helicopter tour.  An alternative would be to go to your local small airport and explain to them why you would like to take and pay for a short helicopter check ride.  I will bet that you might even get it for free or at least by just paying for the gas.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t do too well with descents (I get vertigo going down long/steep escalators and have blacked out trying cliff jumping). However I managed a 15min helicopter ride over the 12 apostles in Australia. I had one hand hanging onto my seat with a death grip while the other was holding my camera. Working to get good photos distracted me just enough to avoid the full on vertigo reaction. I was sitting in the front seat beside the pilot. 

My hub/I did an Hawaii helicopter ride several years ago.  He has a fear of heights, but since he was strapped in,he LOVED it.  He loves flying.  Me, I do not have a fear of heights, and to my surprise, I didn't like it much.  I didn't like only one pilot and one engine.  But we are different people.  He would get into another helicopter any time.  Me,  I would have to have a good reason.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

The last helicopter tour and dog sled excursion is generally the 1st week in September and some companies end excursions in August.  I originally booked our Alaska cruise for September.  This was to be a surprise for my husbands birthday.  He had always wanted to return and take the sled ride again.  Luckily I found out early after booking that there were no excursions so I changed the booking to May.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...