Food Republic Free at sea

Biffire

We will be using one of our Free at Sea dinners at Food Republic.. This will be our first time eating there. I see there are several different courses, how does it work? Do you get one selection from every course or is there a $ limit?

And I will add to this that if a couple uses each of their dining credits you will get 8 items split between 2 people, and that is a TON of food.  We are fairly big eaters, but could never eat that much.  They don't always offer this to you up front, but you can just use one credit for 4 items and split that between 2 people.  That way you can save your other credit for another meal.  If you're still hungry after the 4 items you can always pay out of pocket for something else or run to the buffet.  

Food Republic is one of favorite restaurants on NCL.  We love it.

Edited by Pens fan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pens fan said:

And I will add to this that if a couple uses each of their dining credits you will get 8 items split between 2 people, and that is a TON of food.  We are fairly big eaters, but could never eat that much.  They don't always offer this to you up front, but you can just use one credit for 4 items and split that between 2 people.  That way you can save your other credit for another meal.  If you're still hungry after the 4 items you can always pay out of pocket for something else or run to the buffet.  

Food Republic is one of favorite restaurants on NCL.  We love it.

Exactly what we did on the Bliss. The Food Republic food was delicious and the servings were large, so my wife and I used just one dining pass and had more than enough for us.  Bear in mind that at home we always take home leftovers from restaurants since two full meals are enough for use to eat a second meal at home. But we can’t do this on a cruise   We saved the other pass for another night. If you use two dining passes at some of Reg ala  cart restaurants, the value may not be that good since the per plate prices are not too high. 

• Like 1

My wife and I dined at Food Republic on the Joy three weeks ago. As mentioned, each person/voucher gets 4 dishes (desert is included in the 4). What we liked was that the ordering is done on a tablet at the table. The tablet has pictures of the dishes which helps in judging portion size. You also order as you go, not all at once. We ordered two dishes at a time, ordering the next set as the previous set arrived. We also had our deserts sent to our room for later.

• Like 1

Food Republic definitely has large portions. We do the same, use on SDP credit on the first sea day, and the other on the second/third sea day. Food Republic on BA+ ships are normally open for lunch for only 90 minutes (12:00-1:30) on sea days. The the galley slows down a lot when the restaurant gets full, so a protip is to be there at opening. It was not open for lunch on the Prima. 

image.png.4b16af439ea33bff3a046cbe6b28cb54.pngimage.png.a41d0b65c6f1f5cddcdcdf08a11a910a.pngimage.png.90dd8e953ab134f6153895209f0e4a28.png

image.png.6d94aaecc7e3f23dd336f3608412a157.pngimage.png.f63bc67dfcfb148134193fcb3696ac9a.png

image.png.b94cbfedecf71d88ab0caf590c30b77b.pngimage.png.4a38274047cb92ddd107b2b10dbbeaa3.pngimage.png.6147b1ec888bdca482cee7fbdcabb455.png

image.png.d7010267652b44e9bb9401bd910380f8.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Food Republic definitely has large portions. We do the same, use on SDP credit on the first sea day, and the other on the second/third sea day. Food Republic on BA+ ships are normally open for lunch for only 90 minutes (12:00-1:30) on sea days. The the galley slows down a lot when the restaurant gets full, so a protip is to be there at opening. It was not open for lunch on the Prima. 

Captioning the pictures would be nice.

Thanks everyone for all of the information, and the pictures. I am looking forward to trying a new venue. Nice to try something different, we have been to Cagney's, Teppenyaki, Moderno, and La Cuchina, many times, This trip will be our first experience with Q and Food Republic.

• 11 months later...

So, let me share my experience with Food Republic's Free at Sea dinner. Picture this: I'm on a cruise, eager to try out this restaurant for the first time. As we sit down, we're presented with a menu featuring an array of mouthwatering dishes divided into different courses. To my delight, there's no price limit, allowing us to indulge without worry.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We were not allowed to use one credit for the two of us on Encore last month.

maybe it's ship-specific as we had no problem doing so on Bliss in the falll.

Yes. It is ship/staff specific. Technically sharing is not allowed. But some (most?) allow it anyway. I have a feeling it is slightly more strict adherence to the rule now than before. But that's just a feeling.

Maybe a dumb question, but can you get it to go?  I would like to use my latitude credit for lunch but the rest of my party would like the buffet.  Has anyone got a meal to go?

1 minute ago, ravenjls said:

Maybe a dumb question, but can you get it to go?  I would like to use my latitude credit for lunch but the rest of my party would like the buffet.  Has anyone got a meal to go?

Another "not technically allowed". They MIGHT let you, but consider that an exception. Don't count on it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We were not allowed to use one credit for the two of us on Encore last month.

maybe it's ship-specific as we had no problem doing so on Bliss in the falll.

That's odd, we have always done this every time we dine there. 8 items for the 2 of us is just way too much food. Last trip was on Prima and hubby & I went once and got 4 items, then we went back again and took my sister & BIL and got 8 items for the 4 of us. No issues at all.

40 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

If you're a Haven guest, yes. You can order through your butler and they'll bring it to your cabin. Or if you catch Covid on a trip and are in quarantined lockdown in your room, yes, they will bring it to you. Not sure about regular healthy non-Haven folks though.

Some kind of roll.... (I don't eat sushi so have no idea what hubby ordered)

image.thumb.png.d8d4cf3a6e7e809b7b6829e472f618e4.png

Korean Fried Chicken

image.thumb.png.b7b1736d67b13a77dacda8a22196605d.png

Peruvian Beef Skewers

image.thumb.png.cba70778b3a0c8e4a52af76c3bd932cd.png

image.thumb.png.9d7ce5ad6aa980b9dd9db03e5a08b6aa.png

Pork something or other... 

image.thumb.png.078e5bc6f8bb3821e66e3613a97561aa.png

Another sushi thing with my sister

image.thumb.png.f5d7b5f1a1aac3a2e7ef49a39cf46133.png

Thai chicken lettuce wraps

image.thumb.png.9c43f3041c1de06214805d30fa372563.png

Fried shishito peppers (they've prepared them differently every single time we order them, first photo is the more recent one from Prima, second photo of the deep friend wiener looking things is from 2022)

image.thumb.png.d24e8a7a90eba6fa021e65e74bcc5ca4.png

image.thumb.png.375a79c2cffbf1f3a1ddc3c44a512345.png

image.thumb.png.f841766ed662a73b5f7455e2d4eeabad.png

Dumplings

image.thumb.png.aeb313d19383b01b86a466ee89662ae0.png

Tijuana street fries

image.thumb.png.e0778db7f55b578a3119bcc2133062f0.png

image.png

• Like 3

On 2/10/2024 at 11:32 AM, winterkatie said:

So, let me share my experience with Food Republic's Free at Sea dinner. Picture this: I'm on a cruise, eager to try out this restaurant for the first time. As we sit down, we're presented with a menu featuring an array of mouthwatering dishes divided into different courses. To my delight, there's no price limit, allowing us to indulge without worry.

From sushi to dumplings, each course offers diverse flavors and textures, making it challenging to choose just one dish. And speaking of trying new things, I recently stumbled upon a fantastic recipe for Korean corn dogs. They're crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside—a delightful treat that's become a favorite in my household.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a current copy of the Food Republic menu? My wife and I ate there for the first time last Sept on the Joy and loved the selections, however the sample menu they have online now looks paired down. I was just curious if that was because it was a sample menu of if they really cut down on the choices. We will be on the Joy again in June and just doing some planning haha. 

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, scgssny said:

Does anyone have a current copy of the Food Republic menu? My wife and I ate there for the first time last Sept on the Joy and loved the selections, however the sample menu they have online now looks paired down. I was just curious if that was because it was a sample menu of if they really cut down on the choices. We will be on the Joy again in June and just doing some planning haha. 

Thank you. 

I don't have a current menu, but on my November sailing on Pr1ma, the menu was indeed paired down from what we had on Joy in March.