Is it shady to phantom book a child to be able to select a balcony stateroom?

binro01

12 hours ago, binro01 said:

So odd dilemma here.

A cruise I'm looking to do last minute only has guaranteed Oceanview balcony staterooms for the Allure of the Seas if I try to book just my wife and I. We can not choose our stateroom.

But for a few dollars more, I can book an Oceanview Balcony Stateroom with a our grandchild's name and be able to choose our balcony stateroom. We are more than happy to pay the small amount more. (We are talking only 50.00 more over the port fees because of the kids sail free promo.) And from what I have heard, if the grandchild is a no show at port, which he will be, we get the port fees refunded to us as a refundable on board credit to our shipboard account.

So I'm basically doing an end around the system so we can choose our cabin for 50.00. We really are afraid of getting a cabin on deck 14 under the pools or a cabin in a very noisy location.

Is this poor form? Or should I just do it. And is what I have heard about getting the port fees refunded to the stateroom account accurate for no shows? Thanks in advance for your responses.

If you can do it, why not?  I would.

Edit:  This is actually brilliant.  I may try this in the future!!  I love stuff like this.  😁

Edited by jean87510

48 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's done all the time.  Solos have to add the phantom 2nd guest to get a guarantee offer, so add away.  Enjoy your cruise.

This is probably the most valid reason I have seen to quell my conscious! Thank You!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Try booking through an online TA

Instead of that ridiculous RC website.

It might be that the TA was inexperienced, but when I called a TA I used before which don't get me wrong, they are great (responsive, and gives a decent value when booking) but they were the first to say that there was nothing but guarantee Oceanview balconies for 2 people. I actually stumbled upon this end around by accident when helping a friend get a ball park estimate for a family of 3 for the same cruise when checking out Royal Caribbean's website. I think the TA would have found the same interesting thing if they put in 3 people on their booking engine.

I'm just taking advantage of the kids sail free promo and this sailing is not in the blackout dates so I kind of got lucky with this strategy. So its not like this kind of thing can be used as a strategy often.

I would just book it.  I ran into a similar issue on Mariner a few years ago.  I couldn't book any balcony for two but when I tried for three, there were lots of balconies, including 1688 which is what I wanted.  I was actually on Serenade at the time, trying to book through Next Cruise.  The manager said she would get the cabin released to us but would book it for three temporarily, so we didn't lose it.  She actually booked herself into the cabin with us and sent an email to corporate to get the cabin released for two.  A few days later, I got a revised booking confirmation with just two of us in the cabin.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, binro01 said:

... A cruise I'm looking to do last minute only has guaranteed Oceanview balcony staterooms for the Allure of the Seas if I try to book just my wife and I. We can not choose our stateroom ...

For what it's worth, we've always been very happy with our guarantee rooms.  We seem to land midship on Deck 6 and now we prefer it!  

14 hours ago, WinksCruises said:

I can meet you at the port and play your grandchild for the week if you'd like! 😝

Pick me!  I'm only 4'11" and am willing to cover my gray hair with a hat all week!  

12 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Book it and invite that grandchild.😀

Best idea here!  I can't wait to take my grandson on a cruise, but I want him out of diapers first. 

We’ve done something similar  We booked our grandson in our room to get a better stateroom.  ( Aft corner balcony on Freedom class.) He slept down the hall with his parents. We paid over $150 more to do it.  Royal still got their money and we got the room we wanted. 

And I’m doing the opposite.  Booked my daughter with her cousin & brother even though she’ll stay in our JR Suite.   I wanted a hump balcony on deck 8 & there weren’t any for 3.  So I booked 2 & will get her a key.

Edited by poocher

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I would just book it.  I ran into a similar issue on Mariner a few years ago.  I couldn't book any balcony for two but when I tried for three, there were lots of balconies, including 1688 which is what I wanted.  I was actually on Serenade at the time, trying to book through Next Cruise.  The manager said she would get the cabin released to us but would book it for three temporarily, so we didn't lose it.  She actually booked herself into the cabin with us and sent an email to corporate to get the cabin released for two.  A few days later, I got a revised booking confirmation with just two of us in the cabin.

I remember your story!

And I somehow got 1688 as a SOLO last year without any argument. 😳

• Like 5

7 hours ago, binro01 said:

It might be that the TA was inexperienced, but when I called a TA I used before which don't get me wrong, they are great (responsive, and gives a decent value when booking) but they were the first to say that there was nothing but guarantee Oceanview balconies for 2 people. I actually stumbled upon this end around by accident when helping a friend get a ball park estimate for a family of 3 for the same cruise when checking out Royal Caribbean's website. I think the TA would have found the same interesting thing if they put in 3 people on their booking engine.

I'm just taking advantage of the kids sail free promo and this sailing is not in the blackout dates so I kind of got lucky with this strategy. So its not like this kind of thing can be used as a strategy often.

I added a kid to one of my sailings, thinking oh, we'll bring a friend for my son, but it added a few hundred dollars in port fees and taxes. How did it only add $50 for you? 

I did this exact same thing to book this balcony on Liberty.  I also don't feel guilty as I had to book an inside room as well for my daughters since this room is for 3 and not 4.  So Rccl actually got more money from me.  Best balcony so far.  Although I was able to book cabin 7199 on the Celebrity Millennium for our cruise next month.  Looks pretty nice too. 

liberty balcony 2.jpg

liberty balcony.jpg

Millennium 

mill 7199.png

Edited by whitshel
  • Like 1