Zandaam New England Questions

FreesiaE

Hi All!

Just two quick questions about the Zandaam and a Boston-Montreal itinerary.  

1) I know the Zandaam is an "older" ship. I have read some reviews about "vibrations" in the lower aft section, but a lot of those reviews are pretty old.  Is this still an issue? 

2)  I'm aware the Atlantic Ocean is of a good size and every day is different, but does the route tend to have what I would call "rough" seas? Compared to Alaska or Caribbean?

Thank you! 

I can’t answer your first question, however the roughest seas I’ve been on were Alaska from Seattle, the very first day.  And several times in the Caribbean. I do get seasick and take precautions so was really surprised about Alaska but it was only once of our three cruises there. Never have had a problem in the three Canada/New England cruises we’ve taken. 

2 hours ago, FreesiaE said:

2)  I'm aware the Atlantic Ocean is of a good size and every day is different, but does the route tend to have what I would call "rough" seas? Compared to Alaska or 

I might remind you of a movie called  "Perfect Storm".

Any place can be rough at any time.

• Like 3

We were on in July/August and felt vibration different days in MDR. 

As stated storm's and seas can pop up anywhere and it will depend on what time of year and weather condition/fronts. Some passengers commented on "rough" seas going up Canadian coast but we didn't notice much having been through Tasman Sea and Bass Strait down under. Just a slight rocking to sleep. 

You should be fine but may have some foggy days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FreesiaE said:

I mean, I guess a good basic goal of any vacation is to not perish? If it’s that temperamental in that area we can pass.

The rule of "it can be rough any time", also applies to any location. The sea can move, and it can move ships. Just a fact of life. Not sure sure why people expect cruise ships to only cruise smooth seas.

My two roughest storms were at Halifax. The occasional hurricane does wander up the coast.  I am currently on the Volendam, Zaandam’s sister ship,  and was on the first floor aft deck yesterday and yes there is a lot of engine vibration, deck 2 is marginally better. 

The trouble with asking if the conditions are 'rough' is that it's totally subjective.  We were recently on a cruise back from Hawaii and we had a couple of days where some folks were talking about the 'rough' seas, we didn't think it was rough at all compared to other cruises we've been on.  So you would have two people on the exact same cruise one describing it rough and the other saying it wasn't.

Cruise lines do a very good job of avoiding the rough stuff if they can.  They can go slightly to the south, north, east or west and make a world of difference.  If anyone is concerned about the seas bring dramamine (though it will be on sale on the ship) and have confidence that the captain will do all they can to make you comfortable.

We got an unexpected very strong wind blast on the New England cruise on one of the smaller HAL ships,  somewhere around Prince Edwards Island  - sent dishes in the dining room clattering all over the floor. it surprised everyone, though it was thought to be a residual of a prior strong storm a few days earlier further  out in the Atlantic.  

So, you never know. Each cruise has its moments - wind and waves are part of the at-sea experience. No guarantees anywhere.

• Like 1

We were in the farthest aft cabin facing the wake, Deck 7, on Zaandam in 2009. We felt vibrations in our room as did people in the last few aft cabins on port and starboard of deck 7. Maybe that issue has been addressed by now. I did not select an aft cabin for my upcoming Zaandam cruise.

~Maya

We have done six repositioning cruise from Canada to Florida and one from Fla to Montreal and yes we have experienced some rough seas on a few of them. Keep in mind that Fall cruises can also experience hurricanes. One year,  the old Maasdam was affected by an early rare spring storm on it’s repositioning from Florida to Canada.

One never knows or can predict rough weather and seas.

19 hours ago, REOVA said:

As stated storm's and seas can pop up anywhere and it will depend on what time of year and weather condition/fronts. Some passengers commented on "rough" seas going up Canadian coast but we didn't notice much having been through Tasman Sea and Bass Strait down under. Just a slight rocking to sleep. 

Good to know! I'll never cruise my home country or NZ because of those bits of water! I was hoping that our trip up the Maritimes to Greenland and Iceland would be calmer 

Edited by lissie

23 minutes ago, lissie said:

I was hoping that our trip up the Maritimes to Greenland and Iceland would be calmer 

The same 2022 cruise was fairly calm the entire trip. 

The hurricanes tend to come through there in September and early October, and less likely in late July and early August. 
No guarantees on that, but that is the norm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

The same 2022 cruise was fairly calm the entire trip. 

The hurricanes tend to come through there in September and early October, and less likely in late July and early August. 
No guarantees on that, but that is the norm. 

Thanks I will have a the drugs/patchs with me  -I'm hoping we get an inside cabin low inthe ship 

3 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I’m on this cruise April 29 from Montréal to Boston and we haven’t the faintest idea what to do for excursions. Our roll call only has one other person and me on it lol. 

If op doesn’t mind, I’m open to suggestions. Thanks. 

Check here.....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

I’m on this cruise April 29 from Montréal to Boston and we haven’t the faintest idea what to do for excursions. Our roll call only has one other person and me on it lol. 

If op doesn’t mind, I’m open to suggestions. Thanks. 

Well...we don't know you...do what interests you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well...we don't know you...do what interests you.

Thanks. I’m over on the board @FlaMariner recommended. I have no idea what to do. Someone mentioned puffins so I’m looking into that. Im also unsure of what to do first week of May since I assume it will still be a bit chilly and most people do this itinerary in Autumn.

I’ll figure it out. I realize we are a bit late with this— we have been slammed busy. Cruise leaves in like 7 weeks. 

I’ve done this cruise twice, so I can mention the ones I’ve done that I enjoyed. 

In Quebec, I did the tea at the Chateau Frontenac and the walkabout with wine tasting. However, it’s a great walkable city that you can explore easily on your own. The funicular up to the Chateau is pretty cool. 

In Sydney, it’s a nice little town with some shopping nearby where you can find hand-crafted goods. They have a huge red violin where the ship docks. 

In Prince Edward Island, I did the lighthouse and winery tour twice. You end up at the Rossignol winery, which is a nice little place with pretty good wine. The blueberry wine is quite good, surprisingly. They make liqueurs with local fruits and those are sooooo good! The Anne of Green Gables house is there, but I have not gone on that tour. Others have enjoyed it though. 

Halifax has a decent Hop On/Hop Off tour that also includes the citadel and maritime museum. I also did a long lighthouse tour that went all the way to Mahone Bay, which had some neat Curse of Oak Island swag in the shops. If you’re a fan of the show, the Mug and Anchor pub that the cast goes to is there. Halifax also has some pretty good shopping near the port. 

Not sure if Bar Harbor is going to allow ships in the future, but it’s a quaint little town that has lots of shops and restaurants. 

That itinerary is one of my favorite cruises, which is why I’ve done it twice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Thanks. I’m over on the board @FlaMariner recommended. I have no idea what to do. Someone mentioned puffins so I’m looking into that. Im also unsure of what to do first week of May since I assume it will still be a bit chilly and most people do this itinerary in Autumn.

I’ll figure it out. I realize we are a bit late with this— we have been slammed busy. Cruise leaves in like 7 weeks. 

What do you like to do when you travel? History? Museums? nature? Gardens? Special local foods?

Start by reading the ship's excursions. that will give you an idea of typical tours, and there may be some reviews you can read. Try tripadvisor. Their site isn't as easy to use since they've become a seller of tours (it's hard to find tours and attractions that they aren't selling), but you can find out about attractions in each of the ports. Another research tool I use is googlemaps. I use them to see what's in the port city itself. I like to search for bakeries, ice cream, or bars with local beer in addition to the usual tourist things.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I’ve done this cruise twice, so I can mention the ones I’ve done that I enjoyed. 

In Quebec, I did the tea at the Chateau Frontenac and the walkabout with wine tasting. However, it’s a great walkable city that you can explore easily on your own. The funicular up to the Chateau is pretty cool. 

In Sydney, it’s a nice little town with some shopping nearby where you can find hand-crafted goods. They have a huge red violin where the ship docks. 

In Prince Edward Island, I did the lighthouse and winery tour twice. You end up at the Rossignol winery, which is a nice little place with pretty good wine. The blueberry wine is quite good, surprisingly. They make liqueurs with local fruits and those are sooooo good! The Anne of Green Gables house is there, but I have not gone on that tour. Others have enjoyed it though. 

Halifax has a decent Hop On/Hop Off tour that also includes the citadel and maritime museum. I also did a long lighthouse tour that went all the way to Mahone Bay, which had some neat Curse of Oak Island swag in the shops. If you’re a fan of the show, the Mug and Anchor pub that the cast goes to is there. Halifax also has some pretty good shopping near the port. 

Not sure if Bar Harbor is going to allow ships in the future, but it’s a quaint little town that has lots of shops and restaurants. 

That itinerary is one of my favorite cruises, which is why I’ve done it twice!

Thank you. Chateau Frontenac Did catch my eye as a cool looking hotel, so the tea excursion is what I’m thinking right now. 

im going to get a a map up and look at your other suggestions tomorrow thank you. I go to bed early. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What do you like to do when you travel? History? Museums? nature? Gardens? Special local foods?

Start by reading the ship's excursions. that will give you an idea of typical tours, and there may be some reviews you can read. Try tripadvisor. Their site isn't as easy to use since they've become a seller of tours (it's hard to find tours and attractions that they aren't selling), but you can find out about attractions in each of the ports. Another research tool I use is googlemaps. I use them to see what's in the port city itself. I like to search for bakeries, ice cream, or bars with local beer in addition to the usual tourist things.

Yes.all of that. We like national parks. Beaches. Fishing , city exploring, museums, etc

I just have only been to this area three times and not where I’m going… cape cod, NH to visit my friend and a girls weekend in Portland Maine. Lol 

I like your idea of looking a google maps, I think that will help me get started to get oriented to the geography. Thanks 

Edited by spleenstomper