Price of cruise Increased 1 month before final payment due

shiner6

Does anyone have experience with Carnival raising the price of booked cruise 1 month before final payment is due? I booked a Baltic cruise almost 2 years ago and paid a non-refundable deposit. Now I notice that the price they are charging has increased by $80.00. I know it is not much in the scheme of things, however, it makes me very leery of their accounting practices as I never received notice of this increase.  They did decrease port charges when they had to cancel St. Petersburg. This was extremely disappointing but understandable.  I really wanted to cancel the cruise at that time,but was convinced by my travel agent that it would be a great itinerary even without St Petersburg and my cancellation fee would cost me about $800, so I stayed.  I keep careful watch on my chrges, but this one has me baffled.

If taxes and port fees go up from the time you book, you have to pay the increased amount.

Also, if actual taxes and port fees are less than what you are charged, you do get a refund of the difference.

I think it's very probable taxes and port fees have gone up in the last 2 years.

• Like 2

As others said, likely it was taxes or port fees. But I don’t think the rate can change once you’re booked and locked into it. So if you’re seeing an increase in price it’s likely taxes or port fees. 

I agree with the other posters as to the source of the increase.  Have you asked your travel agent about it?  

As a side note, it really is too bad you will not see St. Petes, (understandable with everything going on) it is by far one of the most beautiful and fascinating cities in the world.  We have been there twice (once during white nights) over the years and cannot say enough about it.  Hopefully you will have another chance at some point in the future to visit.  

• Like 1

Hmm...the rate should be the same (unless as others have said taxes and port fees went up), BUT I had a similar situation on a booking booked through a TA (and also on a European cruise) where I also *thought* the rate was raised by a minor amount and my online booking on Carnival just shows $0 so I can't go back and see how much I originally was quoted to know for sure.  But I had in my mind it was one amount and then ultimately was charged a more so I sort of wonder if this is something going on with either TAs or Carnival.     . 

The  passenger rate increase is for the Cruise itself, not the port fees or taxes.  Just the rate was raised by $80.00 and to be frank, I just didn't pay it much attention until I tried to balance my accounts today and found it.

Edited by shiner6
grammar

2 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

The  passenger rate increase is for the Cruise itself, not the port fees or taxes.  Just the rate was raised by $80.00 and to be frank, I just didn't pay it much attention until I tried to balance my accounts today and found it.

Interesting...now you have me want to go back and check on mine. I wonder if your TA changed your booking to a higher rate to get more OBC or drinks on us or something like that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

If taxes and port fees go up from the time you book, you have to pay the increased amount.

Also, if actual taxes and port fees are less than what you are charged, you do get a refund of the difference.

I think it's very probable taxes and port fees have gone up in the last 2 years.

I have been on several Carnival cruises where the port taxes and fees went up since booking, but I have never had to pay the increased amount.

• Like 5

I don't use a TA but I do use a Carnival PVP.  When I book I get a written confirmation via email.  When you book with a TA do you receive a written confirmation?  If so, look at the confirmation and compare it to the current price and see what changed.  Then call the TA and have them explain the difference. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

I have been on several Carnival cruises where the port taxes and fees went up since booking, but I have never had to pay the increased amount.

I'm pretty sure in the t&c it says they can charge you for any increase in taxes and fees. But, I don't know of an instance of that actually happening.  I just assumed that they do it as it's written they can, and would have to eat it if they didn't pass the charge along. 

8 hours ago, mistycruiser said:

I don't use a TA but I do use a Carnival PVP.  When I book I get a written confirmation via email.  When you book with a TA do you receive a written confirmation?  If so, look at the confirmation and compare it to the current price and see what changed.  Then call the TA and have them explain the difference. 

Our ta sends a confirmation email with all details. I can't imagine any business in any field not sending a detailed invoice for transactions that are thousands of dollars. 

12 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

If you have ever modified a booking, the booking gets repriced, including changes in port taxes, etc.

Per the ticket contract, the same one everybody agrees to whether they read it or not, Carnival could pass any increased costs along, even if no other change was made.

47 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you have ever modified a booking, the booking gets repriced, including changes in port taxes, etc.

Per the ticket contract, the same one everybody agrees to whether they read it or not, Carnival could pass any increased costs along, even if no other change was made.

What do you mean by "modified a booking"? Do you mean name changes and room changes/category changes?

I have no doubt that Carnival can raise taxes, fees, etc. but OP is saying this is to the original cruise rate changed and not the port fees, taxes, etc. Unless the TA booked under a new/different rate or changed her room, I don't see how Carnival could change the base fare. 

Edited by Eli_6

Sorry, @shiner

I know there is always the fine print, but generally, paying the deposit locks in the fare price.  If using a TA, I have heard of agents not booking immediately with the cruise line, and by the time they do the price has changed.  If that is the case, TA should have notified their client.  But maybe thought $80 was not significant enough to mention.

Unless the price increase can actually be pinpointed to having occurred after the deposit was received by Carnival, I would suspect the above scenario.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Sorry, @shiner

I know there is always the fine print, but generally, paying the deposit locks in the fare price.  If using a TA, I have heard of agents not booking immediately with the cruise line, and by the time they do the price has changed.  If that is the case, TA should have notified their client.  But maybe thought $80 was not significant enough to mention.

Unless the price increase can actually be pinpointed to having occurred after the deposit was received by Carnival, I would suspect the above scenario.  

There are deposits, and there are reduced deposits.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, shiner6 said:

Does anyone have experience with Carnival raising the price of booked cruise 1 month before final payment is due?

So, to clarify what everyone is asking about:

Did you (or your TA) make any changes to the cruise booking after that initial deposit?

If not:

You already indicated it was  the base cruise rate that has changed.  Can you contact your TA and ask "wha' happened?"  (And make sure to use the Fred Willard character voice from A Mighty Wind.)

I, too, would be annoyed to see a price change when I thought I had locked it in.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

So, to clarify what everyone is asking about:

Did you (or your TA) make any changes to the cruise booking after that initial deposit?

If not:

You already indicated it was  the base cruise rate that has changed.  Can you contact your TA and ask "wha' happened?"  (And make sure to use the Fred Willard character voice from A Mighty Wind.)

I, too, would be annoyed to see a price change when I thought I had locked it in.

Yes, I contacted my travel agent last week. I am still waiting for a reply.

On my upcoming Norway cruise I noticed the taxes and port charges were $8 less pp than when I booked.  I asked my TA about it and she said you have to pay the amount it stated at booking.  A week later when I got my invoice for final payment the taxes and port charges were at the current rate, so $16 less total.

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

On my upcoming Norway cruise I noticed the taxes and port charges were $8 less pp than when I booked.  I asked my TA about it and she said you have to pay the amount it stated at booking.  A week later when I got my invoice for final payment the taxes and port charges were at the current rate, so $16 less total.

Don't worry about price drop for port taxes. If there is any , you are automatically given the difference as onboard credit when onboard the ship 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Don't worry about price drop for port taxes. If there is any , you are automatically given the difference as onboard credit when onboard the ship 

I have gotten a few bucks back to sail and sign occasionally but never an increase. My payment amounts have never changed one way or the other pre cruise.