Princess ships for 2024-2025

1 minute ago, aussiecruiser66 said:

We are looking at the 113 day SYD- SYD option.Just a couple of questions.

1. Does the cruise include gratuities because it starts and finishes in Sydney?

2. Is on board currency in AU$?

3. Does the ANZ credit card complimentary travel insurance cover you for the whole cruise, especially for the US portion, which is only 3 days in port?

Looking at the itinerary it shows Easter Island as a black dot which usually indicates a port/ tender stop, but the actual itinerary says scenic cruising for that particular day. If EI is not offered as a port stop then that could be a deal breaker for us as to whether we book or not,

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jenny

We have passed by Easter Island three times and each time it was too windy to go ashore. It is a tender port and quite rocky so the weather plays a huge part in whether you get to go ashore.  If that is going to be the deal breaker then forget it as more ships miss it than those who manage to anchor there. It is a gamble and each time we didn't know whether we would get ashore until we had arrived at the island and then it is up to the Captain and  the weather bureau on Easter Island.

2 hours ago, aussiecruiser66 said:

We are looking at the 113 day SYD- SYD option.Just a couple of questions.

1. Does the cruise include gratuities because it starts and finishes in Sydney?

2. Is on board currency in AU$?

3. Does the ANZ credit card complimentary travel insurance cover you for the whole cruise, especially for the US portion, which is only 3 days in port?

Looking at the itinerary it shows Easter Island as a black dot which usually indicates a port/ tender stop, but the actual itinerary says scenic cruising for that particular day. If EI is not offered as a port stop then that could be a deal breaker for us as to whether we book or not,

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jenny

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Sorry, I don't know

On 3/25/2023 at 3:14 PM, geoff2802 said:

We might have to wait a week or two.  I’ll ask my US TA if they have pricing yet.  
Cheers.  

The US agents are bound to have pricing. It is not like we are ever front of queue with new releases.

To buy Princess from a USA agent living in Oz isn’t opened to everyone.

I am under the impression you had to be an existing Princess customer before the rules got changed about 10 years ago.

Is this still the case?

Or have misinterpreted the rules?

15 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I am under the impression you had to be an existing Princess customer before the rules got changed about 10 years ago.

Is this still the case?

I believe that is the case. In fact I think you had to be a customer of a U.S. Agent for longer than 10 years. I can buy from my U.S. agent as I have the history of using her long before the rules were changed but as our dollar is so low, I haven't bothered booking with her for a few years as the amount you save is lost when it is converted back to our money. Also, when booking just Australian cruises, it is cheaper to buy here than what she could offer me.

• Like 1

We have been using the same US TA for at least several years now and they regularly book us Royal Caribbean and Princess.  We have a second residence in the US which may matter.  We hold funds in USD for other reasons, so we're never exchanging to USD when the South Pacific Peso is low.  

The TA used to charge a USD 100 p.p. booking fee for Princess cruises which made it less appealing, however this was recently removed.  Perhaps Princess previously wouldn't pay commission if the traveller's primary residency was outside the US - I don't know.  

Sometimes I also see lower prices from Princess Australia and we recently booked there too, on Coral.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, springaussie said:

Is this still the case?

We first cruised on Princess about 20 years ago, so that may be relevant too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, springaussie said:

Is this still the case?

Still the case.

I wonder if the tactic is to buy with $US, then head to the desk to have gratuities removed, or do the US passengers aboard now have their grats included in the fare on $AU itineraries??

Yes, I believe those rules still apply. You needed to be a Princess customer with that agency prior to the rules being changed around 10 years ago. There are some that will use a US mailbox, but not something I would personally risk.

9 hours ago, Womble99 said:

When will these be going live for sale?

4th April - 9am AEDT for Elite, 5th April for everyone else.

Follow this for a live link at noon today (AEDT), and then it will become a Youtube video after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

AEDT ?

Doesn't DT finish on the 2nd ?

Good point. I You are correct, but the AEDT came from Princess.

Whichever way, when Sydney time clicks over to 9am next Tuesday, the phones will be ringing.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Follow this for a live link at noon today (AEDT), and then it will become a Youtube video after that

A few random thoughts from someone whose preference is relatively short round trips from Melbourne

• As I write this (1710) the YT video is showing just 156 views - I would have expected a much larger number
  • Good to see lots of choice from Melbourne - at this rate Princess may become my preferred line over Cunard
  • A bit mystified as to the emphasis given to Crown's +230% interior and obstructed staterooms - are they targetting cost conscious cruisers?
  • Crown is being sold as something so much better than what we've had before yet my Berlitz shows passenger space ratios of Crown: 37.2, Royal: 39.9, Diamond 42.8 and, for comparison, Grand: 41.8, Celebrity Eclipse: 42.7, Queen Elizabeth: 43.2

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

A few random thoughts from someone whose preference is relatively short round trips from Melbourne

• As I write this (1710) the YT video is showing just 156 views - I would have expected a much larger number
  • Good to see lots of choice from Melbourne - at this rate Princess may become my preferred line over Cunard
  • A bit mystified as to the emphasis given to Crown's +230% interior and obstructed staterooms - are they targetting cost conscious cruisers?
  • Crown is being sold as something so much better than what we've had before yet my Berlitz shows passenger space ratios of Crown: 37.2, Royal: 39.9, Diamond 42.8 and, for comparison, Grand: 41.8, Celebrity Eclipse: 42.7, Queen Elizabeth: 43.2

Your thoughts?

Crown is one of the four Grand Class ships that they built with an extra deck of cabins but with no extra public space. The others are Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean. We went on Ruby in 2019. Never again! 

I would be interested to hear exactly what Princess thinks makes Crown better than all the other ships that have cruised this region. Bigger isn't always better IMHO!

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Crown is one of the four Grand Class ships that they built with an extra deck of cabins but with no extra public space. The others are Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean. We went on Ruby in 2019. Never again! 

I would be interested to hear exactly what Princess thinks makes Crown better than all the other ships that have cruised this region. Bigger isn't always better IMHO!

Princess also enlarged the ship from 2670 guests to over 3080 guests. I believe they ruined the ship when they did this.

1 hour ago, MelbTone said:

Your thoughts?

Thanks for sharing the passenger space ratios.  We have cruised on Sapphire which I think has about the same ratio as Diamond.  Nice ship and not crowded.  I will happily cruise on Diamond.  Crown would have to be lower cost to tempt me.   

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree bigger isn't always better, with Majestic in mind.   I was on Emerald in 2019 and didn't realise that Emerald had an extra deck (compared to say the old Golden Princess) even though I was on Emerald for a month.   Possibly because the extra deck just had cabins, yet I didn't notice the ship was more crowded.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess rates it a better ship, because if they can fill it, they make more money from it. To them the upgrade in size means an upgrade in everything. I agree that isn't the case vs Coral that is a very comfortable ship to cruise on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Your thoughts?

The Crown being pitched as having extra cabins and extra cats of suites seemed to be targeted that more people will get the opportunity to cruise, particularly on the World & around Oz cruises that traditionally sell very quickly. They were at pains to point out that the ship is not only the largest to do a world cruise from Oz, but anywhere. I think they have forgotten about ships like QM2 when they make those statements.

For holiday cruises full of families, I expect the ship will be packed. Hopefully not the case so much, with largely twin occupancy on the longer cruises. The passenger space ratio is a good guide but isn't everything. As an example, an open pool deck doesn't add to GRT, but put a solarium roof over it and it does. The tiered aft decks on Crown and her sisters are great spaces that are heaps smaller on the newer ships like Royal, yet don't contribute to the passenger/space ratio which is merely GRT divided by total lower berth passengers. Comparing apples with apples though, Diamond will have more space than Crown.

We are currently pricing a balcony for the 2nd half of the world cruise but are thinking about an oceanview as a cheaper price option.

There are 4 OV cabins on Riviera deck adjacent to the aft pool (R747, 748, 749, 750). Has anyone sailed in these or similar cabins on their sister ships? I realise they are porthole cabins, but you only need to walk out of the cabin to have comfortable aft views and deck chairs. The location is convenient in some ways, and we aren't worried about movement, but possible noise.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

We are currently pricing a balcony for the 2nd half of the world cruise but are thinking about an oceanview as a cheaper price option.

There are 4 OV cabins on Riviera deck adjacent to the aft pool (R747, 748, 749, 750). Has anyone sailed in these or similar cabins on their sister ships? I realise they are porthole cabins, but you only need to walk out of the cabin to have comfortable aft views and deck chairs. The location is convenient in some ways, and we aren't worried about movement, but possible noise.

Geoff we have had 741 and 747 Insides on Diamond and Golden and have had no noise issues. You may hear that aft door close shut if others don't close it gently.

It's our favourite area on those ships to get outside, a bar and the buffet for early morning cuppa.

I would take the 749 or 750 which are further away from the foot traffic using that door.

These cabins have two small portholes, head of bed is against them and they are slightly smaller than an inside at 158sqf (inside 160sqf), otherwise same layout as standard insides on those ships.

I have had a look at these Oceanview cabins on Emerald.

52 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Geoff we have had 741 and 747 Insides on Diamond and Golden and have had no noise issues. You may hear that aft door close shut if others don't close it gently.

It's our favourite area on those ships to get outside, a bar and the buffet for early morning cuppa.

I would take the 749 or 750 which are further away from the foot traffic using that door.

These cabins have two small portholes, head of bed is against them and they are slightly smaller than an inside at 158sqf (inside 160sqf), otherwise same layout as standard insides on those ships.

I have had a look at these Oceanview cabins on Emerald.

I think these are far enough away from the aft corridor doors for them not to matter like they would for the same number cabins on Diamond.

749 & 750 are that little bit further away from the pool, but the crew/emergency exit stairs are adjacent t the outside of them. Steel mesh stairs have a lovely hollow twang resonance and could be a pain if they are being regularly used by crew.

On some cruises, these aft decks are very quiet, but hard to pick how they will be on a given cruise. We will likely go with the balcony, but prepared to give one of these a whirl for a few K's saved.

I don't think much of the Crown and its my least favourite Princess ship I've been on. I had an interior cabin on Deck 11 and the walls were paper thin. No need to turn on my TV, I could hear next door perfectly even though they didn't have it loud, among other things! They didn't party so my sleep was not disturbed and luckily it was on a UK cruise where I spent most of the day off the ship. But RTW, forget it.

I think they should send the Sapphire on a world cruise. I did London to Dubai, the ship was full and plenty of room for everyone.

Edited by Yaya_in_Oz