Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoying?)

Jeter02

Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoy?)  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find chair hoggers to be annoying or funny?

• Hilarious 😂
    • Annoying 😡

Do you find chair hoggers to be funny or annoying?

Currently on the Regal and I'm not one to sit up on the pool deck in the sun, but early this morning figured I would read on one of the couches upstairs. Two chairs in front of me had towels and a tote bag occupying the chairs. They were left unattended for over an hour before I decided to get up and leave. 

Two ladies finally came to their seats said hello put more bags down and then one went for a walk on the track. Which I saw her doing as I was walking up there as well, and then I went downstairs to deck 5 to grab a nibble and there she was participating in line dancing. I shuffled to another area as I'm just walking around the ship saw her as well in the gym, then roaming around on deck seven.

I find chair hoggers to be annoying, but I also find it rather hilarious that they think they are royalty and can just leave their things and come back to it whenever the little heart desires. 😂🤦‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find the actual act of "performing the chair hog procedure" itself to be (obviously) annoying...but the watching of other people trying to "step in and take care of it" is the entertaining portion...thus I vote for BOTH "annoying" AND "hilarious"! 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just came off Carribbean Cruise and spoke with Head of Personnel for the Pool area in regards to securing a chair with towel on it.  They will only monitor if you bring it to their attention.  If a chair has a towel on it and is vacated for more than 1/2 hour the personnel on duty in the towel area will remove it for you .

We came through the pool area at approx 8:30 am and and took a pic of chairs with towels on.

Came back after breakfast and dressed for the pool at approx 10:00 am and went and got the Pool Personnel at the towel area .  Showed him the pic and time and he removed the towels.  No confrontation at all with other people.  

• Like 6

What we find funny is how upset others on CC get if others do not conform to what their expectations are.  We have never really found "chair hogs" to be a problem and usually book the Sanctuary to avoid all the drama.

We do get annoyed when we see non-handicapped people in the theater setting in chairs definitely for handicap people or people in wheel chairs/scooters and their attendants. 

Edited by Princessfan20

12 minutes ago, awinte2 said:

Just came off Caribbean Cruise and spoke with Head of Personnel for the Pool area in regards to securing a chair with towel on it.  They will only monitor if you bring it to their attention.  If a chair has a towel on it and is vacated for more than 1/2 hour the personnel on duty in the towel area will remove it for you .

We came through the pool area at approx 8:30 am and and took a pic of chairs with towels on.

Came back after breakfast and dressed for the pool at approx 10:00 am and went and got the Pool Personnel at the towel area .  Showed him the pic and time and he removed the towels.  No confrontation at all with other people.  

That is certainly one way to do it. 

I think to make it more hilarious for @Jeter02 and others is to simply remove the towels and sit down when the "owners" are nowhere in sight.  If they ever do come back and complain, just tell them you found the chair empty.  (It was empty of a human after all).  They will have no idea who removed their towel or book, etc.  If you really wanted to get them, you could turn anything else into lost & found.  Now that would be really hilarious.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

What we find funny is how upset others on CC get if others do not conform to what their expectations are.  We have never really found "chair hogs" to be a problem and usually book the Sanctuary to avoid all the drama.

We do get annoyed when we see non-handicapped people in the theater setting in chairs definitely for handicap people or people in wheel chairs/scooters and their attendants. 

I commend you for being an advocate for the handicap. Unfortunately, some “handicaps” are not visible from the outside.  There is no where in Princess Theater that you can seat (except in nose bleed section) that is accessible without steps.  

i did find one ship that did not have stairs into 6th deck. Don’t remember if that was the Ruby. 

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That is certainly one way to do it. 

I think to make it more hilarious for @Jeter02 and others is to simply remove the towels and sit down when the "owners" are nowhere in sight.  If they ever do come back and complain, just tell them you found the chair empty.  (It was empty of a human after all).  They will have no idea who removed their towel or book, etc.  If you really wanted to get them, you could turn anything else into lost & found.  Now that would be really hilarious.

Not sure Jeter02 that it is good idea to remove " personal belongings".  That is why you should get the cruise rep to remove and they take them to the towel area. You always run the risk of damaging their property or them saying something was there and now it is not because you touched it.  That just opens up another can of worms and remember we are on vacation and who needs it.

As for the OP who mentioned the sanctuary it wonderful that you are fortunate to be able to book this.

Not everyone can budget the extra expense.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, awinte2 said:

Not sure Jeter02 that it is good idea to remove " personal belongings".  That is why you should get the cruise rep to remove and they take them to the towel area. You always run the risk of damaging their property or them saying something was there and now it is not because you touched it.  That just opens up another can of worms and remember we are on vacation and who needs it.

As for the OP who mentioned the sanctuary it wonderful that you are fortunate to be able to book this.

Please be advised, Steeler 36 just used my name as an example. I don't ever touch anyone's belongings. I don't really even sit upstairs or  sunbathe. This is just an observation I've made when I do walk around. I'm a very polite, well-mannered person thank you very much. As it come across my mind on what I would really like to do absolutely but I would never do it though.

I'm all about common courtesy 😉

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

A BA pilot friend said he was told to hold at the gate in Frankfurt while a Lufthansa with same departure time pushed back. He asked Lufthansa via radio if this was local preference. Lufthansa said, 'No, we were out here early and left our towel on the runway.'

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 18

from a previous - maybe 'years ago' post

an elderly lady sat down on a pool lounger that already had a towel on it.  Later a guy came by and said 'i put that towel on that chair' ... then the lady stated, and you did such a fine job young man, now can you get me a gin and tonic ... 

if I was that guy, i would have immediately gone to the nearest bar 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

So for those of you who would remove a person’s items from a chair what do you do with the items? Put them on another chair, on the ground, or something else?

For the person who said after 30 minutes it’s fair game, I respectfully disagree. When I’m in the pool I’m in for 60 to 90 minutes. I’d like to hope that my stuff will still be there after I get out of the pool. I don’t go in the main pools though. I will be in the Retreat pool or aft pool and I do keep an eye on my things while in the pool. I’ve never had a problem with someone touching my belongings but then again I don’t walk away from the pool area and leave my stuff where I can’t see it.

• Like 1

Above all else of course it's annoying.  Also agreed with the person who called out that a half hour really isn't enough....pool time can easily stretch beyond 30 mins.  Having said that, in practice, it's 30 mins from the time anyone notices/reports that the chair seems abandoned, so it seems to work OK.

On the other hand, people who get triggered by it and go full Karen in their pursuit of justice...whether being a thorn in the side of the crew or directly confronting the original offender are somewhat hilarious.

Having said that, I have to be thankful for these Karens that are willing to care enough about it to let it ruin their good time....if they weren't so vocal and annoying, the problem of chair hogging would absolutely be much worse than it is.  These Karens do serve a valuable role as a deterrent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awinte2 said:

Never mind the extra expense.....it is virtually impossible to book the sanctuary on a warm weather cruise unless you were on the previous sailing (B2B), or among one of the first onboard. Therefore we are stuck with trying to find open loungers. Now I have never moved someone elses belongings but I have certainly been annoyed by it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

So for those of you who would remove a person’s items from a chair what do you do with the items? Put them on another chair, on the ground, or something else?

For the person who said after 30 minutes it’s fair game, I respectfully disagree. When I’m in the pool I’m in for 60 to 90 minutes. I’d like to hope that my stuff will still be there after I get out of the pool. I don’t go in the main pools though. I will be in the Retreat pool or aft pool and I do keep an eye on my things while in the pool. I’ve never had a problem with someone touching my belongings but then again I don’t walk away from the pool area and leave my stuff where I can’t see it.

I understand your point but, respectfully, there are many, many fewer chairs in the Retreat Area than the pool area/sundeck. So its almost more annoying to see those chairs vacant (of a person)  for a couple hours when one just wants to sit there in the semi-quiet away from the pool area. Particularly for Enchanted and Sky.  I will usually dip in the pool to cool off, but back in my seat in 5 to 10 minutes. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

Cumbercome embarkation, not nice but no big problem. MDR quality reduced, not good but usually i find something to eat. Boring shows, no problem as talking with other passengers is entertainment for me. But this deckchair hogging is something i can not stand.

The first cruise line which actively enforce pooldeck rules and takes avtively countermeasurements very likely will have two very loyal customers, DW and me.

If my position isn‘t clear: annoying, absolutly annoying.

• Like 3

I am also annoyed about another type of chair hog. When buffet seating it full to the brim and people exiting buffet area with plates of food to find 1 person at a table for 4 already done eating on phone or staring out window or the party of 4 or 6 who after eating decide to start a card game. I find this type of char hog inconsiderate as there are so many places on ship to to do things other than eat. We eat and leave so others can do the same.

• Like 8

Not only at the pool:

1) individuals leave an item on a table in the buffet and then begin to look for food. 

2) Individuals will take a seat in the theater and reserve several seats for friends.

Fortunately, this is much more common on Celebrity than Princess. 

We have it easy. We don't like the main floor of the pool area. Too crowded. We always go to the second level.  Yes. we use the loungers all day long. Yes. We go to breakfast and then go back and we go to lunch and we go back. But because we are on the second level, we never get bothered.  Life is way to short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

Jesus would be proud.

I'm so happy he would. Maybe he could provide chairs for all of us. 

Either way my solution is to remove the stuff & let someone else sit in the chair. Now everyone is happy. 

If you plan on being gone for more than 30 minutes you have to leave a guard to protect the chair. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Not only at the pool:

1) individuals leave an item on a table in the buffet and then begin to look for food. What's wrong with that as long as you plan on eventually eating. How do you reserve a seat when you go back for seconds or dessert?

2) Individuals will take a seat in the theater and reserve several seats for friends. Not several, but one for the husband. 

Fortunately, this is much more common on Celebrity than Princess. 

See above. 

24 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Not only at the pool:

1) individuals leave an item on a table in the buffet and then begin to look for food. 

This is tolerated MUCH more so than at the pool (at least by me).  Getting seating in the buffet can be quite challenging...it just does not bother me when I see a table being "held" in the buffet because I *know* they'll be back very shortly.  With the pool...that can be a different story altogether.

• Like 7

It's all about the time you are gone from your chair.  If you are using it, but get up to go do something and are back in the time allotted by Princess, you are not a chair hog.

In a previous thread on this, some thought that if you get up at all, you should take your stuff with you.  Everyone see this stuff different.