CCL's stock price

Shawn5

8 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

Am interested in getting Princess gift cards through AARP. Is this still a thing?

Not sure...there was an expiration date to buy them but last I heard people were still able to get them.  There's a who thread here on CC about buying them.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, suzyed said:

Not sure...there was an expiration date to buy them but last I heard people were still able to get them.  There's a who thread here on CC about buying them.  Good luck!

Thanks, found them on AARP site, lots of cruise line choices, 10% off.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, suzyed said:

No expiration to buy them 🙂

• 2 months later...

CCL stock has been slowly going down again, it almost hit $20 a few weeks ago.  Today it closed at $14.45

Company: Carnival Corporation
Ticker: CCL
Exchange: NYSE
Last Trade: $14.45
Change: -0.2
% Change: -1.37%
Volume: 22,623,670
Day's High: $14.69
Day's Low: $14.27
Previous Close: $14.65

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:49 PM, LACruiser88 said:

CCL stock has been slowly going down again, it almost hit $20 a few weeks ago.  Today it closed at $14.45

Company: Carnival Corporation
Ticker: CCL
Exchange: NYSE
Last Trade: $14.45
Change: -0.2
% Change: -1.37%
Volume: 22,623,670
Day's High: $14.69
Day's Low: $14.27
Previous Close: $14.65

CUK hit $12.46 but rumors have it that it is about to post its 1st profit since 2019. I own CUK so that's what I personally follow. Doesn't really matter. Bought at 6.50 on 10/5/22 and already collected more than that in SOBC after selling CCL at a paper loss for tax benefits 

(CCL 13.76)

• Like 1

Yeah my 1st purchase was 56. After factoring out SOBC, dividends, and a little day trading back & forth i was in at net 13ish. So sold at loss to get tax benefits. Waited my 30 days (wash period) & got into CUK at 6.50. Just downloaded Schwab into TurboTax and accepted whatever

Nice deduction last year, this year, and maybe next year

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I owned CCL in a Roth IRA, so I received no tax benefits from the loss. Fortunately, I did not have to pay taxes on the cash dividends for the several years I received them. I received more in OBC and dividends than I paid for the stock, so I can't really complain. I had to transfer the stock out of the IRA into joint ownership with DW this year (establishing a lower basis with no tax loss), because I am a veteran and DW is not.

• Like 1

Bought in sterling in 2009.  Had dividends for 10 years and of course obc in AUD and US$  Did the sums this week and I am 4,400 sterling in profit and still own the shares so quite happy to wait for them to rise again and perhaps start getting dividends

• Like 4

On 3/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, Shawn5 said:

So it's no secret that cruise lines' stock prices are in the toilet. This chart shows CCL's stock price vs. the S&P500 since 2020. Certainly the pandemic didn't help, but you can't help wondering if there are other factors at play. One thing might be their lousy customer service and the way they treat current and past travelers. Unless you're classified as an "Elite, Platinum, etc." they couldn't care less about you. Try calling them with a simple request or question and you'll get nowhere.  Perhaps they should provide better customer service to those who are spending $3k, $5k, or maybe over $10k on a cruise instead of "escalating" your question or issue to a different person or department that may or most likely will not resolve your problem.

2023-03-25 23_42_20-Carnival Corporation & plc (CCL) Interactive Stock Chart - Yahoo Finance.jpg

Since the pandemic CCL stock did rise in the UK from a low of a little over £5 to a peak a few months ago to £13.75. I purchased 100 at £6.99 before our cruise in April for which I got £150 onboard credit. When they reached £13.40 per share I sold them making £600 profit as being in my 70's I wasn't sure how many more cruises I would embark on and even if I did four cruise where I received the maximum onboard credit of £150 it would be four years before I was in an even situation and if I spent £150 onboard I would receive 10% off as we are Caribbean Tier on P&O.

I am not deeply versed in the workings of the financial markets, but the below report (released this morning) looks like good news for CCL.  Maybe someone who is well-versed can give a layman's opinion on the status of CCL based on the information below?

September 29, 2023 9:15 AM EDT

CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC REPORTS ALL-TIME RECORD REVENUE AND DEMONSTRATES STRONG THIRD QUARTER 2023 EARNINGS MOMENTUM

MIAMI, Sept. 29, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) reports third quarter 2023 earnings and provides an outlook for the full year and fourth quarter 2023.

• U.S. GAAP net income of $1.07 billion, or $0.79 diluted EPS, and adjusted net income of $1.18 billion, or $0.86 adjusted EPS, exceeded the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $2.22 billion also exceeded the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Third quarter revenues hit an all-time high of $6.9 billion.
  • Continued strength in close-in demand enabled the company to increase its net per diems guidance for full year 2023 by one percentage point to up approximately 7.0 percent compared to 2019 (in constant currency).
  • Booking volumes during the third quarter and the month of September continued at significantly elevated levels.
  • The company's cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2024 is well above the high end of the historical range at higher prices (in constant currency) than 2023 levels.
  • Total customer deposits reached a third quarter record of $6.3 billion.
  • The company now expects fuel consumption per available lower berth day ("ALBD") for full year 2023 to be nearly 16 percent lower than 2019, better than previously expected.
  • The company reduced its debt by nearly $4 billion from its peak in the first quarter of 2023 and ended the third quarter with $5.7 billion of liquidity.
  •  

"We delivered over $1 billion to the bottom line with revenue reaching an all-time high" commented Carnival Corporation & plc's Chief Executive Officer Josh Weinstein. "Both revenue and earnings significantly exceeded expectations this quarter enabling us to take up expectations for the year."

Weinstein continued, "The outperformance was driven by strength in demand, with both our North America and Australia segment and Europe segment equally outperforming expectations. It is gratifying to see the power of our portfolio deliver, as our continental European brands have stepped up nicely. Our demand generation efforts are working across all regions, as we have consistently been achieving quarterly net per diems well in excess of 2019 levels, while closing the occupancy gap by 11 points over the course of the year."

Weinstein added, "I continue to be encouraged with our revenue trajectory heading into next year as we see no signs of slowing from our consumers."

Third Quarter 2023 Results

• For the first time since the resumption of guest cruise operations, U.S. GAAP net income turned positive, generating $1.07 billion, or $0.79 diluted EPS, marking a significant milestone. Adjusted net income of $1.18 billion, or $0.86 adjusted EPS, exceeded the June guidance range of $0.95 billion to $1.05 billion.
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $2.22 billion also exceeded the June guidance range of $2.05 billion to $2.15 billion.
  • While gross margin yields were down compared to 2019, net yields (in constant currency) exceeded strong 2019 levels (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
    • Occupancy in the third quarter of 2023 was 109 percent, better than the company's expectations and a return to historical levels.
    • Gross margin per diems were down compared to 2019. Net per diems (in constant currency) exceeded 2019 levels, overcoming headwinds from the removal of St. Petersburg, Russia as a marquee destination and were approximately one percentage point above the midpoint of the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Cruise costs per ALBD increased 8.9 percent as compared to the third quarter of 2019. Adjusted cruise costs excluding fuel per ALBD (in constant currency) increased 15 percent compared to the third quarter of 2019, in line with June guidance (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Total customer deposits reached a third quarter record of $6.3 billion, surpassing the previous third quarter record of $4.9 billion (as of August 31, 2019), by 28 percent.
  •  

Bookings 

Booking volumes during the third quarter continued at significantly elevated levels, setting a new third quarter record for total bookings during the quarter. Weinstein noted, "We are maintaining strong momentum and continuing to build demand through our improved commercial execution. Booking volumes during the quarter were running nearly 20 percent above 2019 levels and multiples of our capacity growth, which has continued into September. This has helped us extend the booking curve even further, with our North American brands exceeding historical highs and our European brands essentially achieving pre-pause levels."

The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2024 is well above the high end of the historical range at higher prices (in constant currency) than 2023 levels. This aligns with the company's yield management strategy to base load bookings, lengthen the booking curve and optimize net yields. Weinstein added, "Our booked position for 2024 is further out than we have ever seen and at strong prices. With less remaining inventory to sell, despite a five percent increase in capacity, we are well positioned to drive pricing higher and deliver strong yield improvement in 2024."

2023 Outlook

For the full year 2023, the company expects:

• Adjusted EBITDA of $4.1 billion to $4.2 billion, within the June guidance range, despite the $125 million net unfavorable impact from fuel price and currency from June guidance
  • Occupancy of 100 percent or higher
  • Net per diems (in constant currency) up approximately 7.0 percent compared to 2019, one percentage point higher than the midpoint of June guidance, based on the continued strength in close-in demand
  • Adjusted cruise costs excluding fuel per ALBD (in constant currency) at the high end of June guidance range
  • Fuel consumption per ALBD to be nearly 16 percent lower than 2019, better than previously expected

For the fourth quarter of 2023, the company expects:

• Adjusted EBITDA of $800 million to $900 million
  • Net yields (in constant currency) up mid-single digits compared to 2019 with occupancy in line with historical levels and net per diems (in constant currency) up 7.0% to 8.0% compared to 2019
  •  

See "Guidance" and "Reconciliation of Forecasted Data" for additional information on the company's 2023 outlook.

Financing and Capital Activity 

Carnival Corporation & plc Chief Financial Officer David Bernstein noted, "We are accelerating our debt repayment efforts and aggressively managing down our interest expense. In just the last six months, we have reduced our debt balance by over 10 percent or nearly $4 billion. With improving performance, growing operating cash flows and $5.7 billion of liquidity, we are on a path to end the year with less than $31 billion of debt."

The third quarter generated cash from operations of $1.8 billion and adjusted free cash flow of $1.1 billion. The company expects continued growth in adjusted free cash flow to be the driver for paying down debt over time.

The company took the following actions to proactively manage its debt portfolio since May 31, 2023:

• Completed a $1.3 billion senior secured first lien term loan B facility due 2027 and completed a $500 million private offering of first-priority Senior Secured Notes due 2029 to repay its existing U.S. dollar first-priority secured term loan facility maturing in 2025
  • Called $1.2 billion of its highest cost debt
  • Prepaid an additional $1.1 billion of debt with maturities from 2024 through 2027
  • On an annualized basis, saved $200 million in gross interest expense and approximately $100 million in net interest expense as a result of lower interest income following these debt prepayments
  •  

During the third quarter of 2023, the company reduced its debt by $2.4 billion and ended the third quarter with $5.7 billion of liquidity, including cash and borrowings available under the revolving credit facility. In addition, $0.9 billion of customer deposit reserves were returned to the company, leaving a balance of $1.3 billion held in reserve by the credit card providers as of August 31, 2023. Substantially all of the credit card reserves are expected to be returned by the end of 2024.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I am not deeply versed in the workings of the financial markets, but the below report (released this morning) looks like good news for CCL.  Maybe someone who is well-versed can give a layman's opinion on the status of CCL based on the information below?

September 29, 2023 9:15 AM EDT

CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC REPORTS ALL-TIME RECORD REVENUE AND DEMONSTRATES STRONG THIRD QUARTER 2023 EARNINGS MOMENTUM

MIAMI, Sept. 29, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) reports third quarter 2023 earnings and provides an outlook for the full year and fourth quarter 2023.

• U.S. GAAP net income of $1.07 billion, or $0.79 diluted EPS, and adjusted net income of $1.18 billion, or $0.86 adjusted EPS, exceeded the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $2.22 billion also exceeded the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Continued strength in close-in demand enabled the company to increase its net per diems guidance for full year 2023 by one percentage point to up approximately 7.0 percent compared to 2019 (in constant currency).
  • Booking volumes during the third quarter and the month of September continued at significantly elevated levels.
  • The company's cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2024 is well above the high end of the historical range at higher prices (in constant currency) than 2023 levels.
  • Total customer deposits reached a third quarter record of $6.3 billion.
  • The company now expects fuel consumption per available lower berth day ("ALBD") for full year 2023 to be nearly 16 percent lower than 2019, better than previously expected.
  • The company reduced its debt by nearly $4 billion from its peak in the first quarter of 2023 and ended the third quarter with $5.7 billion of liquidity.
  •  

"We delivered over $1 billion to the bottom line with revenue reaching an all-time high" commented Carnival Corporation & plc's Chief Executive Officer Josh Weinstein. "Both revenue and earnings significantly exceeded expectations this quarter enabling us to take up expectations for the year."

Weinstein continued, "The outperformance was driven by strength in demand, with both our North America and Australia segment and Europe segment equally outperforming expectations. It is gratifying to see the power of our portfolio deliver, as our continental European brands have stepped up nicely. Our demand generation efforts are working across all regions, as we have consistently been achieving quarterly net per diems well in excess of 2019 levels, while closing the occupancy gap by 11 points over the course of the year."

Weinstein added, "I continue to be encouraged with our revenue trajectory heading into next year as we see no signs of slowing from our consumers."

Third Quarter 2023 Results

• For the first time since the resumption of guest cruise operations, U.S. GAAP net income turned positive, generating $1.07 billion, or $0.79 diluted EPS, marking a significant milestone. Adjusted net income of $1.18 billion, or $0.86 adjusted EPS, exceeded the June guidance range of $0.95 billion to $1.05 billion.
  • Adjusted EBITDA of $2.22 billion also exceeded the June guidance range of $2.05 billion to $2.15 billion.
  • While gross margin yields were down compared to 2019, net yields (in constant currency) exceeded strong 2019 levels (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
    • Occupancy in the third quarter of 2023 was 109 percent, better than the company's expectations and a return to historical levels.
    • Gross margin per diems were down compared to 2019. Net per diems (in constant currency) exceeded 2019 levels, overcoming headwinds from the removal of St. Petersburg, Russia as a marquee destination and were approximately one percentage point above the midpoint of the June guidance range (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Cruise costs per ALBD increased 8.9 percent as compared to the third quarter of 2019. Adjusted cruise costs excluding fuel per ALBD (in constant currency) increased 15 percent compared to the third quarter of 2019, in line with June guidance (see "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below).
  • Total customer deposits reached a third quarter record of $6.3 billion, surpassing the previous third quarter record of $4.9 billion (as of August 31, 2019), by 28 percent.
  •  

Bookings 

Booking volumes during the third quarter continued at significantly elevated levels, setting a new third quarter record for total bookings during the quarter. Weinstein noted, "We are maintaining strong momentum and continuing to build demand through our improved commercial execution. Booking volumes during the quarter were running nearly 20 percent above 2019 levels and multiples of our capacity growth, which has continued into September. This has helped us extend the booking curve even further, with our North American brands exceeding historical highs and our European brands essentially achieving pre-pause levels."

The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2024 is well above the high end of the historical range at higher prices (in constant currency) than 2023 levels. This aligns with the company's yield management strategy to base load bookings, lengthen the booking curve and optimize net yields. Weinstein added, "Our booked position for 2024 is further out than we have ever seen and at strong prices. With less remaining inventory to sell, despite a five percent increase in capacity, we are well positioned to drive pricing higher and deliver strong yield improvement in 2024."

2023 Outlook

For the full year 2023, the company expects:

• Adjusted EBITDA of $4.1 billion to $4.2 billion, within the June guidance range, despite the $125 million net unfavorable impact from fuel price and currency from June guidance
  • Occupancy of 100 percent or higher
  • Net per diems (in constant currency) up approximately 7.0 percent compared to 2019, one percentage point higher than the midpoint of June guidance, based on the continued strength in close-in demand
  • Adjusted cruise costs excluding fuel per ALBD (in constant currency) at the high end of June guidance range
  • Fuel consumption per ALBD to be nearly 16 percent lower than 2019, better than previously expected

For the fourth quarter of 2023, the company expects:

• Adjusted EBITDA of $800 million to $900 million
  • Net yields (in constant currency) up mid-single digits compared to 2019 with occupancy in line with historical levels and net per diems (in constant currency) up 7.0% to 8.0% compared to 2019
  •  

See "Guidance" and "Reconciliation of Forecasted Data" for additional information on the company's 2023 outlook.

Financing and Capital Activity 

Carnival Corporation & plc Chief Financial Officer David Bernstein noted, "We are accelerating our debt repayment efforts and aggressively managing down our interest expense. In just the last six months, we have reduced our debt balance by over 10 percent or nearly $4 billion. With improving performance, growing operating cash flows and $5.7 billion of liquidity, we are on a path to end the year with less than $31 billion of debt."

The third quarter generated cash from operations of $1.8 billion and adjusted free cash flow of $1.1 billion. The company expects continued growth in adjusted free cash flow to be the driver for paying down debt over time.

The company took the following actions to proactively manage its debt portfolio since May 31, 2023:

• Completed a $1.3 billion senior secured first lien term loan B facility due 2027 and completed a $500 million private offering of first-priority Senior Secured Notes due 2029 to repay its existing U.S. dollar first-priority secured term loan facility maturing in 2025
  • Called $1.2 billion of its highest cost debt
  • Prepaid an additional $1.1 billion of debt with maturities from 2024 through 2027
  • On an annualized basis, saved $200 million in gross interest expense and approximately $100 million in net interest expense as a result of lower interest income following these debt prepayments
  •  

During the third quarter of 2023, the company reduced its debt by $2.4 billion and ended the third quarter with $5.7 billion of liquidity, including cash and borrowings available under the revolving credit facility. In addition, $0.9 billion of customer deposit reserves were returned to the company, leaving a balance of $1.3 billion held in reserve by the credit card providers as of August 31, 2023. Substantially all of the credit card reserves are expected to be returned by the end of 2024.

Caught the CEO of CCL on Squawk on the Street this morning, and CCL looks really strong for the future. 

Today's consumer/cruiser is pivoting towards all-inclusive cruising for value. 

As a shareholder, I'm happy with Q3.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Caught the CEO of CCL on Squawk on the Street this morning, and CCL looks really strong for the future. 

Today's consumer/cruiser is pivoting towards all-inclusive cruising for value. 

As a shareholder, I'm happy with Q3.

As a shareholder, I'll be happy the day they restore the dividend. But I am not holding my breath until that day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I have not read it yet and wouldn't be able to come up with a real financial conclusion.  It does appear The Market was anticipating liking the results yesterday with stock up, but today it went down relatively steep and recovered some in late afternoon, so it tells me The Market wasn't all that impressed.  Too bad.

ETA:  Based on the report above (surface level), one might expect CCL to be zooming higher.  Perhaps it was the slightly lowered EBITDA for full year 2023 that put a damper on it.  IDK what "the street" was expecting even though CCL beat June guidance.  If a company doesn't beat the street expectations (sometimes called "whisper numbers", then stock doesn't rally. 

One comment from Weinstein is that he seems to almost gleefully opine that they are in position to drive pricing higher. 

Oh, and the higher fuel costs bit them, but they expect sunnier days on those costs going forward.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have not read it yet and wouldn't be able to come up with a real financial conclusion.  It does appear The Market was anticipating liking the results yesterday with stock up, but today it went down relatively steep and recovered some in late afternoon, so it tells me The Market wasn't all that impressed.  Too bad.

Cruise stocks went down basically, as stated in the report, that rising fuel cost are going to significantly impact their bottom line for the foreseeable future.  And who knows what else could go wrong with the economy if there is a sustained government shutdown which could impact travel in many different ways.

1 minute ago, Princessfan20 said:

Cruise stocks went down basically, as stated in the report, that rising fuel cost are going to significantly impact their bottom line for the foreseeable future.  And who knows what else could go wrong with the economy if there is a sustained government shutdown which could impact travel in many different ways.

Yes, I had missed noting that in my ETA section.  I think you responded while I was writing more.  There are always outside factors that can affect the business for sure.  If CCL has a strong 2023 and 2024, it will go a long way to restore some faith.  What we don't see in the report of course is how the individual brands are doing that make up the whole.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We get around $2k a year from our stocks in OBC, that's good for us at our buy-in of around $8.50 per share.

We purchased our shares quite a few years ago.  Over the years, we are 10x+ our initial investment via the OBC's.

A win-win for us.   💰💰💰

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

Here is one online assessment from today's report:

Sep 29, 2023

Carnival Corp. shares closed down 5% Friday at $13.72 after the company gave a mixed picture for 2024.

Scoring its first quarterly profit since the pandemic, Carnival blew past profit expectations and chalked up record revenues. Though the company raised its outlook, it forecast a wider Q4 loss than the Wall Street consensus and didn't issue 2024 guidance.

During the earnings call, analysts questioned consumer health and pressed for more 2024 details.

No signs of a slowdown

CEO Josh Weinstein repeatedly said Carnival sees no signs of a weakened consumer nor any slowdown in bookings or spending.

The company approaches 2024 with a 'strong base of business' positioning it for further revenue improvement. The booking curve has lengthened, occupancy is ahead of last year by 10 points on higher pricing and 'well ahead' of 2019 despite 2024's 5% capacity increase. Carnival expects to return to occupancy in the 106% to 107% range next year.

'We just haven't seen [any slowdown] in our bookings or our results,' Weinstein said.

European brands doing better

Where there was concern around Europe before, the CEO said Carnival's European brands should be applauded and congratulated for their turn around, with Costa Cruises and AIDA Cruises hitting positive yields over the summer. And though P&O Cruises, with a 40% capacity spike this year, may not have raised yields, it recovered occupancy.

Further gains for the European brands — which made up 38% of Carnival's capacity in 2023 — is expected. 'We're quite encouraged they'll be making up big chunks of revenue yield performance,' Weinstein said

The Carnival Cruise Line brand continues to outperform and adds capacity in 2024, while the Australia business is recovering.

Headwinds

On the minus side for 2024: The high-yielding Baltic itineraries that included St. Petersburg are still gone due to the war in Ukraine. China remains a question mark for the industry, though Carnival remains largely on the sidelines there.

Inflation is decelerating but 'we'll have to see how that plays out,' Weinstein said.

Expenses will be higher with 530 drydock days in 2024 adding three-quarters of a point to a point of cost.

Costs also go up with four new ships coming online. Before, new ships used to be 15% to 20% more efficient, but CFO David Bernstein noted that since Carnival's fleet optimization, with older vessels exiting during the pandemic, efficiency gains from new ships will probably be less than 1%.

EU emissions tax

With the European Union's new carbon emissions tax coming into play, Carnival expects to pay approximately $75m for the full year. This is expected to represent 40% of what the total will be at some point in the future as the taxes are progressive, Bernstein said. But since the tax is based on fuel consumption, mitigation efforts will help chip away at that.

Back to investment grade metrics in 2026?

By 2026, a combination of improving EBITDA and Carnival's debt reduction program should bring the company back to investment grade metrics, Bernstein said. With four newbuilds coming in 2024, there's less opportunity to narrow the debt. But in 2025, Carnival will take delivery of just one new ship, and no deliveries are planned for 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Hidden in the report was 7% increase in onboard spending. Assuming that is Plus / Premier pkgs taking hold.  2 lines of revenue: cabin booking + onboard spending

I think Carnival Cruise Lines contributes more to Carnival Corp than Princess cruise lines. Not sure the packages are more than a blip.

• Like 2