Lost Luggage Issues

evandbob

My DW and I thankfully have never had a bag permanently lost.

However a couple suggestions.  We always have a carryon with meds, toothbrush etc, but also 2 tops - DW, 2 polo shirts - me and 2 underwear for each and always travel in long pants.  Enough to get us by for two days.

As another said we also always cross pack clothing so a loss of one case not a total disaster.

Like others disappointed at the response of Celebrity.

While not free, Chase Shapphire offers full primary car insurance, travel insurance and other benefits.  Jim wrote about it recently.  

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Aren't they 3rd party longshoremen unionized and make very good money? I tip a few bucks for my bag but I hate it when they put their hand out for money. 

Hate it or not that is the way it works. It is an unfortunate part of our culture. I tip $5 a bag. Never got any flak about that amount. No one is required to tip but if they get upset about the size of the tip I would hate that too. 

The last few cruises I intended to only take a carry on but at the last minute when packing the bag I chickened out. Maybe next time I will do it. 

Edited by Charles4515

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No one is required to tip but if they get upset about the size of the tip I would hate that too. 

No kidding. And then you know where your bag ends up. Many years ago cabin steward kept walking into my SR while I was changing.  The second time I reported it and when I went to get my luggage at the pier both tags had been cut and luggage was in lost and found.  Now I keep my mouth shut. 

23 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

No kidding. And then you know where your bag ends up. Many years ago cabin steward kept walking into my SR while I was changing.  The second time I reported it and when I went to get my luggage at the pier both tags had been cut and luggage was in lost and found.  Now I keep my mouth shut. 

That happened to me! The tv remote was not working and needed new batteries. I called guest relations and someone was sent up. The steward got upset and told me I should have called him and he would be in trouble. I said sorry I didn't know. I guess he was supposed to check the remote. I always put two tags on my luggage. Both tags were cut off and my luggage was at lost and found in the bag pickup area. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

To be fair, the OP, a veteran cruiser, was not asking for advice or help.  Instead the OP wanted to know if anyone had a similar lost suitcase experience and if his report was typical (post pandemic).  That was the question I attempted to answer.

Thanks !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m so sorry this happened to you! I’m also sorry some people’s first reactions were to say they’ve never heard of it happening on Celebrity, which is a 100% unhelpful statement. I’d definitely fight to get all purchases reimbursed and a healthy FCC. Celebrity’s offerings to you were terrible customer service as obviously you need head to toe clothes immediately, and with the laundry, you can’t send out your outfit and wait a day to get it back, or you’d be naked for 24 hours! Good luck!!

Appreciate your comments !!

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Aren't they 3rd party longshoremen unionized and make very good money? I tip a few bucks for my bag but I hate it when they put their hand out for money. 

Personally never seen them stick their hands out but often its just their tip-fishing-attitude that rubs me the wrong way.  A recent Port Everglades interaction we had went something like this, Porter: "Need help with your bags?  Great, I'll take REAL GOOD care of your bags...Where are you fine folks coming from, WOW!!!! California?  That's a LONG way from here but don't worry, we take care of our out of towners here"

The conversation couldn't have been more pointless...lol

5 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Can I ask about Air Tags please--don't have Apple Iphone so do they work with any mobile mine is Samsung? I'm not tech minded!!

Thanks 

I believe Air tags only work within the Apple system. Samsung has "Galaxy Smart tags."   Guessing they are similar, but have only used Apple.  If you google "Air Tag alternatives for Samsung" you can find a few good articles explaining the function of smart tags. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Can I ask about Air Tags please--don't have Apple Iphone so do they work with any mobile mine is Samsung? I'm not tech minded!!

Thanks 

AirTags don’t work with Android phones like Samsung. Android users can use Tile trackers. Samsung also has Samsung trackers. The rumor is that Google is developing Android trackers that work like AirTags that might be released later this year or early next year.  The rumor is probably true as Google copies features from Apple that have been successful and vice versa, if an Android feature is successful Apple will have something like it a year or two later. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Thanks 

They're called "Galaxy SmartTags", apple air tags won't work on droids

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They're called "Galaxy SmartTags", apple air tags won't work on droids

Thanks I also have a Samsung galaxy phone. Do you need data on to track? Being from Canada I have it turned off when I reach port.

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Thanks I also have a Samsung galaxy phone. Do you need data on to track? Being from Canada I have it turned off when I reach port.

AirTags connect via bluetooth. I am sure the others do the same.  So you would only need to have bluetooth enabled on your phone which does not require a data.  Bluetooth is automatically enabled on your AirTag.  

I have not tried using my AirTags without my phone connected to WiFi or a cellular signal.  I am told that the Wi-Fi makes the whole system operate better.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Tiles only work if another Samsung phone is within about 15'-25'.

While this is a great discussion remember they had over 500000 misplaced bags at Schipol last year.  A couple million bags in the US alone are delayed.

The chance of your bag not getting the short distance to your cabin is very very small.  If someone decides to steal tour bag and you see it heading from the terminal into town what do you do then?  Your ship is departing shortly.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Tiles only work if another Samsung phone is within about 15'-25'.

While this is a great discussion remember they had over 500000 misplaced bags at Schipol last year.  A couple million bags in the US alone are delayed.

The chance of your bag not getting the short distance to your cabin is very very small.  If someone decides to steal tour bag and you see it heading from the terminal into town what do you do then?  Your ship is departing shortly.

It's about knowing if the bag is somewhere on the ship or is back in the terminal.  GS standard operating procedure seems to be "don't worry, I'm sure it'll show up any minute now".

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:07 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Yes there have been a couple threads on it -  Here's one from 2015

Was on a cruise out of LA where one of the luggage fork lift  container got dropped into the water.  They had to send divers down to retrieve the luggage and the container.  Delayed the ships departure for about 2 hours.

17 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Thanks 

Tile makes an android product 

3 hours ago, charleysmom said:

Ok, y’all have me very paranoid. Just ordered trackers for our cruise that leaves Saturday!! 😄

Pack with the worst case scenario in mind. Trackers are helpful, but not a cure-all. Enjoy you're cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Pack with the worst case scenario in mind. Trackers are helpful, but not a cure-all. Enjoy you're cruise!

While true, like most anything isn't 100% guaranteed, trackers give us travelers the best chance of recovering lost baggage by simply just knowing if it's still on the ship, in the terminal or at someone's residence.  I average around 30 flights a year and only hear good things about trackers specifically when airlines were losing baggage en mass.  On the travel forums like flyertalk and reddit, there are countless success stories like this below:

image.thumb.png.a493143ea2c5f1802685020ee8c73f10.png

On 4/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, weregoingcruising said:

A receipt should be given to you by porter like its done at the airport. This is prove that you checked the bag at the port to be loaded on to the ship.

I don't think I've ever received anything like that when handing our luggage over at embarkation.  But I think it should happen.    

33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't think I've ever received anything like that when handing our luggage over at embarkation.  But I think it should happen.    

I believe what would be helpful are barcode stickers with the crew scanning the barcode each time it changes hands but as I stated above, extremely doubtful that's happening anytime soon.  A terminal porter receipt is pointless unless they're tracking it (such as barcodes and scanners) because it isn't like guest services is debating whether or not you dropped your bag off with a porter or not

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1