Have I made a mistake….Oosterdam

envy4u

I’ve been reading some reviews that are not vey good on Cruise Critic. Have I made a mistake booking a 12 day Med/Israel cruise? What did you live or dislike on this ship? Appreciate your thoughts and comment. 

Took our first HAL cruise in 2009 on the Maasdam and went through the same doubts once I read on cruise critic the ship should have been sent years prior to Pakistan and dismantled for scrap years.  Seriously, I do not exaggerate at the level of posted criticism against that ship. 

Yet, we got hooked on Hal and on the Maasdam after our first cruise on her and followed her on many other cruises until she finally departed from HAL after her really grand "In-Depth" voyages a few years ago.

Hard to know what your expectations are, what you demand and what you think is still value for the price in order to respond to your question. 

• Like 1

I haven't been on Oosterdam, but I was on a 34-day cruise on Noordam, which is a sister ship to Oosterdam.  I liked the ship.  It was smaller (I think about 1900 passengers), which appeals to me.  The entertainment options might be fewer than on a larger ship, but I was never bored. Dining in the main dining room and Pinnacle Grill was great.  I'm not a fan of Italian food, but my wife loved the Canaletto.  I can't say that there was anything I disliked on the ship.  I also tend to think that the itinerary is more important than the ship (within reason).

In my opinion, you need to be careful with negative reviews on Cruise Critic.  Some are valuable, but others are done by people who post nothing but negative comments.  After the cruise, which I loved, I read many negative reviews of the cruise.  You might want to click on their profile to see what else they have posted.

Edited by sciencewonk
Added content.
  • Like 8

We were on Oosterdam in February for two weeks (South America)

and loved it. Wonderful music, good food with imaginative menus.

The buffet was perhaps a touch busy at times but that wasn’t a

significant minus and has to be seen in the context of everything 

else being very much to our liking. Do give it a try !

• Like 1

You will love it.  She was my first 11 years ago in Alaska  Been on all the different sizes but not Rotterdam.  

we are going back to Oosterdam this summer on a 7 day Venice to Athens. Super excited to get back on Oosterdam

• Like 1

We were on her for a 14 day South America trip last month and loved her, nice size ship, great crew (if a little understaffed), better entertainment than I expected, and a great captain. I think you’ll have a good time.

General consensus is most people like the Oosterdam. I was on the Oosterdam in February for a South America trip-loved it. Loved it so much and be booked 2 HAL cruises for next year! It would be interesting to ask what are YOU looking for in your cruise ship? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, envy4u said:

Have I made a mistake booking a 12 day Med/Israel cruise?

The ship is fine (12 days Eastern Med last June) but personally would consider the mistake to be considering an itinerary with Israel or any itinerary with Med-African ports (personal view).

9 hours ago, envy4u said:

I’ve been reading some reviews that are not vey good on Cruise Critic. Have I made a mistake booking a 12 day Med/Israel cruise? What did you live or dislike on this ship? Appreciate your thoughts and comment. 

Yes, you have made a mistake.  It is not trusting yourself to go in your vacation, experience it for yourself, and make your own decision. I am guilty of the same "mistake", but the good news is that I sailed the Oosterdam and everything was amazing for me. I like the size and layout better than the new ships. The crew was fantastic and even better was the itinerary and ports. It is natural to stress and worry before a big trip but what matters most is your attitude while traveling. If every little, tiny thing is going to bother you while traveling, then it is going to be stressful. If you have the attitude "I'm on this adventure, situations are bound to arise, just go with it and enjoy the ride" your chances of enjoyment will increase. Just do you and don't worry what other people think. Happy cruising! 

• Like 8

Sailed on her in November and the Captain was amazing with his cooking challenge contest show.  So funny!  

The guys at the Sea View Bar were phenomenal.  They couldn’t do enough for you.  Absolutely fabulous!

If you are fortunate enough to have the same crew, you are in for a wonderful cruise.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

gameroom/arcade

We wandered through the game room when exploring the ship. I believe it is part of the kids club during the day but is open to everyone in the evening.  There was skee ball, air hockey and some video games.  

Loved the ship.  Perfect size.  Excellent service.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1

We did a 14 night Greek cruise last August on the Oosterdam in a Signature Suite. The cabin was in great shape and the crew we found to be awesome. The food in the MDR was very good every night and service was excellent. We loved the Lido and compared to Celebrity's OVC it was so much better. My only complaint is that in some common areas like the hallways to cabins shows the ships age with scratches and dents everywhere, but that is very minor overall. If you want nightly big productions shows in the main theater, you may not get any, we didn't on our cruise plus we had no comedians or magicians. We do not cruise for the shows and entertainment so this was fine with us. We cruise for the itinerary and if the Oosterdam meets that for you, I would recommend you book the cruise. We chose the Oosterdam for the itinerary last year.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

Just disembarked the Oosterdam yesterday (19 night South America) and the ship was spotless, the food delicious and the crew on top of it....Numerous activities/entertainment options....We'd sail on her again without a doubt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, pirate cruiser said:

Since we are on this topic-we will be on the Oosterdam in the Med. in sept. The ship info says there is some type of gameroom/arcade-would someone give me some specifics on what this is ? Thanks.

On our last Oosterdam sailing last month it was closed to grownups in evenings (I assume the few kids on board needed care then?) but otherwise open to all in days.  It had a few skeeball machines, a few video arcade machines, a couple pinball machines, a giant Jenga set, a number of physical game sets (think cornhole) and some other built in puzzles and activities in the space like a children’s museum might have.  Looked fairly new, prob done in the past few years.  All the machines were free for use without any payment.  

• Thanks 1

I just got off 31 days on Oosterdam and absolutely loved the ship and the South America itinerary.  She set sail yesterday for the Med.  Captain Kevin is a total hoot as a captain, but his comic foil of CD/ID Kevin left the ship for a vacation in FLL. Food was very good with good variety of options both in the MDR and the Lido.

A good, fun ship of a very nice size.  You didn't make a mistake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:51 AM, pirate cruiser said:

Since we are on this topic-we will be on the Oosterdam in the Med. in sept. The ship info says there is some type of gameroom/arcade-would someone give me some specifics on what this is ? Thanks.

Is your cruise Sept. 26, 2023?

17 hours ago, envy4u said:

No in June

On Oosterdam now 2 week TA.

loved my first cruise on her in 2019. 
Not pleased with a few things this time:

1800+ passengers. We tried making reservations for MDR- only a couple of days available so we are in a huge line up to get dinner most nights.

Seems to be a supply problem- no bacon in MDR for breakfast.  Saw bacon appetizer offered in Pinnacle Grill- food was amazing there.

Diet coke was not available on first day- waiting to restock, but ok now. 
My suitcase came at 6 pm soaked.

My last 3 cruises were on the newest Princess ships and I miss them & my elite benefits.

This is my first hand, current experience. Hope it helps.

Just now, dog said:

On Oosterdam now 2 week TA.

loved my first cruise on her in 2019. 
Not pleased with a few things this time:

1800+ passengers. We tried making reservations for MDR- only a couple of days available so we are in a huge line up to get dinner most nights.

Seems to be a supply problem- no bacon in MDR for breakfast.  Saw bacon appetizer offered in Pinnacle Grill- food was amazing there.

Diet coke was not available on first day- waiting to restock, but ok now. 
My suitcase came at 6 pm soaked.

My last 3 cruises were on the newest Princess ships and I miss them & my elite benefits.

This is my first hand, current experience. Hope it helps.

We must have eaten all the bacon on the South America cruise immediately prior to your TA since there was plenty on board for us!😁

• Haha 2