Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

We have a great butler.   I had some laundry to send out Boarding day -   He said just leave it out when we go to dinner and he would fill in the laundry slip for us and have it back before 5 the next day.

Unlike the Bag Challenge -  With the Fee Laundry all the socks came back in a cute little fabric parcel.   They even matched all of our socks.   I kidded with Iain and said they should of rolled the socks together so I could just drop in the drawer.

Recently Celebrity launched a new program in combination with The British Butler's Institution.   All butlers and retest hosts went through training on being a "Proper Butler" including training on packing and unpacking suitcases -  which of course virtually not many would ever consider asking for.

IMG_2568.thumb.jpeg.07a9c4d7ca591d1aa92befb3aded0c94.jpeg

IMG_2567.thumb.jpeg.ffd184e99f1c3924725048532ace4fd7.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

it sounds to me like what you ordered or was served was the Daniel Boulud Signature dinner which has not had very many good reviews in my reading.

I tried his chicken on the Equinox in 2021  and it was totally inedible and gave it a second chance on the Reflection last year and it was even worse. Can't believe that Chef Boulud keeps his name on this, it keeps me from ever trying one of his land restaurants. Of all the Luminae dishes this probably gets more complaints on CC than anything.

Cautionary note. We are in an SV on this TA and the lounge chairs have been removed from the balconies even the corner AQ suite next to us. Reason given is "safety". Not sure if this is specific to Apex or not. Ability to negotiate an exception is questionable.

10 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Cautionary note. We are in an SV on this TA and the lounge chairs have been removed from the balconies even the corner AQ suite next to us. Reason given is "safety". Not sure if this is specific to Apex or not. Ability to negotiate an exception is questionable.

I have an SV booked on two upcoming Apex sailings…not TAs.  I am anxious to hear if the loungers will be replaced at the end of your crossing.  Thanks.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:57 PM, kwokpot said:

The bar in the Apex works more like a service bar. The issue is twofold. First is the location. One side of the bar is along a corridor to the restrooms. Because of this there's no overhang bartop and consequently no seating whatsoever. So basically it's a standing only bar to watch the bartender make your drink. Which is why I say in this case, to me, it's more comfortable to sit anywhere in the Retreat and wait to be served my drink. 

Screenshot_20230421-170331~2.png

I don't like this. I like sitting at the bar. Especially when you have someone great like Cranston serving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:45 PM, hcat said:

I have the books for EDGE and BEYOND.  Just as I was organizing an art crawl for our Roll Call on our first EDGE CRUISE..Celebrity came out with its tour.  It was a great tour and we loved it..alot less work for me!

Can't wait to add ASCENT and APEX .....

What is this tour? More details please.

14 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you so much Jim for taking the time to respond to my question. I really appreciate it! 

You see, in my position being offered a likely once in a life time opportunity, I really did not want to order from the Blu or MDR menus.

I wanted to taste and see the Luminae experience. I really was hoping to be blown away, by the taste, colors and service like I have been on five star land restaurants...

In my context as a guest, complaining or asking a different dish, was not an option in my mind. It would have been embarrassing as a privileged guess to do so! 

Your description of service, correspond to the service we received in the MDR second seating. Like you, we absolutely enjoy, taking our time and eat at a leisurely pace. Our sommelier and servers offered attentive and personalized service.

So, my conclusion is that for me, the Suite experience is not necessarily a good match for us.

Thank-you so much for helping me better understand the Luminae experience! 

I know you asked Jim and I respect your thoughts and choices.  I would just add the comment that a single meal in Luminae does not necessarily reflect on the entirety of the suite experience.  You might enjoy it!😀

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Croooser said:

"me thinks"  it will work out..one way or another!  we only need 1 lounger..

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I tried his chicken on the Equinox in 2021  and it was totally inedible and gave it a second chance on the Reflection last year and it was even worse. Can't believe that Chef Boulud keeps his name on this, it keeps me from ever trying one of his land restaurants. Of all the Luminae dishes this probably gets more complaints on CC than anything.

It really surprises me as all meals in Luminae are supposed to be cooked to order.  All the fish I have had have been incredibly good. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It really surprises me as all meals in Luminae are supposed to be cooked to order.  All the fish I have had have been incredibly good. 

That is what I thought too. After the second terrible experience last year on the Reflection with the Boulud Moroccan chicken I asked our server about the dish. I was told that the Chicken is pre cooked then frozen and reheated when ordered before the sauce is added which is why it tends to be so overcooked and dried out. He also told me, so few even order the chicken anymore which is why it is prepared in advance. I agree about the fish, always is cooked prefect, unlike the MDR, and I tend to now gravitate to the fish dishes in Luminae, as long as they do not try and do any Tilapia.

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I took a double take when I passed the Rooftop grill area.  Thought they had bodies laid out as they had a Star code pool deck just before I passed.   Meditation Class.  

IMG_2604.thumb.jpeg.e502021d01c633ac0af3890236913607.jpeg

Looks more like a safety drill. LOL 

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is what I thought too. After the second terrible experience last year on the Reflection with the Boulud Moroccan chicken I asked our server about the dish. I was told that the Chicken is pre cooked then frozen and reheated when ordered before the sauce is added which is why it tends to be so overcooked and dried out. He also told me, so few even order the chicken anymore which is why it is prepared in advance. I agree about the fish, always is cooked prefect, unlike the MDR, and I tend to now gravitate to the fish dishes in Luminae, as long as they do not try and do any Tilapia.

Terry --- Have to agree.    I've loved every fish I ever had on Celebrity except on that I thought was terrible and very gelatinous and yucky... I couldn't remember what it was.

Last night they had the Barramundi and I googled to make sure it wasn't the yucky fish.... Its Asian Sea Bass... Which I did order and was very happy with it -

I asked Yuksel what was the fish that very gelatinous.   He told me he thinks I was referring to the Tilapia and said he doesn't eat it himself.   I definitely put that in my memory bank.    My favorite is the Turbot -  It is in a beautiful sauce and is a really nicely composed dish. 

• Like 1

@Jim_Iain & @terrydtx  I could not agree more.  I have only had one bad fish dish on celebrity and it was a ‘crusted’ dish but the crust was not very tasty or appealing.  I ended up scraping it all off the fish and found the fish undercooked to be perfectly cooked and delicious.  

I refuse to eat tilapia to the point of making sure it is not used in fish taco’s I order ashore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain & @terrydtx  I could not agree more.  I have only had one bad fish dish on celebrity and it was a ‘crusted’ dish but the crust was not very tasty or appealing.  I ended up scraping it all off the fish and found the fish undercooked to be perfectly cooked and delicious.  

I refuse to eat tilapia to the point of making sure it is not used in fish taco’s I order ashore.

Funny you should say that.   The MD, Yuksel, is from Turkey and said that at home he eats Sea Bass with a nice tasty soft skin.   He said on the ship he removes the skin.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain & @DaKahuna years ago I googled how Tilapia is mostly farm raised in 3rd World countries with no controls over how and what they are fed and raised. After what I read, I refused to ever eat it again. It is used in restaurants and probably by Celebrity because its is so cheap to buy. China and Indonesia are two of the biggest producers of Tilapia and the biggest offenders. My Local HEB grocery store fish manager told me that the Tilapia they sell is fresh and farmed raised in Costa Rica which has better controls and quality, but I still will not eat any.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

@TNcruiiser @just curious  @wncruiser   

If your are following Phil of our Roll Call  are looking for you.

Hi Cruise Critic Slot Pull Group

We will have the Slot Pull on April 27 at the Wheel of Fortune Machines.

Please we there between 11:30-11:45 to sign in and collection of your $15.00 to play. We have 76 people signed up to play but 3 have not given us their Last names nor cabin number. If you know any of these people and they are on  board  please have them call me  in unit 11170 or e mail me with their cabin number as we need to let them know when we are playing.

The people in question are:

WN Cruiser Steve & Joey Sarasota FL

TNCruiser501 Charlie  Memphis TN

Just Travelous Deborah & Jon Brandywine MD

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night they had the Barramundi and I googled to make sure it wasn't the yucky fish.... Its Asian Sea Bass... Which I did order and was very happy with it

Both my wife and I had ordered the Barramundi in Luminae and it was delicious each time. I will order it next time it is offered too.

Here is a description of the fish;

What Is Barramundi? (thespruceeats.com)

• Like 2