Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

42 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Which is why for us, the two times we've traveled in Retreat Class, we never went to Luminae for Lunch. For us the lunch menus at Luminae are too similar to the dinner menus in that it's a more elaborate meal than we want for lunch. That's why we enjoy the buffet for lunch which allows us to customize what we want for lunch to a degree that's not possible even at Luminae. 

We sometimes split a burger for lunch in Luminae, but we like going to the OV to sit outside.  I suspect with the current weather and the number of people on board, the OV would be very crowded.  We would probably have lunch in Luminae more often on this cruise.  We almost always enjoy breakfast at Luminae, but we are early risers.  Jim has a much different schedule than us. 

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unusual menus for last night

IMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.49b58efd39c59bbd59faf42f89987401.jpeg

IMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.3ca92580cbe054211d5ec81a673c20ae.jpeg

I got the point of food overload and not hungry yesterday

Iain had the Ceviche and lobsters 🦞 He said best lobster he has had in a long time v

I was in the mood for comfort food and chose something I never noticed on menu.  The Mushroom Pot Pie.   Incredible!!!

IMG_3070.thumb.jpeg.d3b9d13c30ed3d59675ed3e1f7edd3c3.jpeg

IMG_3071.thumb.jpeg.24f524c89407ced0bfd401dd1990c5f3.jpeg

IMG_3072.thumb.jpeg.031eff2ac089d665bd5cc6121331269c.jpeg

The chocolate sphere on the Apex is amazing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -

I am really setup on menus.    I was gifted a complete set of the 14 day rotation of the Luminae Dinner and Desert Menu and the 5 day lunch menu rotation.

I need to go back to the post where you posted those menu’s and save a copy.  Our next sailing is a 13 day next year.

It worked, although I only received a single scoop of gelato it is exactly what I wanted. 

IMG_9284.thumb.jpeg.ad0d4db295a8c7d69dc67a24878e07c1.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sphynxlady said:

I have done 40 some Celebrity cruises and will never be Zenith..  Wish they had something above Elite +. A specialty dinner would be nice.

Even Zenith's don't get a free specialty unless they are the top cruiser !!!

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Of course I'm reading this.  Wouldn't miss one of Jim's trip reports.

Yes, I did have one booked--Iceland/Greenland.  Booked a long time ago.  As my knees got worse, I decided to cancel and get them fixed instead.  Beware, Explora has a $200 cancelation penalty.

I guessed you would be reading, who wouldn't and thanks @Jim_Iain

Really very sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip and hope you get to sail this itinerary soon. Best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery, knees can be tricky.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unusual menus for last night

IMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.49b58efd39c59bbd59faf42f89987401.jpeg

IMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.3ca92580cbe054211d5ec81a673c20ae.jpeg

I got the point of food overload and not hungry yesterday

Iain had the Ceviche and lobsters 🦞 He said best lobster he has had in a long time v

I was in the mood for comfort food and chose something I never noticed on menu.  The Mushroom Pot Pie.   Incredible!!!

IMG_3070.thumb.jpeg.d3b9d13c30ed3d59675ed3e1f7edd3c3.jpeg

IMG_3071.thumb.jpeg.24f524c89407ced0bfd401dd1990c5f3.jpeg

IMG_3072.thumb.jpeg.031eff2ac089d665bd5cc6121331269c.jpeg

I saw the mushroom pot pie and it looks good. I will have to try it on Summit. We board in 2 weeks and I am so excited.

Laura

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry didn’t feel it would improve by going outside in the 50 F misty smir.  

Goodness. I really need to pack more warmer clothing than usual for my TransAtlantic at the end of the month.  You’ve certainly had your share of waves and weather for your TA!

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -

I am really setup on menus.    I was gifted a complete set of the 14 day rotation of the Luminae Dinner and Desert Menu and the 5 day lunch menu rotation.

Can't wait for you to share those menus @Jim_Iain as we all know the X app isn't great until boarding day.

49 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Can't wait for you to share those menus @Jim_Iain as we all know the X app isn't great until boarding day.

I think he did post them very early in this tread. I know I have seen a post by him with them somewhere on Cc. 

• Like 1

Jim,  Here is an example of why you need to change your mind about okra.  This is one of the best appetizers on the MDR menu.

Spicy Louisiana Gumbo

IMG_9309.thumb.jpeg.8b2a60dc032826ba81b860513edcd07c.jpeg

I confess that I usually order two servinhs anf five gallons to go.

• Like 3

May 2 

Land Hooooo.    After 6 days at sea awoke to quiet an ZERO ship movement.  

Unusual for me I didn’t awaken until 9:00

Flung back the curtains 

IMG_3116.thumb.jpeg.4c618d83407fb9a01a8ed5a318aa8b8e.jpeg

IMG_3117.thumb.jpeg.64ad99a47bd91b65a5c82ee8745cf0e6.jpeg

IMG_3118.thumb.jpeg.cf4ab3a70959406acfaa69ee580b7d77.jpeg

• Like 16

Enjoy Cobh, we have been x3.IMG_1533.thumb.jpeg.62b0b32d5c14f35278e6bfd4fb40ec66.jpeg

Particularly colourful houses which look good with the blue sky behind them.

The church has a memorial to the Titanic, as it was the last port of call before the fateful journey across the Atlantic on 11/04/1912.

IMG_0771.thumb.jpeg.e71154bcd7e2db7b0b916e4d6491a1fe.jpeg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, ProfMHC said:

I love how they publish the menus. Jumped down to Blu for prime rib tonight.IMG_6821.thumb.jpeg.38e898fffa4bc39809ce4fcee6ce46a1.jpeg

Looks perfect

. We did not know they offered Prime Rib at BLU..We usually try the MDR on Prime Rib night.  Hope they have it on Ascent !  (not big on beef but on a cruise we indulge!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Which is why for us, the two times we've traveled in Retreat Class, we never went to Luminae for Lunch. For us the lunch menus at Luminae are too similar to the dinner menus in that it's a more elaborate meal than we want for lunch. That's why we enjoy the buffet for lunch which allows us to customize what we want for lunch to a degree that's not possible even at Luminae. 

We are light eaters and have never wanted for anything at lunch.    At home I usually have a bowl of Oatmeal..... Laugh.... that's how I diet.    I'm going to be eating a lot of oatmeal when I get home for sure.   I'm definitely not loosing weight.    We have been told that anything we would like on the ship given 24 hours notice they will accommodate. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Of course I'm reading this.  Wouldn't miss one of Jim's trip reports.

Yes, I did have one booked--Iceland/Greenland.  Booked a long time ago.  As my knees got worse, I decided to cancel and get them fixed instead.  Beware, Explora has a $200 cancelation penalty.

Linda --- you are so quiet I didn't realize you were here and thought you were out cruises.  

Always love you Icon -   with a big smile.   Always cheers me up. 

I think you made the right decision.   I hope your knee works out well. 

I can't remember if I posted this tid-bit before we started this journey seems so long ago.

As we were getting ready to leave i tripped over the suite cases and took a spill.   I used some parachute training  and rolled into the fall..... Iain of course yelled oh my God  are you ok as I was sprawled out down two steps in the living room.  

I laughed and said of course I'm OK... .was just trying to see if I could give you a heart attack so I could collect on you Life Insurance... He reminded me that double indemnity retired when he did.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We sometimes split a burger for lunch in Luminae, but we like going to the OV to sit outside.  I suspect with the current weather and the number of people on board, the OV would be very crowded.  We would probably have lunch in Luminae more often on this cruise.  We almost always enjoy breakfast at Luminae, but we are early risers.  Jim has a much different schedule than us. 

We do have a strange schedule.   We have been out all day and have not had lunch at 3:30 so hitting Retreat for Afternoon - Tea.    A couple finger sandwiches, Scones and Clotted Cream and a sweet will be perfect.... not sure Iain will get his nap today.

• Like 4