New legal language from Celebrity?

chamima

19 minutes ago, In Toronto said:

We have not received this email - We leave for a B2B in 3 days.  They seem to have forgotten us.  We are in Canada.  Does that make a difference?

No.  You will have the "opportunity " to review them at boarding unless you get the email.  You either accept or don't cruise.

8 minutes ago, Glendakayself said:

I tried to click to acknowledge receipt, and it said my time to respond to it notification had expired. Guess we will be asked to sign a document in the port.

I received the same message when I clicked. However, I then received a 2nd email and clicking on the link worked that time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I got the e-mail, clicked on the link, and it said nothing about Covid.  Perhaps at some point, Celebrity will see fit to release all the new terms and conditions.  I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

You have to go to a link in the email snd select your country of residence. Then you get very lengthy terms and conditions 

Edited by Midpacpl

6 minutes ago, capsplace said:

Never received any email and we have 6 cruises sailing after April 12, 2023.  What should we do?

Click here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/guest-terms/

Select US and English and look for the ALLCAPS sections, which are the changes. My email had no acknowledgement link. I assume they use silence procedure; silence is agreement, cancellation is disagreement. There are no other options.

• Like 1

Just now, markeb said:

Click here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/guest-terms/

Select US and English and look for the ALLCAPS sections, which are the changes. My email had no acknowledgement link. I assume they use silence procedure; silence is agreement, cancellation is disagreement. There are no other options.

Thx.  I read the terms via a link in an earlier post, but, as you noted, there’s no way to acknowledge receipt.  Celebrity IT at its best 😕

9 hours ago, Basketball wife said:

Section 10 in both the US and Canadian contract states:

“ALL DISPUTES… (INCLUDING A CLAIM FOR PERSONAL INJURY, ILLNESS OR DEATH OF A PASSENGER) SHALL BE LITIGATED… IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHER COURTS OR TRIBUNALS. PASSENGER HEREBY CONSENTS TO JURISDICTION AND WAIVES ANY VENUE OR OTHER OBJECTION THAT PASSENGER MAY HAVE TO ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING BEING BROUGHT IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES.”

Anyone know why England?? Company registration??

Different story in Australia as I understand it. 

These Booking Conditions are governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia and any claims or disputes must be resolved by alternative dispute resolution or under the laws and exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Australia.

No room service charges except between 11.00pm and 6.00am. 

The “normal cancellation policy applies” if you cancel your select dining booking if your selected time isn’t available even if this time was confirmed at the time of booking. Huh?

11 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I think it might be an attempt to stop those who are not actually US residents from taking advantage of the more liberal repricing policies in the US.

UK residents have often been happy to be subject to the US T&Cs since they cannot reprice UK bookings when prices fall...

This change would make it pointless for non-US residents to use a US TA in most cases.

This was my first thought.. :classic_sad:

11 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Damn annoying. I have booked on Millie for May '24 via a US T/A, because US cruisers get better pricing, more OBC, more flexibility etc. - USA passenger policies are MORE user friendly, not less.

Agree, local pricing here in The Netherlands is much higher and I could care less about the EU rights in our current position. The EU protection might be useful to others though!

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Except if on a UK booking you miss anything you are compensated.  Understand the others are more restrictive.So did you give a UK address or US?

This is where the international discussion of this thread gets interesting; we have always gave our NL address when booking with our online USA travel agent. I guess I will be doing mock bookings the next hour to see if "we" still get the benefits (OBC, lower pricing) of an USA contract, but with NL residency. Perhaps our favourite website won't even let us make a booking when we reach the residence/address part? Will report back! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Except if on a UK booking you miss anything you are compensated.  Understand the others are more restrictive.So did you give a UK address or US?

My UK address was provided to the TA, quite what they fed to Celebrity I'm not sure.

It seems I still get the same pricing/offers on my TA's website with the US and NL residency. Not sure how it will work out when completing the booking..

I still hope and like to thinks this is for legal reasons and not to discourage or even prevent international customers from booking overseas, in reality how small is that group and perhaps X would even lose on it with those folks not taking a cruise but alternative vacations instead. It does not fit a business in need or search for revenue after a global pandemic.

I for example certainly won't book with a Dutch agency with their ridiculous pricing unless it's competitive or a special sailing, gave up on them years ago. I embrace the "buy local" but there is nothing local to the actual product from an online only travel agency  in The Netherlands. They use the same booking engine, they have no representation on shore, you deal with the same check in staff/crew/ship and with a different timezone they probably will be asleep when you need any last minute assistance on the dock. No thanks to contributing to their high(er) margins for that. :classic_biggrin: End of rant.. :classic_blush:

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

My UK address was provided to the TA, quite what they fed to Celebrity I'm not sure.

We’ve always provided our U.K. address and have been booking in the US for around 14 years; X (and other lines) were well aware of where we were located from all of our correspondence. Saying that, we’ve booked next year’s cruise over here as the package costs were slightly better and our travel insurance now stipulates that vacations must be booked here to qualify for any claims (something that hadn’t been the case pre-COVID). Obviously, we could purchase alternative insurance (currently free), but then those costs would have to be added to the total holiday costing when comparing where to book. From past experience, it tends to be the Caribbean itineraries where we’ve got the most price drops.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

Different story in Australia as I understand it. 

These Booking Conditions are governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia and any claims or disputes must be resolved by alternative dispute resolution or under the laws and exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Australia.

No room service charges except between 11.00pm and 6.00am. 

The “normal cancellation policy applies” if you cancel your select dining booking if your selected time isn’t available even if this time was confirmed at the time of booking. Huh?

Huh? indeed 🤔

14 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don't think so, it affects my October 2023 cruise on the Edge.  They sent me a note to confirm that I acknowledge the changes.   I wonder what happens if I don't acknowledge the change.

????

12 hours ago, jdj1978 said:

The wording of their email is confusing...the first sentence implies the new rules apply based on departure date:

"Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise."

And the last line implies the new rules are based on the "booking" date:

"No action is required on your part, but if you wish to view the changes that are now applicable to all guests booked on or after April 12, 2023, they’re available to you, here:"

I am not impressed that Celebrity would change their Covid (Worry-Free) policy for our sailing that we booked 10 months ago.  We made our decision to cruise with them based on their Covid Worry-Free policy, and framed our travel insurance around it...yeesh! 

So which is it?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

although I've not heard of anyone being put off for covid either.

Neither have I. I have read reports of people who tested positive for Covid being confined to their cabin. If this is no longer the procedure and being put off the ship in the next port has taken its place, I believe people will stop self reporting.  Additionally, I’m sure the cruise lines were waiting for the Covid emergency to be declare “over” which it was recently, allowing them grounds to update their policies. 

13 hours ago, markeb said:

But it would apply to a US purchased cruise that does not include a US stop (Section 10(a) and the definitions).

Yes, such as a European cruise or a cruise from Vancouver that goes to Japan. I was just wondering why English courts have been chosen over the US…

17 hours ago, d9704011 said:

That's because fhey figure you'll delete the first couple without pressing on the acknowledgement link.

i only received 1 email and by the time I got home with time to read it and clicked the link to acknowledge receipt it said the time to respond to the email had expired! It was 8 PM EDT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Celebrity has had to redo the contract, particularly with Covid due to some passengers refusing to comply, be it quarantine or mask wearing when mandatory.  an example. We were in Vancouver cruise terminal last spring when it very clearly stipulated mask wearing - covering the nose and mouth- was in effect.    We were surprised to see some passengers not comply.    Their masks were pulled down under their chin, or only covered their mouth or totally removed, even after being reminded or asked by staff to wear them properly.    So, for a few people that chose not to follow rules, a contract had to be revised.    That is only one small factor, but many try to get around rules. Cruise lines are protecting themselves from lawsuits from those types

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chamima said:

????

So which is it?

It all seems very straightforward.

1) every booking is now covered by the new conditions regardless of the sail date or the booking date.

2) all bookings will be covered by the booking conditions in the country in which you reside. For this purpose your "residency" is the address shown on your booking form i.e. the address you gave when making your booking. 

8 minutes ago, the penguins said:

It all seems very straightforward.

1) every booking is now covered by the new conditions regardless of the sail date or the booking date.

2) all bookings will be covered by the booking conditions in the country in which you reside. For this purpose your "residency" is the address shown on your booking form i.e. the address you gave when making your booking. 

This is true, but it could change again if Celebrity wants to do something different.  Celebrity can change the contract to whatever it wants whenever it wants.