Do you tip spa team?

NJRonbo

So, this is a trick question.

Certainly, I would tip someone for giving me a massage/spa treatment.

We have two couples' massages scheduled on our upcoming cruise aboard Summit.

However, we are in Aqua Class where all tips are prepaid.   Do the prepaid tips also extend to spa treatments?  I didn't look, but there were extra charges added to the price of the two massages we booked.  Perhaps they also included the tip in there?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

8 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

So, this is a trick question.

Certainly, I would tip someone for giving me a massage/spa treatment.

We have two couples' massages scheduled on our upcoming cruise aboard Summit.

However, we are in Aqua Class where all tips are prepaid.   Do the prepaid tips also extend to spa treatments?  I didn't look, but there were extra charges added to the price of the two massages we booked.  Perhaps they also included the tip in there?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Gratuities for Spa treatments are separate from Aquaclass All Included pricing.

6 minutes ago, didicruiser said:

Gratuity is automatically added to the price of the treatment, 18 or 20%; I’m not sure which amount so no further tip is necessary

Thank you.  I didn't look at the extra charges closely enough but it seemed quite a bit was tacked on between the advertised and final price.  If that means tips were included -- which you just confirmed -- then that's all good.

Thanks for answering the question.

Edited by NJRonbo

Just now, RichYak said:

Prepaid tips only cover your room steward and dining room staff.

Thanks for that clarification.   

And, to further clarify the answer I was given, the tip for the spa personnel is included in the final price.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Thanks for that clarification.   

And, to further clarify the answer I was given, the tip for the spa personnel is included in the final price.

I agree thanks for the tip (no pun intended)

All of that to say they will still give you a bill at the end with another tip line, so be prepared to have them act like you need to fill it out.  We are actually big tippers and would give even more bc I think it’s only 18%, but personally I found the spa services to be a huge disappointment.  I’m okay with inflating prices onboard if it’s good but I was very underwhelmed by both my massage and pedicure.  They seemed to have perfected the art of looking busy without actually being busy. I’ve never had a massage where they spent more time gather different lotions or positioning the sheets so much.  Then went for a pedicure later in the week and they did the exact same thing.  Spent a lot of time moving things around.  I won’t ever waste my time or money again.  If I’m spending that kind of money I will do it at home where I know it will be excellent.  

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Gratuities for Spa treatments are separate from Aquaclass All Included pricing.

Gratuities for Spa treatments are added automatically though, and a whopping 20% at that. I'd not give any further tip when 20% was already added to their rather obscene prices.

6 hours ago, chimchimtx said:

All of that to say they will still give you a bill at the end with another tip line, so be prepared to have them act like you need to fill it out.  We are actually big tippers and would give even more bc I think it’s only 18%, but personally I found the spa services to be a huge disappointment.  I’m okay with inflating prices onboard if it’s good but I was very underwhelmed by both my massage and pedicure.  They seemed to have perfected the art of looking busy without actually being busy. I’ve never had a massage where they spent more time gather different lotions or positioning the sheets so much.  Then went for a pedicure later in the week and they did the exact same thing.  Spent a lot of time moving things around.  I won’t ever waste my time or money again.  If I’m spending that kind of money I will do it at home where I know it will be excellent.  

Absolutely agree.  I get a pedicure every 2-3 weeks and a massage every month at home.  I have never seen so much time wasted with talking prior, gathering supplies, filling the water for pedicure.  I had 2 massages 1 in 2009 and 1 2021 plus 1 pedicure 2022 and all were the same.  The pedicure assistant actually stopped to look for a special 1 oz $90 cream to revitalize my feet.  Good thing tip was included for her sake.  I stick with my go to people at home who know the meaning of a 60 minute massage or a 30 minute spa pedicure.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

I agree but gosh the staff make you feel bad if you don’t tip extra! So i invariably do add a $ or so. 

You guilt is exactly what they are counting on!  We use the Spa and 20% tip is a generous one so we don't tip more.

• Haha 1

I've never had a spa treatment on Celebrity but I think tipping would be my practice just as it is at home for salon treatments like hair or mani-pedi.

Edit to say that I wouldn't tip above the included 20% as OP mentioned.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've never had a spa treatment on Celebrity but I think tipping would be my practice just as it is at home for salon treatments like hair or mani-pedi.

Yes, absolutely. There is no argument tipping is a must. The original question was whether the tip is included in the price, which it is, and as such, no additional tip is required.

Just now, NJRonbo said:

Yes, absolutely. There is no argument tipping is a must. The original question was whether the tip is included in the price, which it is, and as such, no additional tip is required.

Yes, sorry...I didn't read the whole thread before responding..I've edited my response based on the 20%.  No way I'm tipping above that.

I'll just chime in and say that I also do not tip more than what's already added on.  That's plenty.

I'll also add that I've had much more positive experiences with massages on X ships, and I've probably had 15 massages on 4 different ships since the restart (there's been a lot of OBC going around).  I've not felt any pressure to add an extra tip, nor have I been pressured to buy anything.  I've also been very happy with the massages I've received, and I cannot recall anyone just shuffling around and wasting time. 

we have enjoyed the spa treatments on E class ships.. diff entity than Canyon Ranch.

CR was disappointing on other ships and we did not like the products as much as Elemis..but they had nice workout clothes for sale

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does the price on the planner include the tip or is it addition to that? Am I smart to wait until boarding to book in the hopes of getting a better price at a better time?

The list price does not include the tip, but it will be added while checking out (so you will see the full price before you pay).

Onboard spa discounts aren't unheard of at all, but the problem is that slots can be booked up once on board.  Obviously, port days are less busy than sea days, and it also seems like more slots are open later in a cruise.  You also don't really know what the discount will be for--it's not always a blanket discount and can be more targeted.

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

The list price does not include the tip, but it will be added while checking out (so you will see the full price before you pay).

Onboard spa discounts aren't unheard of at all, but the problem is that slots can be booked up once on board.  Obviously, port days are less busy than sea days, and it also seems like more slots are open later in a cruise.  You also don't really know what the discount will be for--it's not always a blanket discount and can be more targeted.

Just an opinion...

I would nab a slot pre-cruise for the discount as I don't think the prices will be as low once boarded.

Once you do board, if you can't find an equivalent price or a time slot you want, at least you already have a discount appointment booked.