LIVE from Radiance Apr. 21, 2023 - The Panama Canal - Canal au Niveau de la Mer

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Would love to see any pictures online of when they were digging out the new locks before opening them up to water. Wonder if there is anywhere. That would be amazing to see.

The equipment they used compared to how they dug out the old locks would be a major, major difference.

Check Youtube for Canal Expansion full length videos.

• Thanks 1

We did a full transit in 2013 on Infinity.  Day after the transit in Colon we did an excursion to the Gatun Locks (there was a visitors center and observation deck that no longer exists) and the expansion visitors center.  I had little idea what we were looking at, though I do now, having dona a full transit through the new locks a few years later.

this is distant view of construction at Agua Clara

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

These are from the visitors center, looking down on what will be Agua Clara

Looking out to Gatun Lake

Looking across at Gatun Locks

Last one.  You can heave a sigh of relief.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

One thing to note about Radiance and a canal transit.   They block access to the outdoor promenade aft deck 5 area. 

These bollards  or whatever is the proper name on the sides near the aft were used for the steel cables from the mules.  There was a lot of worn paint chips and bare metal showing so they would be a hazzard to guests.  I'm assuming a lot of tension is on the cables so a safety risk. 

20230428_172409.thumb.jpg.9ec24e0a3f22a148d84239ad777a2fd5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you twangster, great job documenting your transit.  The only thing that could have been better would have been if I was there taking the pictures.  Think you have proved how much there is to see when you move around the ship.  Well done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Would love to see any pictures online of when they were digging out the new locks before opening them up to water. Wonder if there is anywhere. That would be amazing to see.

The equipment they used compared to how they dug out the old locks would be a major, major difference.

There was a major difference in the equipment used to excavate the new locks.  I think you would be underwhelmed, for one they did not need nearly as much equipment or as large equipment for the excavation, they did not use spoil trains as was done when the Gaillard Cut was excavated.  Also you have to consider a great deal of the excavation of the third locks started in 1939 and continued until 1942 when the project was suspended on account of WW2.

On the Atlantic side the Agua Clara Locks sit on exactly the same excavation that was completed at that time with the Water Saving Basins being new excavations.  Meanwhile on the Pacific side's Cocoli Locks the original excavation footprint is where the Water Saving Basins are located and further excavations for the lock chambers were dug just to the west of the WSBs.  A large part of the excavation had been completed before Panama made the decision to complete the third set of locks in 2007.

Essiesmom has provided a nice collection of the construction of the new locks.  By comparison the new locks envisioned in 1939 were to be 1200'x135' while the new locks as constructed are 1400'x180'.  The original locks can accommodate vessels 965'x106' and the new locks can take vessels 1215'x167'.  There are plans underway to increase the beam limit to 173'.  

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the information and pictures of the Panama crossing and local excursions.  I am doing this again in Jan 2024 and I consider this thread as part of the research and a memory refresher   

I crossed on the Disney Magic in 2008 and it is now so different with a larger ship (NCL Bliss), the new locks and an overnight in Panama.  When we went thru we were right behind a nuclear sub (amazing to follow that all day) and our bow decks were completely filled by 5am.  Some people camped out all night. The Mouse had a continental breakfast on deck for the early birds and a bbq on deck for lunch.   It was only the second year a Disney ship had crossed so even the crew was excited and running out on deck whenever they had a break.  The locals all came out to cheer us through as well.  Your decks look down right empty compared the that day.

Thanks again.

Edited by frosty52
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, twangster said:

One thing to note about Radiance and a canal transit.   They block access to the outdoor promenade aft deck 5 area. 

These bollards  or whatever is the proper name on the sides near the aft were used for the steel cables from the mules.  There was a lot of worn paint chips and bare metal showing so they would be a hazzard to guests.  I'm assuming a lot of tension is on the cables so a safety risk. 

20230428_172409.thumb.jpg.9ec24e0a3f22a148d84239ad777a2fd5.jpg

When did Full Canal on Serenade last Fall was watching the Mules almost constantly adjusting Tension in/out on the Cables. Thought same, though rare it might snap... Took us lot longer get threw end to end then you did today, was pitch Black when we got done and we started hrs earlier in am. Funny thing I mentioned before was only 13 days from LA to Tampa and we adjusted Clocks 8 times! This for Time Zones and to match Port Stops. When Radiance returns San Diego to Tampa this Oct it's longer at 16nites for us but only 5 Port stops

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Panama City

20230428_171345.thumb.jpg.aa8aeb222c9e5e024460ab1cd2d28593.jpg

In case anyone is wondering what that building with the multi-color roof is, it is a Frank Gehry designed biodiversity museum.  It was still under construction when we were there in 2014.

IMG_6081.jpeg.664cc2f542d07a00c766c7eebb328ac9.jpeg

• Like 4

Starlink report:

image.thumb.png.edf5748d140322e2da27cb422b1e4700.png

Our Starlink gateway city at this moment appears to be Bogotá, Columbia.

image.thumb.png.95b943617c563c077a4e49c91977d517.png

My email app is promoting me to re-enter my passwords.  I guess it is concerned I popped up in Columbia unexpectedly.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5