LIVE from Radiance Apr. 21, 2023 - The Panama Canal - Canal au Niveau de la Mer

I will be joining @twangster on this trip and have different excursions booked so it might be fun to compare, Gand Cayman stingrays and starfish, Columbia, we are touring independently with Dora, Colon, we are going to Panama city and the locks, same idea as twangster also want to see the locks from land, Huatulco, we will walk around on our own, PV, the tour of the city and fiesta.

We have been looking forward to this cruise for so long, so excited we are so close.

We have a five nigh dining package, chef dinner and taste of Royal lunch.  No drink package.  and staying in a balcony.  Hoping that the Wi-fi is Ok might need to work at some times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clochette said:

I will be joining @twangster on this trip and have different excursions booked so it might be fun to compare, Gand Cayman stingrays and starfish, Columbia, we are touring independently with Dora, Colon, we are going to Panama city and the locks, same idea as twangster also want to see the locks from land, Huatulco, we will walk around on our own, PV, the tour of the city and fiesta.

We have been looking forward to this cruise for so long, so excited we are so close.

We have a five nigh dining package, chef dinner and taste of Royal lunch.  No drink package.  and staying in a balcony.  Hoping that the Wi-fi is Ok might need to work at some times.

We did the 10nt Radiance on 2/27 to Cartagena & Colon and Loved our Dora tour.  We were in Dora group 1 so actually had her as our tour guide for the day and she was wonderful!  There were 10 in our group which made it nice, we also had a driver and another guide that would follow behind and help to keep us all together.  We would love to go back to Cartagena and spend the day in the old town.  In Colon we wished we would have done the locks and city tour as we heard great things about it that evening back on the ship.  We did the Eco Cruise on Gatun Lake was just so so and would not do it again.  Enjoy your cruise and I look forward to following along with everyones adventures!  We would have loved to be on this sailing but could not make it work.

• Like 2

Take care of the old girl.  I sailed on her when she was just a young chick ... pre-maiden voyage March 26-29, 2001 (RT Miami to Nassau).  Beautiful ship. 

I had planned to sail on her again in May 2021 to Alaska for her 20 year anniversary ... but the world had a different plan.

4 hours ago, clochette said:

I’m also on this trip and am looking forward to reading @twangster’s posts.  

@clochette, I’m also booked with Dora in Cartagena.  Perhaps we’ll be in the same group.

it won’t be long now!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, twangster said:

IThey don't offer the UDP dining package on long voyages like this so I picked a 10 night dining plan.  Between a few nights in the MDR and a few nights in the Windjammer the 10 night dining plan was a splurge since I saved quite a bit booking an interior at the last minute.   

I had bought two 5 night pkgs but when I saw the 10 night I jumped on it.  Much cheaper than the two 5's.

Edited by Razl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

@twangster Looking forward to following your adventures. The Panama Canal is on our bucket list. I’m also interested in hearing about your experience with Radiance. Have a fantastic time.

This is my favorite class Greg.  I think you and Linda would like her too.  Doesn't have as many dining options but the ships are very friendly and intimate. I am looking forward to being back on board her next week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I booked it through Royal.

Amazing Cartagena Bay and Walled City

We did this tour and really enjoyed it.   Beautiful architecture in old walled city.   

My only complaint was the relentless street peddlars that try to sell you shirts, etc while walking along and trying to listen to your tour guide.

I bought home several bags of various coffees from a small Cafe.   Unfortunately, unable to order online and have them ship to US.

Enjoy.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We did this tour and really enjoyed it.   Beautiful architecture in old walled city.   

My only complaint was the relentless street peddlars that try to sell you shirts, etc while walking along and trying to listen to your tour guide.

I bought home several bags of various coffees from a small Cafe.   Unfortunately, unable to order online and have them ship to US.

Enjoy.

Coffee is on my mind this trip as well.  Last time I had to dust off the old Bodum french press then switched back to the pods once my "souvenir" Columbian coffee ran out.  It's on my list for this trip.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

Coffee is on my mind this trip as well.  Last time I had to dust off the old Bodum french press then switched back to the pods once my "souvenir" Columbian coffee ran out.  It's on my list for this trip.  

While we waited for everyone to come back to the tour bus a guy boarded the bus and sold coffee out of his backpack. Had samples for us to smell. Prices were confusing but I think 1 for $15, 2 for $20 or $25, etc. He had different kinds. I wondered if he bribed our bus driver as I was surprised he boarded the bus to sell us coffee while all the other peddlers were outside the bus. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

While we waited for everyone to come back to the tour bus a guy boarded the bus and sold coffee out of his backpack. Had samples for us to smell. Prices were confusing but I think 1 for $15, 2 for $20 or $25, etc. He had different kinds. I wondered if he bribed our bus driver as I was surprised he boarded the bus to sell us coffee while all the other peddlers were outside the bus. 

Probably a bribe or some other arraignment.  Smart business tactic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Razl said:

I had bought two 5 night pkgs but when I saw the 10 night I jumped on it.  Much cheaper than the two 5's.

Curious what your price was for the 10 Night UDP,  For our 14 night on Jewel this September the price is $297.00 per person.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm solo on this cruise and I chose an interior cabin.  I'm fine with interior cabins and will use the money saved for excursions, dining, tips and some play money.  I've submitted some low RoyalUp bids but I'm not expecting anything to come from that.  

They don't offer the UDP dining package on long voyages like this so I picked a 10 night dining plan.  Between a few nights in the MDR and a few nights in the Windjammer the 10 night dining plan was a splurge since I saved quite a bit booking an interior at the last minute.   

Radiance still has Samba Grill and I know it won't be around for long so this is my farewell Samba approach.  I'll do a couple night in there with the rest split between Chops and Giovanni's.

I also purchased the 10 night dining package and always enjoy the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Curious what your price was for the 10 Night UDP,  For our 14 night on Jewel this September the price is $297.00 per person.

$266.99 all in.  

I've seen reports of other cruisers on other ships as low as $240.  I think they look at the options on board a particular ship and adjust the pricing.  Radiance has decent options IMO.    Izumi, Chops, Giovanni's and Samba (for now). 

On a 15 night cruise I think a 10 night package is a nice balance.  I'd probably have a hard time eating 15 nights in specialty but 10 is manageable.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm solo on this cruise and I chose an interior cabin.  I'm fine with interior cabins and will use the money saved for excursions, dining, tips and some play money.  I've submitted some low RoyalUp bids but I'm not expecting anything to come from that.  

They don't offer the UDP dining package on long voyages like this so I picked a 10 night dining plan.  Between a few nights in the MDR and a few nights in the Windjammer the 10 night dining plan was a splurge since I saved quite a bit booking an interior at the last minute.   

Radiance still has Samba Grill and I know it won't be around for long so this is my farewell Samba approach.  I'll do a couple night in there with the rest split between Chops and Giovanni's.

sad to hear about Samba.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

sad to hear about Samba.  

On the Allure crossing in 2020 they had a Pinnacle dinner in Samba sort of as a farewell.  Three years later Samba lives!   As a meat and potatoes guy I am looking forward to Samba once more.   

• Like 4

Below is a brief timelapse from Vision going through the MiraFlores locks in 2019.   We are going the other direction on Radiance.  

I'm still deciding what camera gear to take with me for this cruise.  I'm currently thinking of traveling light and using my cell phone for most content I'll post in this live report.  That will help keeping it live.  

The helipad on Radiance will be a nice upgrade from Vision but I'm expecting it will be packed, at least for the Gatun locks.

I really want to move around the ship more this time going through the locks.  The deck 5 sides being so incredibly close to the "mules" and the activity of the locks is one area where I plan to spend more time than I did on Vision.  In retrospect it felt like people camped out on forward facing position which is understandable yet you miss so much parking in one spot for so long.  This time through the locks will be about seeing it from all sides so I'll be moving around a lot. 

The only thing I'm using my cabin for will be recharging batteries.  

• Like 4