Caribbean Princess Smell

Dreamcruiser185

My wife and I were on the Sky Princess last month,  we loved it.  The ship was spectacular and the employees were great.  We booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess for next March.  Reading many reviews, many people have stated that was a sewage smell on the ship.  Where on the ship is this smell?  Should we cancel this cruise and look for another ship?

• Like 1

Wayyyyy back in 2005 when she was new, and I sailed her, there was a sewage smell in an area of the ship. I don’t remember where it was; I just remember not enjoying walking through that area. A sewage smell can be found on many ships, though, and not just on Princess. I haven’t experienced it on any Royal class ships, however. 

Don’t let it stop you from going on the Caribbean, though. 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

2 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Wayyyyy back in 2005 when she was new, and I sailed her, there was a sewage smell in an area of the ship. I don’t remember where it was; I just remember not enjoying walking through that area. A sewage smell can be found on many ships, though, and not just on Princess. I haven’t experienced it on any Royal class ships, however. 

Starboard side forward by the door to promenade.

Edited by d9704011

I sailed on the Caribbean Princess in March this year and don't recall any sewage odor. I brought a car air freshener (the kind some people hang on the mirror) and hung it on my tv stand for a light vanilla scent since I was in an inside cabin and didn't have fresh outside air.

1 hour ago, Dreamcruiser185 said:

My wife and I were on the Sky Princess last month,  we loved it.  The ship was spectacular and the employees were great.  We booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess for next March.  Reading many reviews, many people have stated that was a sewage smell on the ship.  Where on the ship is this smell?  Should we cancel this cruise and look for another ship?

Ignore old posts.  Check current sailings since the drydock earlier last year.

We did 6 weeks last Feb/Mar and only smell we noticed mid ship Caribe deck, near the elevator. Was supposed to be fixed in dry dock from what I heard.

Many ships have issues periodically due to people trying to flush items or not using ship toilet paper.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've experienced the sewage smell on a couple of ships in the distant past.  Many, many years ago on the Golden Princess.  Caught the smell in the elevator lobby near the entry to the theater.  And then years after that on the Star Princess, same location, elevator lobby near the entry to the theater.  I suspect a combination of age, and a design flaw in sewage holding tank venting that was causing the issue.  Difficult to know if it was bad ventilation, a problem with sewage holding and treatment, an aging sewage system, or ventilation to the outside which was being sucked back inside by a fresh air inlet placed too close to a sewage vent.  Note that the Golden and Star were nearly identical sisters and very close in age.  Both ships have been transferred to P&O Australia and sail under different names now.

"Sewer odors" are typically caused by a floor drain trap drying out due to dry AC air and little to no water getting into the drain to renew the trap water.  If the smell is in your cabin bathroom, there is a floor drain (outside the shower), that handles overflows, so typically sees little water into it.  Pour a glass of water down the drain (frequently found under the wall mounted toilet), and the smell will disappear in a couple of minutes.  The same happens in public spaces, frequently when there are "mechanical lockers" around, that will also have drains for emergencies, but that don't see water flowing on a regular basis, and the trap dries out.  When you notice it, tell the housekeeping crew, and they will do the same thing, just pour some water down the drain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

We have notice from time to time, the odor of sewage in certain areas of the ship on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess.

I believe it is from the ship having to hold and store sewage.  They no longer have the ability to simply dump it at sea.  Sometimes, one will notice it when the ship is in dock and a barge is next to it, pumping out the sewage. 

Just off the Caribbean Princess on Saturday.  There was a broken pipe near a public rest room on deck 6 and there was a sewage smell from that, but it was resolved quickly.  Overall nothing unusual.

30 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We have notice from time to time, the odor of sewage in certain areas of the ship on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess.

I believe it is from the ship having to hold and store sewage.  They no longer have the ability to simply dump it at sea.  Sometimes, one will notice it when the ship is in dock and a barge is next to it, pumping out the sewage. 

Ships have not been allowed to pump sewage overboard for 40 years.  I don't know of any ship that pumps sewage to a barge, they all have treatment plants onboard that treat the sewage to legal limits and then pump it to sea.  In fact, most cruise ships have advanced waste water treatment plants that treat all the waste water (black and gray water) to near drinking quality before discharging at sea.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

The barge you see is pumping fuel into the ships fuel storage tanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Please strive to be accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, on CP April 1 sailing and we did smell the sewage smell, mainly on the promenade and once or twice on our 10th deck balcony, starboard side. It was occasional, not everyday and a whiff more than a constant smell.

As for dumping at sea, it just happens that the CP was caught dumping bilge water in its early years, which led to big fines for Carnival. The cruise industry has been cleaning up their act for a while, but with capital cost of ships with 30+ year lifespans takes time. The CP still burns that filthy bunker fuel which leaves a smoke trail for miles above its wake. Next gen ships are spouting off about liquid natural gas, but these bunker burners will be with us another 20+ years.

I should add that the smell didn't deter us from having a good time, and wouldn't prevent me from sailing the CP again.

Edited by DCwom
Add

Over the many years we have been traveling  we have smelled  the sewage odor on  every Grand Class ship we have sailed on.   Usually in the hallways.  Not in the staterooms.   It goes and comes for short periods of time.   Now that I think about it have not smelled the odor on any of the Royal Class ships we have been on.    Part of cruising. 🙂