Help me decide between these two cruises, please!

allimaree

Hi! I'm taking my sister-in-law on her first cruise and we are booking a last minute, one-way, west coast cruise at a great deal. Trying to decide between these two options (price is close enough to not be a deciding factor).

Option 1: Crown Princess

Positive: 6 nights with an extra port day in Astoria, OR

Negative: Older ship, the only rooms available are fully obstructed ocean views (deck 8, lifeboats) or interior.

Option 2: Majestic Princess

Positive: newer ship, balcony room

Negative: 5 nights, no stop in Oregon

Has anyone ever done these west coast cruises? How close is the ship to shore? Will the balcony even matter that much (although the room is bigger, which is nice)? Are there any interior rooms that are better than others on the Crown Princess? I'd like my sister-in-law to have a good experience for her first cruise!

Edited by allimaree

7 minutes ago, coco2/27 said:

I would take any balcony room over one without a balcony, in a heartbeat.  Also, our last cruise that was supposed to stop in Astoria ended up having that port cancelled!

Thanks! I'm leaning that way too. Any idea why the port day was cancelled? 

We don't know what is important to you. You comment that the Majestic is a newer ship and it is. But in the opinion of many, the Royal Class ships are not better than the Crown Class. 

The Majestic has Asian themed eateries, which might be to your liking. The Crown's dining is more representative of other Princess ships.

If you like to view scenery from the Promenade, or Skywalkers, then the Crown is best. If you go the Majestic, get a balcony because those were not included in the build.

The Royal class, including the Majestic, have fantastic buffets; they're food barges. The Crown is about cruising in the traditional sense.

We really liked Astoria. Would you? Look, at the excursions.

Look up the public site of Cruisedeckplans.com in the Princess section for Obstructed View Cabins. Find a cabin with a good view.

30 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Post the itinerary please.

DON

Option 1: Crown Princess, interior room

Saturday, April 29  Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA   3:00pm
Sunday, April 30  At Sea    
Monday, May 1  San Francisco, CA 8:00am 10:00pm
Tuesday, May 2  At Sea    
Wednesday, May 3  Astoria, OR 8:00am 6:00pm
Thursday, May 4  Victoria, BC, Canada 9:00am 10:00pm
Friday, May 5  Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am

Option 2: Majestic Princess, balcony room

Sunday, April 30  Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA   4:00pm
Monday, May 1  At Sea    
Tuesday, May 2  San Francisco, CA 7:00am 5:00pm
Wednesday, May 3  At Sea    
Thursday, May 4  Victoria, BC, Canada 1:00pm 10:00pm
Friday, May 5  Vancouver, BC, Canada 1:00pm

Sailed the Royal last May and just got off the Crown. Excellent staff on the Crown, however the buffet was worse than my 1980's college dorm food. Bad layout and horrible selection. Could've been Astoria was missed due to conditions of the Columbia River Bar.

• Like 1

I would probably take the Crown.  I loved Victoria.  Butchart gardens were beautiful and I'm not sure that you would have the time to visit while on the Majestic.  Also, the arrival time on the Majestic is 1 PM while on the Crown it is 7:30 AM.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

We don't know what is important to you. You comment that the Majestic is a newer ship and it is. But in the opinion of many, the Royal Class ships are not better than the Crown Class. 

The Majestic has Asian themed eateries, which might be to your liking. The Crown's dining is more representative of other Princess ships.

If you like to view scenery from the Promenade, or Skywalkers, then the Crown is best. If you go the Majestic, get a balcony because those were not included in the build.

The Royal class, including the Majestic, have fantastic buffets; they're food barges. The Crown is about cruising in the traditional sense.

We really liked Astoria. Would you? Look, at the excursions.

Look up the public site of Cruisedeckplans.com in the Princess section for Obstructed View Cabins. Find a cabin with a good view.

I'm not sure either, which is why I asked on here. I didn't know if there was something I didn't know or hadn't thought about. Good to know about the Asian eateries--probably not our thing. And I think Astoria looks beautiful so I'm sure we would enjoy it.

I've looked at the cruise deck plans site but the rooms that are available are definitely fully obstructed.

I almost always vote for the longer cruise if price is not a factor.  That extra day means an extra day of relaxation and great meals, and not needing to pack/unpack so quickly. Is the weather warm enough there yet to even really use the balcony?  When I am out on excursions I rarely use my balcony.  The truth is, either choice is better than no choice.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 4

Same price, longer itinerary would be my choice.

check out the obstructed view cabins here

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/ov.php?ship=Crown-Princess&cabins=E101-E121

some are hardly obstructed, might not be able to see to the sides or down, but a good view straight out.  We have stayed in them and they are great.

• Like 1

While I would usually opt for a balcony, in this case I'd go with an OV on Crown, even though it is obstructed.  Primarily because of the itinerary. It gives much better time in each port compared to the other cruise.

• Like 1

Ignoring the fact of the interior cabin the Crown is better.  Better port times.  One more port.  To be frank I am totally unexcited about either cruise based on the itineraries but the Crown is less bad.

DON

• Like 1

Having sailed on both the Crown (3/23) -& the Majestic (1/22) fairly recently, I would prefer the Majestic for the ship...the Crown is fine but she feels a little tired & the buffet is very small & limited where as the Majestic is shinier & the food was really good, we like a balcony but it won't be very warm. 

On the other hand, I would sail either again & Astoria & more time in Victoria would be very nice. More time in SF is a trade off as it would be nice, but sailing out under the Golden Gate Bridge when you can see it is really special too. 

I guess the question is do you want the better onboard experience for her or more shore time? Also if she has not sailed before you might consider location in terms of motion sickness (midship lower will have less motion) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

Having sailed on both the Crown (3/23) -& the Majestic (1/22) fairly recently, I would prefer the Majestic for the ship...the Crown is fine but she feels a little tired & the buffet is very small & limited where as the Majestic is shinier & the food was really good, we like a balcony but it won't be very warm.

I thought with all those sea days on your Hawaii trip you would have the Crown all polished up for us Alaska cruisers 😜

• Like 1

I vote for the Crown Princess:

6 days instead of 5

Longer times in port.

Obstructed OV and balcony are the same size.  Plus the Majestic has teeny tiny balconies.

More public areas on the Crown (Full Promenade)

Less people (at least no tender ports)

Interesting that the Majestic is porting late in Vancouver.  Tides?????  Makes catching flights harder to LAX (later arrival/traffic).

Disclaimer:  I am not a fan of the Royal Class ships.

• Like 2

An extra day to go to Astoria isn’t enough to sway me to sail aboard an older ship in an obstructed or inside cabin. I’d spend the entire cruise beating myself up. 

My vote would be for the nicer ship in a nicer cabin. Majestic Princess 5 night for me. 

• Like 1

If I had to choose between these two, I'd go with the Crown Princess sailing: more time in ports, extra port day, early (normal) arrival in Vancouver. While Majestic Princess is a very pretty ship and has the Enclave Spa...wait! wait! I just changed mind. 🙂

• Like 1

I'd take the longer itinerary and be on the Crown.  Some additional notes about booking cabins to follow.

Astoria is a unique port stop.  Lots of history in the area.  I've perused some of the typical shore excursions they offer for Astoria and they are all excellent.  The Columbia River Maritime museum is excellent, and probably within walking distance of the dock you'll end up tying up at.  The Astoria Column is typically on a few of the excursions and the views from the hilltop it is located on, plus the views from the top of the tower are spectacular, assuming that you aren't fogged in.  There may be an excursion that takes you to Fort Clatsop, which is one of the final points on the journey of Lewis and Clark to the Pacific.  Well worth visiting.  There may also be an excursions that goes to Fort Stevens State Park, which is a Civil War through WWII era coastal battery fort.  Again, plenty of history to absorb.  It is also one of the largest State Parks in the nation, and has one of the largest state park campgrounds I've ever stayed at.  We typically make a week long vacation of taking the RV to Fort Stevens and camping.  It is very popular.  If you want to get your campsite of choice, preferably with full hookups, you have to be online and on the booking web site at midnight 6 months ahead of your first night camping there to get booked.  That is how popular the place is.

The shorter itinerary that doesn't include Astoria is ok, but all the ports are just your typical big city ports, with the exception of Victoria, which has quite a bit of charm in and of itself.

In terms of giving your sister-in-law a good cruise experience, if you believe that ports matter, then the longer cruise on the Crown will probably do fine.  Get the cabin with an obstructed view so you have some sunshine and outside light.  Avoid inside cabins like the plague.  Everyone I've ever known that cruised for the first time and bargain basement priced their cruise by choosing an inside cabin has never been back.  Everyone I know that has had at least a balcony on their first cruise has done more cruises after their first.  I will never cruise with an inside cabin.

The Royal Class ships, like the Majestic are impressive vessels, and very modern.  If you think the size, condition, and grandeur of the ship will matter when trying to make your sister-in-law a cruiser, then the Majestic has a lot more to offer.  The Crown is a beautiful ship, but is from a different era and doesn't really reflect where I think cruise ships their size and scope are going.  Many of us like the older Grand class ships due to their "smaller" size, but that size of ship at Princess I think is a thing of the past.  I bet in another 10 years there will be very few of the Grand sisters left in the fleet.

I recommend finding and talking with an independent travel agent if you are not finding rooms on the Crown Princess sailing that are to your liking.  You might get lucky working through a travel agent.  Travel agents, especially the independent travel agents, have resources and connections which may give them access to cabins which are not on offer on the Princess web site, but may be available to agents.  Just food for thought.

14 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Could've been Astoria was missed due to conditions of the Columbia River Bar.

That is absolutely likely the reason that Astoria was missed or would be missed on any cruise.  Weather conditions make getting over the bar very difficult.  If getting over the bar isn't a sure thing, or if the Columbia River Pilots advise against it, they will cancel the port stop.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help! We went with the longer cruise on the Crown Princess and were able to get a OF guarantee room which has the possibility of not being obstructed. The only ocean view rooms we could have picked were in lower categories and were almost 100% obstructed when verified on cruisedeckplans. It really came down to the longer times in port plus the extra stop in Astoria. 

• Like 4

Astoria is my favorite port - I think you will enjoy it, rain or shine.  Lots of great breweries and eateries, interesting topography, ship watching, and don't forget to hike up to the Astoria Column.  We moved from Colorado to Oregon a few years ago (partially because of cities like Astoria) and I make the drive there for day trips a few times per year.  But I'll still happily cruise there because sailing over the bar is a unique experience in itself.

Plenty of history if you are interested - at one time early in its history, Astoria was on trajectory to be the biggest west coast city.  Check this book out if you'd like to read about it.  https://amzn.to/41IBExY

• Like 1