No Email - but upgrade offer in Booking - Carnival really wants my room!

wemjam

So we are booked in 1003 on the Conquest in a few months.  Going to try this corner room (new type room for us), seen some pics and decent reviews on CC and thought we'd give it a shot.  Was only a couple bucks more than an normal inside room we were looking at on same deck 10.

Funny thing is like 3 different times over the last 6 weeks I have logged into my booking and a "new" upgrade offer was there.  All three times I denied it.  They are trying to get me to give this room up for a deck 2 OV.  They must really want this room if they have tried 3 times.  Still have a couple months to go, maybe they will come up with a better offer on a balcony lol!

Anyhow, this is a first.  Every other upgrade offer I have ever received, I get an email letting me know there is an offer.  Not one of these 3 times did they send an email. I just stumbled across it in my booking.  So, I would advise everyone to check your bookings periodically for offers as they aren't always emailing. 😁

Personal experience on upgrades.  If we book a balcony or higher (which we usually do) we don't get offers (once or twice we were offered suites, but few and far between).  Seems like inside is where we get the most offers.  We don't book inside often, only on short cruises and on what we call our down and dirty trips - short 3 dayers pretty much as cheap as possible!

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

So we are booked in 1003 on the Conquest in a few months.  Going to try this corner room (new type room for us), seen some pics and decent reviews on CC and thought we'd give it a shot.  Was only a couple bucks more than an normal inside room we were looking at on same deck 10.

Funny thing is like 3 different times over the last 6 weeks I have logged into my booking and a "new" upgrade offer was there.  All three times I denied it.  They are trying to get me to give this room up for a deck 2 OV.  They must really want this room if they have tried 3 times.  Still have a couple months to go, maybe they will come up with a better offer on a balcony lol!

Anyhow, this is a first.  Every other upgrade offer I have ever received, I get an email letting me know there is an offer.  Not one of these 3 times did they send an email. I just stumbled across it in my booking.  So, I would advise everyone to check your bookings periodically for offers as they aren't always emailing. 😁

Personal experience on upgrades.  If we book a balcony or higher (which we usually do) we don't get offers (once or twice we were offered suites, but few and far between).  Seems like inside is where we get the most offers.  We don't book inside often, only on short cruises and on what we call our down and dirty trips - short 3 dayers pretty much as cheap as possible!

It is your location of your booked stateroom.  Other than connecting balconies, there isn't much need to upsell balconies. 

Edited by Elaine5715

31 minutes ago, hmmm said:

We are booked in 1004 on the Valor- so Im wondering where you found reviews and pictures of 1003?  They should be comparable, I would think to 1004.  Thanks.

I googled it... always try to find video or pics when we book a new type of room.

I actually found pics that way on a previous cruise critic post.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2616987-cabin-1003-4j-on-the-conquest/

Back when Conquest was sailing from Galveston, we had an aft wrap booked with our sons in the aft balcony next door. In fact, we booked Conquest because the aft wrap was available the week we wanted. (Yeah, we booked the cruise for the cabin.😉) Two days before sailing DH received a call from Carnival - not from our PVP, from a different part of the sales department - and they offered to move us and our sons to a grand suite for an extra $500. Well, since we booked this particular cruise for the aft wrap, we said "no deal." A couple hours later, the same agent called back. If we'd move to the grand suite, they'd give us the sons' fares as onboard credit. We decided that offer was worthwhile for us. Someone REALLY wanted that aft wrap....

• Like 3

I was checking my Cruise Manager (I have 6 cruises coming up🙃) and noticed an offer to upgrade our two rooms on Elation.  They were as far forward as you can go and still be on the ship and ocean view.  For $50 I moved DH and myself to an inside right off of Serenity in the aft and I moved my mom and 2 DDs to a mid ship inside room for $50.  It was worth it to me specifically for my mom so she would be more centrally located.

I think insides are "upsold" more often than balconies like previous posters have stated.

15 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I was checking my Cruise Manager (I have 6 cruises coming up🙃) and noticed an offer to upgrade our two rooms on Elation.  They were as far forward as you can go and still be on the ship and ocean view.  For $50 I moved DH and myself to an inside right off of Serenity in the aft and I moved my mom and 2 DDs to a mid ship inside room for $50.  It was worth it to me specifically for my mom so she would be more centrally located.

I think insides are "upsold" more often than balconies like previous posters have stated.

They usually want/need insides for families with children old enough to be in their own room but they don't want them in a balcony next to parents so they try to upsell the interior across the hall so the kids can be there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If they really, really, really wanted the room, they could just take it.

Then it would be a free upgrade. I know this happens but it's rare...might happen because it an accessible type of stateroom that they now need. 

17 minutes ago, ibarrio said:

Then it would be a free upgrade. I know this happens but it's rare...might happen because it an accessible type of stateroom that they now need. 

Carnival would only have to give the same category or higher. 4J is technically an inside cabin, so any outside cabin is an upgrade.

There are a number of reasons including if the capacity of the cabin is greater than the number of occupants booked. But heck, Carnival can even substitute a different ship if they want to.

No, these don't happen everyday, but it is possible.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival would only have to give the same category or higher. 4J is technically an inside cabin, so any outside cabin is an upgrade.

There are a number of reasons including if the capacity of the cabin is greater than the number of occupants booked. But heck, Carnival can even substitute a different ship if they want to.

No, these don't happen everyday, but it is possible.

Wow!  I don't think I've ever heard of that happening.  Crazy!

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

Last year when the Freedom caught on fire the Liberty I think it was substituted for it. And in 2021 when the Horizon had issues the Sunshine substituted for it.

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Last year when the Freedom caught on fire the Liberty I think it was substituted for it. And in 2021 when the Horizon had issues the Sunshine substituted for it.

I wonder how they dealt with the Havana area and people that paid for it on Horizon?  I love Sunshine (in 12 days I'm walking on Sunshine😁) but I would be so ticked if I had a Havana room initially.  And I have a cruise on Horizon in a Havana room Jan 2025.  Guess it is what it is🤷‍♀️

12 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I wonder how they dealt with the Havana area and people that paid for it on Horizon?  I love Sunshine (in 12 days I'm walking on Sunshine😁) but I would be so ticked if I had a Havana room initially.  And I have a cruise on Horizon in a Havana room Jan 2025.  Guess it is what it is🤷‍♀️

Testing my memory but I think they offered generous credits to those who stayed on even if they got a downgrade in room, and refunds plus flight credits to anybody who didn’t want to switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

They actually split the passengers between 2 ships. Sunshine and maybe Freedom? Not sure if Freedom is correct? I believe they gave Havana guests suites/premium vista cabins? They also had to figure out the spa cabins because the other ship besides sunshine used didn’t have spa cabins. It was xmas and new years sailings right after the restart. It would be interesting to go back to some of those threads now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Happens all the time.  I had booked a 4J on the Freedom and when the Spirit took its place, I was "upgraded" to a 4K.  I would have rather had a 4J.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wemjam said:

Funny thing is like 3 different times over the last 6 weeks I have logged into my booking and a "new" upgrade offer was there.  All three times I denied it.  They are trying to get me to give this room up

Same thing happened to me on Elation!  We are sailing this June, and we have an interior fwd on Deck 5.  I got FIVE upsell offers in a matter of a couple weeks.  Two of them were for the same cabin.  One was a sideways interior midship on 6 and another was an interior fwd on 12 (which Carnival considers a considerable "upgrade", but I do not).  There were not a lot of "good" cabins available when I booked a few months ago, and I actually down graded my usual oceanview to an interior bc all the oceanview cabins were in undesirable areas.  My Deck 5 fwd interior was about $50 more than the cheapest oceanview, so if I wanted the cabins they were offering me, I would have booked initially, lol.  

1 hour ago, Megan_Strick said:

I have an email offer on my Sept cruise but when I click on it, it says it is no longer valid. Been on there for 2 weeks. I don't plan on accepting it because I have the perfect room but its kind of annoying its still there.

Usually they have a decline (I am happy with my current room) option, so it goes away once you click that.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, BlerkOne said:

If they really, really, really wanted the room, they could just take it.

Absolutely true - happened to us for our upcoming Jubilee booking. I had obsessively compulsively researched/booked a very specific location at least a year in advance. Recently got a very brief email basically saying "you've been moved" (no explanation and no other cabin options available as the cruise is sold out).