Catholic Mass Onboard

ScottC4746

7 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have a cruise in May 2024 to Alaska.  Our Sunday is a port day.  Will they have Catholic Mass on board or do we need to get ourselves to the local parish?

No Sunday Mass since over decade ago. Probably Mass on Easter or Christmas. We did have a priest aboard on the cruise we had during Lent 2019, but none on this year's.

Re: Local Mass in Alaska!

If in Ketchikan, the parish there offers a "port-to-pew" service to get to the service. When we were there in 2021, it was on hiatus due to covid so DH and I walked the 1.5 miles to the church. Be aware that Jackson St. is not a street but a steep staircase up to the actual street. Luckily, a kind parishioner brought us back to port. So take a taxi if the church shuttle doesn't run. IDK about Seward or Juneau.

We use an app called MassTimes.   For the most part it is reliable.  There is an option to show where the churches are on a map.   We always use it when we travel.   I know it works for the Caribbean islands as we have used to there.   You hit the balloon and it lists the church the info button and it gives more information along with getting the direction from your location by hitting the address.  Ex is for Juneau 

The app is free

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0548.png

IMG_0549.png

IMG_0550.png

IMG_0551.png

IMG_0552.png

IMG_0553.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

There will only be a Mass if there happens to be a priest onboard who offers to host one. If attending Mass is important to you, you will need to find one in port.

I hope this is still the policy. So many changes since covid.

I recall the days when there was almost always a Priest on board. In fact, we knew one who was retiring from teaching at the Universiaty our oldest Son graduated from. During his retirement party, I asked what he was going to do to keep busy. His comment was I'm going to be a traveling Priest on Celebrity. Unfortunately for us, he was never on any of our sailings. 

17 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have a cruise in May 2024 to Alaska.  Our Sunday is a port day.  Will they have Catholic Mass on board or do we need to get ourselves to the local parish?

You will most likely have to get yourself to a local parish.  Been a long time since there were Masses on board.

For my several Celebrity sails experience (and all my other sails experience included), I have only attended one Mass on-board. It was not Christmas nor Easter, it was just a regular Sunday Mass, which happened we had a priest on-board. So, no guarantee. If Sunday is a port day, you can try local parish. Do you research behand.

Edited by quickpick

8 hours ago, kreemmer said:

Think Holland America still has Catholic priest onboard for all sailings.

Aloha.  I believe just HAL also. I also recommend Mass Times. Use it frequently when traveling.

We had mass aboard the Edge in the week before December 2018 held in the conference room next door to the Club venue. I think the priest was aboard for just the cruises pre and post Christmas. I was surprised how well attended it was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 6:47 AM, TMLAalum said:

No Sunday Mass since over decade ago. Probably Mass on Easter or Christmas. We did have a priest aboard on the cruise we had during Lent 2019, but none on this year's.

Re: Local Mass in Alaska!

If in Ketchikan, the parish there offers a "port-to-pew" service to get to the service. When we were there in 2021, it was on hiatus due to covid so DH and I walked the 1.5 miles to the church. Be aware that Jackson St. is not a street but a steep staircase up to the actual street. Luckily, a kind parishioner brought us back to port. So take a taxi if the church shuttle doesn't run. IDK about Seward or Juneau.

My DW took an Alaskan cruise on Royal last fall and went to this church. Thought she was walking up to heaven...LONG STEEP walk to heaven...

• Haha 1