Tipping musicians?

Starstruckharper

21 minutes ago, Starstruckharper said:

Is it a) possible b) rude or c) against the rules to tip any musicians you happen to be especially appreciative of on a transatlantic crossing?

One has, having enjoyed performances.  It was financial when a favourite beverage from the bar was declined due to ship rules.  It was not considered rude, or breaking any rules.  All were greatly appreciated and in return one was granted a music request.

A win/win

What goes around…….

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Starstruckharper said:

Is it a) possible b) rude or c) against the rules to tip any musicians you happen to be especially appreciative of on a transatlantic crossing?

Never really saw of heard any offering gratitude to a musicians either in the band, bars like the Commodore Club or Chart Room.

Edited by BklynBoy8

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I must say, if I were a musician, I should find it insulting in the extreme. 

I agree,

The best tip for any of the entertainment staff would be fulsome praise on the 'You're  a Star' card and as  MelbTone said, in a survey.

I think this may need to be parsed out a bit (and perhaps allowances made for cultural differences as well). It goes without saying that favorable comments on surveys, etc., would be welcome.

Coming from the US, I find it very much normal to tip a lounge pianist - in fact, many have a tip jar handy. On the other hand, I wasn't surprised when Billy Joel acted all huffy when I sent him a tenner after that concert. I think the approach that @PORT ROYAL took, trying to buy the performers a drink, might have been more appropriate (well, not for Billy; I believe he abstains now).

So maybe there's a distinction to be made between "headliners" and "background music"?

19 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I think this may need to be parsed out a bit (and perhaps allowances made for cultural differences as well). It goes without saying that favorable comments on surveys, etc., would be welcome.

Coming from the US, I find it very much normal to tip a lounge pianist - in fact, many have a tip jar handy. On the other hand, I wasn't surprised when Billy Joel acted all huffy when I sent him a tenner after that concert. I think the approach that @PORT ROYAL took, trying to buy the performers a drink, might have been more appropriate (well, not for Billy; I believe he abstains now).

So maybe there's a distinction to be made between "headliners" and "background music"?

The “gratuity” was for the harpist and string ensemble.  The offer was for the receiver/s to have a refreshment in the crew bar, or onshore, when off duty.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I must say, if I were a musician, I should find it insulting in the extreme. 

No different to tipping any member of staff.

You're either in camp that believe in tipping as a way of showing appreciation. 

Or you're in the camp that believe that tipping any professional is demeaning and all members of staff are professionals

NB auto gratuities is another matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

On the other hand, I wasn't surprised when Billy Joel acted all huffy when I sent him a tenner after that concert.

I expect Billy wasn't huffy because of the tip; the amount was much too low.

• Haha 2

I have never tipped a musician on a ship, although I do praise them on the survey. But when we used to go to brunch where there was music, we would tip if we enjoyed the band. One hint is if there's a jar on the piano with a few "starter" bills in it, yes, tips are welcome.

• Like 1

We have been onboard when musicians have had CDs for sale. While we've never tipped extra money, we have always purchased their albums and asked for an autograph on the insert. I imagine the sale helps them and we have a great momento of our voyage.

• Like 4

Being British, I would never have considered tipping a musician. I might be wrong but would imagine artists are paid fairly well for a season on a cruise ship. I would also be scared in case, being professionals, they found it insulting.

I'm more than happy to pay an entertainment surcharge when dining at a restaurant that doesn't normally have music but perhaps has a pianist or string quartet playing on an odd occasion.

When dancing to live music, at end of dance we make a point of turning towards the musicians and applauding, unless they have been absolutely awful and almost impossible to dance to.

Sometimes I forget and even applaud a CD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Has anyone thought of tipping tender drivers? If anyone deserves your money, surely they do? Tongue about three-quarters in cheek.

If you are suggesting the Tender Driver you have to remember that he is part of a crew of several crew members operating the tender. Plus he never leave the controls and constant watching.

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The “gratuity” was for the harpist and string ensemble.  The offer was for the receiver/s to have a refreshment in the crew bar, or onshore, when off duty.

Exactly how I interpreted your original remark.

I've often bought the pianist a drink during their break. It's always been very much appreciated.

On one accasion, we took two performers whom we have known for several years, to lunch at the Verandah.

Never seen anyone handing over cash.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, exlondoner said:

Has anyone thought of tipping tender drivers?

We have come across two different captains driving tenders. Knowing the gentlemen involved they would think this a great idea.

2 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We have come across two different captains driving tenders. Knowing the gentlemen involved they would think this a great idea.

i believe Officers are not expecting to receive gratuities and would not accept monetary offerings.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 7:22 AM, Starstruckharper said:

If you feel like tipping a musician please do so, no one sees me tipping as I am discrete.

Let's be logical about this - and  there is a near perfect way out. At least some musicians are so dedicated to their art and their canon of music that they would be insulted to be offered a tip. Imagine trying to tip a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company for a particularly amazing rendition of Lady [Scottish Play]. Other musicians would have expensive mortgages, spouses, dogs, divorces to support and would relish every penny / cent.

So instead go up to the musician(s) after the performance and tell them you appreciated their work, maybe highlighting something specific you liked. Then ask if they have a flyer, card, QR code for their CD or Spotify listing so you can purchase a copy? If they have an expensive divorce to handle then you can be sure the QR code will be whipped out immediately. But if their reply is "oh, sorry no, haven't thought about that" then the point is well made and everyone goes away happy.

• Like 2

My experience has been musicians who would like a tip have a way for you to know how to provide it. A glass on a piano with a dollar stuffed in it, an open violin or guitar case, or a can with a sign on it. Cunard may have a rule against musicians doing this. I agree with @Pushpit that purchasing a CD is a great way to provide support and IMO shows a greater regard than a tip.