Passport expiry rules

yorkshirephil

Has anyone had any issues with embarking P&O ships with less than 6 months expiry left? The reason I ask is that I have seen a post on facecloth where someone has said that someone was refused boarding (I know!! but every now and then there is a true post) because they had only 4 months left on their passport from day of issue when getting back to UK. The rules are quite clear that 3 months are required from date of return to UK from EU countries. 

We will be in a position where we have just over 3 months left when we return from our early Oct Aurora cruise, I don't want to risk applying for a new passport at the end of June when we return from our next cruise as the waiting time is currently 10 weeks, which could stretch out with current strikes and  the summer season upon us.

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

Has anyone had any issues with embarking P&O ships with less than 6 months expiry left? The reason I ask is that I have seen a post on facecloth where someone has said that someone was refused boarding (I know!! but every now and then there is a true post) because they had only 4 months left on their passport from day of issue when getting back to UK. The rules are quite clear that 3 months are required from date of return to UK from EU countries. 

We will be in a position where we have just over 3 months left when we return from our early Oct Aurora cruise, I don't want to risk applying for a new passport at the end of June when we return from our next cruise as the waiting time is currently 10 weeks, which could stretch out with current strikes and  the summer season upon us.

Friends have applied on line and got their new passport back inside 1 week.

I am sure that the time needed on your passport is 6 months extra.

• Like 1

Work from issue date not expiry date due to the EU wide change in 10 year validity in  2019.

The rule for Europe is that your passport must not have been issued more than 9 years 9 months before your return date.

There are other countries where that is 9 years and 6 months on your return.

Online checkin works on the later but that just means a terminal checkin for Europe.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We will be in a position where we have just over 3 months left when we return from our early Oct Aurora cruise,

This is not from expiry date. You have to take into account issue date. Extra days added on do not count. 

Passport renewals are taking far less than 10 weeks, the background check work is now largely automated. Existing passport means most checks are already done, the new photo can be checked for suitability before sending (worth paying a few quid to have it done at Max Spielman or similar as they will access the passport photo check system in store to check the quality).

New passports take longer because a new application needs more human intervention.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Passport renewals are taking far less than 10 weeks, the background check work is now largely automated. Existing passport means most checks are already done, the new photo can be checked for suitability before sending (worth paying a few quid to have it done at Max Spielman or similar as they will access the passport photo check system in store to check the quality).

New passports take longer because a new application needs more human intervention.

I think we will assess the situation once we get back end of June, I would likely re apply at Post Office as they have always done well for us in the past and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much more. The current passport is OK as long as no one changes or misinterprets the rules

Just doing mine at the moment for exactly the same reason, we've a cruise booked for end of Oct and while GB gov are content that my passport is valid until end of Feb next year, EU countries won't accept a passport issued more than 9 years & 9 months previously. It's a pain but there you go, early renewal here we come.

As for the renewal process, it was pretty painless. Did it all online, including the photo which you can upload yourself and the site checks it to make sure it complies. Only thing remaining is to post off the old one, we'll see how long it takes before the replacement arrives.

• Like 3

I'm just booking fast track for my OH.  I know his passport is valid for EU but very nervous of over officious officials.  Seems to be two choices.  Get a form from PO, complete it, attend Newport at a cost of £155 new passport sent within 7/8 days or £193.50 to apply online and then travel to Newport to collect it in person.  Seem to be same appointment times for each though!

54 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think we will assess the situation once we get back end of June, I would likely re apply at Post Office as they have always done well for us in the past and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much more. The current passport is OK as long as no one changes or misinterprets the rules

My old passport would have just under 5 months left but rather than risk it, I also sent for a new one that took around 2.5 weeks .

I did mine online, very simple as it was a renewal. Went into Morrissons supermarket and 

used Max Speilman ,who gave me an online code as well as the photos.

I suppose if your using the Post Office you too could get your photos done first ,maybe they 

also accept photo code and if not you will have the photos already .

• Like 2

My son and soon to be daughter in law were on Iona on 29th April, and she had 3 months and 2 days .  Was told she just made the requirements.  

we applied to renew our passports online and had them back within 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

My old passport would have just under 5 months left but rather than risk it, I also sent for a new one that took around 2.5 weeks .

I did mine online, very simple as it was a renewal. Went into Morrissons supermarket and 

used Max Speilman ,who gave me an online code as well as the photos.

I suppose if your using the Post Office you too could get your photos done first ,maybe they 

also accept photo code and if not you will have the photos already .

I renewed mine last year at the post office. They took the photo. The passport took about 10 days. The foreign officials do seem to be taking quite an interest regarding dates.

• Like 1

The Post Office around here (I've tried 6 different ones this afternoon) have no passport application forms which they claim is due to the strike meaning they weren't sent out.  A call to Newport Passport Office has confirmed there is a supply problem, they have said they will send one but takes 3 to 4 days.  They checked the appointment which is 20 May and informed me if the form doesn't arrive by Tuesday I need to rearrange it on Wednesday or face a £30 penalty!  They then checked and told me there are no more Newport appointments between 20th and the end of the month.  They kindly offered Belfast as an alternative!

4 hours ago, thornegirl said:

My son and soon to be daughter in law were on Iona on 29th April, and she had 3 months and 2 days .  Was told she just made the requirements.  

we applied to renew our passports online and had them back within 2 weeks. 

I also had mine back within 2 weeks. Heads up from our local post office, Passport office tell you to post it “to be signed for”. PO counter staff recommended registered post. Cost around £6. 

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

My son had his new passport within 10 days, he submitted it online, the 10 weeks primarily applies to paper submissions which have to be manually processed. plus you are charged almost £10 more for a paper submission. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

Thought I'd post an update, it might help give an impression of the current situation.

Posted the old passport on Tuesday (9th), signed for delivery (which cost £2.60), and today got a text confirmation from the passport office that they've received it.

We'll see how quickly the new passport gets processed.

1 hour ago, Cruise_Rookie_2010 said:

Thought I'd post an update, it might help give an impression of the current situation.

Posted the old passport on Tuesday (9th), signed for delivery (which cost £2.60), and today got a text confirmation from the passport office that they've received it.

We'll see how quickly the new passport gets processed.

It does rather seem that the current work to rule is proving to be more efficient that normal working.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5