RCCL and Veterans

Both Odyssey, Ovation and Oasis have done fabulous veterans ceremonies. Odyssey and Ovation did a group pictures if I remember right and anyone could take a picture while the photographer was getting setup. No one was forced to buy a picture if they handed their phone to one of the many spouses willing to take pictures on your behalf.

19 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

They did the same thing here and I believe they do it on most cruises. It is moving and most vets, including myself, attend and are glad they did.

My point was that they take a group photo and then want the vets to buy it. I don't care who is making money off of this, it is on a RCCL ship and they are using the vets to make a few extra dollars. I can't believe anyone other than the vets would buy the pix, so why not just offer it to them to thank them for their service?

Cheers

Len

Agree very cheesy and odd.

• Like 1

What does RCL mean when they use the word VETS??

I was in Korea & got wounded so I could not re-up so just because I was not a career milatary I cant get ther MILATARY DISCOUNT??????

george35

12 minutes ago, george35 said:

I was in Korea & got wounded so I could not re-up so just because I was not a career milatary I cant get ther MILATARY DISCOUNT??????

george35

You don't need to be a "career" military to get the military discount.  If you served in a combat zone, you are eligible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

You don't need to be a "career" military to get the military discount.  If you served in a combat zone, you are eligible.

You do not need to have served in combat. Just need your DD214 or another proof of service. I've never been asked for proof of service.

Edited by CruisinNole
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CruisinNole said:

You do not need to have served in combat. Just need your DD214. I've never been asked for proof of service.

The old rules did stipulate, which I don't see posted anymore, words to the effect,  having served 2 years active duty or served in a combat zone (if less than 2 years).

1 hour ago, george35 said:

george35

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

all you need is your DD-214; that said however, the Vet discount is very difficult to get applied, I am successful maybe 1 time in 5. Usually there is some other discount that over rides it.

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

The old rules did stipulate, which I don't see posted anymore, words to the effect,  having served 2 years active duty or served in a combat zone (if less than 2 years).

It's still there. It's 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone. 

• Like 1

Thank you all who have replied and with great appreciation, I say thanks to all who thank veterans for their service.

I need to clear up a matter as I think some have taken it the wrong way. To the gentleman who said I was 'whining' because I didn't get a free pix, that is so far from what I said, maybe you should reread what I wrote. I couldn't care less about the pix or any freebies that RCCL or anyone else offers. If they offer something that I am entitled to, and I want to take advantage of, so be it. But what I said, several times is that I think it is just wrong for RCCL, or whoever is taking these pics, to try and make money off veterans by taking a group photo of a veterans event and then trying to sell it to those veterans who participated. They invite you to be honored and then sell you a pic of it. I find that in very bad taste.

Cheers

Len

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Over the past 10 years, veteran's ceremonies have been improving.  One touch I like:  when the Capt introduces military members of the crew.  

Band on Anthem played a very nice rendition of the Service Hymn medley.  I made a suggestion to the band leader that instead of taps, play "Eternal Father Strong to Save".

5 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thank you all who have replied and with great appreciation, I say thanks to all who thank veterans for their service.

I need to clear up a matter as I think some have taken it the wrong way. To the gentleman who said I was 'whining' because I didn't get a free pix, that is so far from what I said, maybe you should reread what I wrote. I couldn't care less about the pix or any freebies that RCCL or anyone else offers. If they offer something that I am entitled to, and I want to take advantage of, so be it. But what I said, several times is that I think it is just wrong for RCCL, or whoever is taking these pics, to try and make money off veterans by taking a group photo of a veterans event and then trying to sell it to those veterans who participated. They invite you to be honored and then sell you a pic of it. I find that in very bad taste.

Cheers

Len

I agree with the previous poster who said it sounds like you are whining. I spent over 20 years on active duty in the US Air Force. I don’t expect anything for free because I am a retired Veteran and I don’t see any issue with RCI selling photos from Veterans get togethers or ceremonies. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, Giantfan13 said:

We just got off a TA on the Enchantment, where RCCL did its usual Veterans ceremony with the usual cake to honor all Veterans. Myself, I am a USAF Viet Nam veteran. It is very nice that people are recognizing the Vets who gave up so many years of their lives to help serve our great country. I never really expect anything for being a Veteran and don't ask for anything. I did what I had to do. It might be nice if companies like RCCL did something more than a piece of cake while proclaiming to 'love' our veterans, but that isn't why I am writing because I feel that RCCL has now sunk to a new low in this matter. At the Veteran honoring ceremony, they had all the vets stand there for a pix and then they try and sell them that pix. Myself, I feel this is an outrage trying to make a few more bucks off Veterans. It might have been nice to offer a copy of these pix to all the Veterans, but no, they need to sell it to them. 

I may be coming off as a whiner, but I am not, I just hate it when people or companies proclaim that they love our Veterans yet do nothing to show it and instead try and make more money off of them.

I'm down off my soap box.

Cheers

Len

As the daughter of an Army Vet who fought in World War II, I can verify you are definitey not a whiner. Every Veteran on the ship should have received a copy of the photo gratis as a thank you for your COURAGE SERVING OUR COUNTRY!!!

I suggest the next time any RCI ship visits the port near Normandy, France someone in Management tours Omaha Beach, looks at the 10,000 plus American tombstones and realizes charging a Veteran for the photo is an absolute insult!!!

• Like 1

The Veteran get together on cruises really never existed 10 years ago. Now it has become a "thing"....so where is the outrage on that huge gap? It seems some are more worried about photos... here is a novel idea...take your own photo. As for the get together. I will say some lines do it better than the others. I feel Royal kind of goes through the motions (so much so I don't even attend) and Carnival really goes all out. Let's be clear though, I don't go on a cruise for the purpose of a Vet get together with strangers. Especially those strangers who did not serve in the Navy or Department of the Navy...i.e.; Marines (sorry had to throw that in there... lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

The Veteran get together on cruises really never existed 10 years ago. Now it has become a "thing"....so where is the outrage on that huge gap? It seems some are more worried about photos... here is a novel idea...take your own photo. As for the get together. I will say some lines do it better than the others. I feel Royal kind of goes through the motions (so much so I don't even attend) and Carnival really goes all out. Let's be clear though, I don't go on a cruise for the purpose of a Vet get together with strangers. Especially those strangers who did not serve in the Navy or Department of the Navy...i.e.; Marines (sorry had to throw that in there... lol)

There is no need to be embarrassed that you served in the Navy. Most of my Air Force friends don’t look down on the Navy (and Army) too much. 🙂

• Haha 1

There was a nice veterans ceremony on our Brilliance cruise in March. No photo but since I didn't know anyone in the large crowd and at 5' 3", wasn't really visible amongst the taller men, I wouldn't have purchased a photo anyway. 

1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

Interesting. I was on the Oasis this past March and don't recall seeing anything about a veterans get together.

It was held in the promenade. The CD led it with the capt present. They descended on Rising tide. It was an excellent ceremony. 

3 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Interesting. I was on the Oasis this past March and don't recall seeing anything about a veterans get together.

It varies from ship to ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise. For example, in the past several months I have been on Freedom 3 times. They only had a military/veterans appreciation event on one of the three cruises. I have had similar experiences on other ships as well recently. 

Not often, but once in a while they have a Vet discount on a cruise, which is great.  We saw the Vet ceremony on Voyager end of March and a Vet sang the National Anthem.  It was very moving and special, made me cry since my husband is a Vet.  I love that Royal is having this ceremony for them.