RCCL and Veterans

We just got off a TA on the Enchantment, where RCCL did its usual Veterans ceremony with the usual cake to honor all Veterans. Myself, I am a USAF Viet Nam veteran. It is very nice that people are recognizing the Vets who gave up so many years of their lives to help serve our great country. I never really expect anything for being a Veteran and don't ask for anything. I did what I had to do. It might be nice if companies like RCCL did something more than a piece of cake while proclaiming to 'love' our veterans, but that isn't why I am writing because I feel that RCCL has now sunk to a new low in this matter. At the Veteran honoring ceremony, they had all the vets stand there for a pix and then they try and sell them that pix. Myself, I feel this is an outrage trying to make a few more bucks off Veterans. It might have been nice to offer a copy of these pix to all the Veterans, but no, they need to sell it to them. 

I may be coming off as a whiner, but I am not, I just hate it when people or companies proclaim that they love our Veterans yet do nothing to show it and instead try and make more money off of them.

I'm down off my soap box.

Cheers

Len

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We just got off a TA on the Enchantment, where RCCL did its usual Veterans ceremony with the usual cake to honor all Veterans. Myself, I am a USAF Viet Nam veteran. It is very nice that people are recognizing the Vets who gave up so many years of their lives to help serve our great country. I never really expect anything for being a Veteran and don't ask for anything. I did what I had to do. It might be nice if companies like RCCL did something more than a piece of cake while proclaiming to 'love' our veterans, but that isn't why I am writing because I feel that RCCL has now sunk to a new low in this matter. At the Veteran honoring ceremony, they had all the vets stand there for a pix and then they try and sell them that pix. Myself, I feel this is an outrage trying to make a few more bucks off Veterans. It might have been nice to offer a copy of these pix to all the Veterans, but no, they need to sell it to them. 

I may be coming off as a whiner, but I am not, I just hate it when people or companies proclaim that they love our Veterans yet do nothing to show it and instead try and make more money off of them.

Cheers

Len

At a pretty low loyalty level pax get a free picture. So some may appreciate being notified it's for sale. I rarely get my free picture, but sometimes. 

51 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

Thank you for your service sir. The Odyssey crew did such an amazing job with the veterans ceremony on our Med cruise last fall.  It was in 270, well attended and supported by family and other guests.  I didn't even notice the photo selling, because I was focussed on the moment and how my Dad looked to happy to be amongst some amazing patriots.  

Edited by akke29
  • Like 3

First off, thank you for your service   My older brother served during the Vietnam War    

We first saw one of these ceremonies some years back on Grandeur.   It brought tears to my wife’s eyes as her father was one of the first at Omaha Beach, and Battle of the Bulge if I recall correctly. Thankfully he came home 

Its  wonderful RCL does this and I hope they continue to do so for some time 

Edited by onthewater51
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

At a pretty low loyalty level pax get a free picture. So some may appreciate being notified it's for sale. I rarely get my free picture, but sometimes. 

I wouldn't say Diamond is a pretty low loyalty level.  That's where you start getting a free photo.

5 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

Not a veteran, but a big +1. 

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Each ship does it a bit different.

Last year the CD called out each branch of military for applause and then included other countries as well.

They did the same thing here and I believe they do it on most cruises. It is moving and most vets, including myself, attend and are glad they did.

My point was that they take a group photo and then want the vets to buy it. I don't care who is making money off of this, it is on a RCCL ship and they are using the vets to make a few extra dollars. I can't believe anyone other than the vets would buy the pix, so why not just offer it to them to thank them for their service?

Cheers

Len

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

They did the same thing here and I believe they do it on most cruises. It is moving and most vets, including myself, attend and are glad they did.

My point was that they take a group photo and then want the vets to buy it. I don't care who is making money off of this, it is on a RCCL ship and they are using the vets to make a few extra dollars. I can't believe anyone other than the vets would buy the pix, so why not just offer it to them to thank them for their service?

Cheers

Len

Agree. RC should tell the rip off contractor who runs the photo shop not to charge the vets for the picture. Welcome home brother. ✌️

• Like 2

I'm a 20+ year active duty Army retiree.  I love my fellow brother and sister vets of all services and friendly countries.  Most of all, I humble myself to those that left a little or a lot of themselves behind in conflicts we've been involved in.  I am a huge supporter of Gold Star families.  

One thing I don't do is expect any business to honor me or offer me any perks because of my service.  If they do, I go out of my way to thank them for whatever they do and yes, I take advantage of it.  If a business doesn't provide a veterans discount or benefit, I may or may not shop or do business there.  BUT, I will not complain if they don't, I let my wallet and feet do my complaining for me if I so desire.  Also, there are plenty of businesses that make money off of Vets, on a daily basis.  Hell, there are businesses in VA Hospitals that make money off of Vets and at the same time proclaim that they are avid supporters of Vets.  I do not feel entitled.  That's not to say that I believe the OP does.  This is just my own feelings about being a Vet., and what businesses do or don't do for them.

Thank you Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for recognizing those that made it possible for all of us to cruise and do so many other things that would be impossible otherwise.  I'm glad I'm typing this in English!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

I often attend the veteran's ceremony and have been on many group pictures.  I simply ask my beautiful wife to make sure she takes a picture... so we can "capture the monent".

• Like 2

We’re diamond plus and I think have attended the veterans gathering on each cruise. They vary a bit but are always fun.  

The last  few weeks we we’ve been on a Norwegian B2B, first time on Norwegian in several years. Each cruise had daily veterans gatherings every sea day in a lounge and one invitation only afternoon reception with snacks and drinks. After introductions the photographer took pictures of each veteran or couple separately with the Captain. The next day the photo and a certificate was delivered to our stateroom — no charge!!  Norwegian now gives a 10% discount to veterans also. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

...I never really expect anything for being a Veteran and don't ask for anything. I did what I had to do. It might be nice if companies like RCCL did something more than a piece of cake while proclaiming to 'love' our veterans, but that isn't why I am writing because I feel that RCCL has now sunk to a new low in this matter. At the Veteran honoring ceremony, they had all the vets stand there for a pix and then they try and sell them that pix. Myself, I feel this is an outrage trying to make a few more bucks off Veterans. It might have been nice to offer a copy of these pix to all the Veterans, but no, they need to sell it to them. 

Cheers

Len

I am a 20 year retiree from the Military, as is my son.  I, like PhillyFan, don't expect anything free for being a retiree.  If they give something, I thank them in appreciation.  

You state "I never really expect anything for being a Veteran and don't ask for anything" then went on to ask for "more than a piece of cake," and feel "outrage" because they wanted to sell you a picture. 

If you're going to say you "never really expect anything" then you shouldn't come on social media and complain about NOT getting anything.  Personally, as retired military, I feel that you are a "whiner" and you are presenting us in a bad light.  Instead of being grateful we were all recognized and thanked for our service, something that is fairly new on Royal Caribbean, you admit "outrage" and not getting a bunch of free stuff.  I can't speak for you, but I didn't serve for "discounts" or "freebies."  

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

Hey Len, NCL takes 10% off the cruise at purchase for veterans.  I get your point about the duplicity associated with honoring veterans.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Myself, I feel this is an outrage trying to make a few more bucks off Veterans

Let me introduce you to cruising in general.

Any activity or space onboard is designed with increasing the ships overall capacity to make money for the cruise line. They wouldn't do the veterans (or other) recognition events if there weren't a way to capitalize on it.

edit: not to say that it's right, but that's just the reality of cruising.

Edited by notscb
edit
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I found out on our recent TA that some of these "special " pictures that are taken at special events ( like specialty restaurants) and placed in a nice folder are not part of the C & A complimentary picture amenity.  My DH and I had a really good picture of us taken in Teppanyaki on Odyssey and it was not avaiable as a D+ amenity.  This could be the case also with this. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

I found out on our recent TA that some of these "special " pictures that are taken at special events ( like specialty restaurants) and placed in a nice folder are not part of the C & A complimentary picture amenity.  My DH and I had a really good picture of us taken in Teppanyaki on Odyssey and it was not avaiable as a D+ amenity.  This could be the case also with this. Just a thought. 

I'd tell them to keep the folder and give me my (at no additional charge) CAS picture(s). No where in the onboard CAS exclusive benefits letter does it say that certain pictures are not permitted. Just one free photo (per member). Sounds like the onboard photo contractor is making their own adjustments to the CAS benefits program. Speaking only for myself, I would have spoken with the LA if I wanted the picture.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

On our next RC cruise I'll be paying it forward by giving our (two) CAS pictures to any two vets that want the group photo. We very rarely us the photo perk/benefit. 

Nice gesture but I am hearing that the card holder must be in the photo to use the free photo offer.   It was the case about 10 years ago as well. 

M

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Nice gesture but I am hearing that the card holder must be in the photo to use the free photo offer.   It was the case about 10 years ago as well. 

M

I would be in the picture. So 1 out of 2 pictures as my wife wouldn't be in the picture. But we also would request one each (?).