Food quality sucks!

FireEMT978

12 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Wasn't January (and into February) of this year, the time period we saw X testing all kinds of significant cuts that we have started seeing rolled back?  Like the buffet.  For a number of weeks early in this year, X had eliminated most (maybe all) the made-to-order stations and cut down on the options.  Those same weeks a number of items disappeared from the MDR menus, items that we at least partially have seen reappear.

I've been reading CC for a while and I'm not sure I would trust any cruise in January or February of this year as representative of what to expect for future cruises as that seemed to be a test period for Celebrity.

This was the reply I've received from X's twitter, on my Feb Solstice sailing, I can confirm it was accurate

Starting January 2nd, 2023, evening/dinner hours in the Oceanview Café will have limited offerings. 

•One food station: The food station will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu

•A limited salad station 

•The pizza station 

•Beverage station: Water, Juices, Tea, and Coffee

New fees

•$9.95 room service fee

•Additional $16.95 lobster tail fee (despite not changing to a Maine lobster tail like RCI and Carnival

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Starting January 2nd, 2023, evening/dinner hours in the Oceanview Café will have limited offerings. 

•One food station: The food station will host a 7-day rotational international-themed menu

•A limited salad station 

•The pizza station 

•Beverage station: Water, Juices, Tea, and Coffee

This matches the reports I remember reading from early this year but isn't at all representative of what I found on the Eclipse just last week and what others have reported in more recent months.  

Last week in the evenings, there were three made-to-order stations (pasta, Asian stir fry, and grilled meat)  plus pizza, a pretty good salad bar, I think two different stations of hot foods, a bread station, and a dessert station.

So I'm not sure a sailing in January or February is very representative of what is happening currently on ships.

The new fees they introduced then still stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

If there were only one or two cruisers reporting a problem with the quality of food on a recent voyage they would most likely be attacked for whining, the traditional practice of shooting the messenger.  When someone such as Anne, whose opinion I would trust above anyone else on these boards, I believe the problem is as described.

The more cruisers reporting a negative experience, the sooner the problem will be fixed.

We're m so confident in Celebrity's positive response to this issue, that we've booked a two month stay on a Celebrity ship this winter.

So yes, I agree.  The negativity is giving me positive vibes.

Complaining about it is a waste of time and effort. The only way to get them to do something is to quit giving them your money. Case in point, we started cruising in 2005 and following this board. The one complaint, which seemed to show up regularly is the IT department. Fast forward to 2023 and there are still complaining about it. We haven’t given X or RCL a penny since March 2019.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

How was the food on the Apex TA ? 
it was good on the Reflection TA? 
were you ok in an inside cabin ? 

Quality has certainly declined but I always found something to my liking and oddly enough never sent anything back.  One night ordered the 4 ounce filet mignon off the kids menu and it was very good.  I skipped desserts most nights as too repetitive and sometimes stopped at Cafe El bacio for a small tart or cake. The inside cabin worked out great.  Very spacious with tons of storage,  king bed and sofa,  really more space than I needed.  Literally the only time I spent there was to sleep, shower and change for dinner. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2023 at 9:09 AM, TeeRick said:

We have been taking more land vacations instead of cruises.  We rented a house near the beach this winter in FL for a month, for about the Celebrity sky suite price for two for a 7 day cruise.  No brainer.

Question: did the house near the beach include food, cooking, maid service, laundry, bar waitstaff, liquor, or transportation to various islands?

Edited by rickdent
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rickdent said:

Question: did the house near the beach include food, cooking, maid service, laundry, bar waitstaff, liquor, or transportation to various islands?

Probably not.  But it probably did include a coffee maker, a washer and dryer, super fast internet, a refrigerator to store lunchmeat, and good seafood and steak restaurants nearby that were't $50 a head over what was already paid.  We too spend time in Florida in the winter.  We are there for 6 weeks.  Even after paying for food and drinks -- at restaurants and from grocery stores -- those 6 weeks would equal about 2 weeks in a veranda cabin.  Cruising is fun but we like choices.  

• Like 7

On 5/24/2023 at 9:27 PM, FireEMT978 said:

Well,

Just got off of the 5/9/23, 12-night Hawaii Eclipse sailing. I'm sure that this will upset the "Loyalists"! But, the food quality was horrible on the Eclipse! I was on the 8-Night Beyond "Holiday sailing" from 12/26/22-1/3/23. The entire cruise, including the food was all phenomenal! As for our Eclipse sailing, I can't say enough about just how much the majority of the guests onboard were very disappointed with the food quality all over the ship. The buffet was pretty much identical, with minimal changes daily. The scrambled eggs were like soup! The quality of the "Celebrity" product has suffered severely! We looked up to Celebrity to be a big "Step up" in food quality! We now feel that Celebrity is being cheapened up, to save money/make the investors a larger profit. We feel like the exact same food that is being served on Royal Caribbean ships, is now the exact same food being served on Celebrity. It's really sad. The ships are sailing at up to 110% revenue capacity. And, they are still cutting the quality of the product. Many of us sailed during the restart immediately after the "Pandemic" to prove our loyalty. Now, I feel as if I should even consider booking anymore future cruises. While we have been very happy with my "move" from Royal Caribbean, to Celebrity Cruise Line, the current experinces will shape our future decisions. We dressed up in our "Finest" to go to the MDR on this cruise, only to find out that the "Aged Prime Rib of Beef" was not being served, as shown on the menu! Talk about a huge amount of the MDR guests being extremely upset! After 25 cruises in the past 26 years, the deficiences/intentional cutbacks are showing badly!

We docked next to you in Victoria.  I thought about asking a few X passengers how the food was, but never got an opportunity.  The food was bad on our 12 night Eclipse sailing 4 years ago, not because of bad recipes, but 12 nights with no vegetables.  No veggies = No business.

7 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

My commentary is never personal, always for levity.

I think the constant belittling of any concerns shared here on CC adds absolutely no levity to this forum. But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I think the constant belittling of any concerns shared here on CC adds absolutely no levity to this forum. But that's just me.

Well, fair enough. Not intended.

I am from the side of true coexistence. If I offended anyone, certainly neither my intention nor my thought.

Apologies to anyone offended.

Life is short. Peace to however you may seek it.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

12 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Well, fair enough. Not intended.

I am from the side of true coexistence. If I offended anyone, certainly neither my intention nor my thought.

Apologies to anyone offended.

Life is short. Peace to however you may seek it.

Fair enough, but understand that "coexistence" is an odd choice of words from you. Like it or not, the Celebrity experience, as on other mass market lines, is class based. I felt the difference my first time sailing in the Retreat. Then I REALLY felt the difference in a Royal Suite in March. The level of service provided to me was different. I suspect there wasn't much coexisting from your singular EV experience and I suspect there will be even less coexisting from your Iconic Suite. That said, to be so critical of others experiences on the rest of the ship is IMO Un-4-2-N-8.

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
33 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Fair enough, but understand that "coexistence" is an odd choice of words from you. Like it or not, the Celebrity experience, as on other mass market lines, is class based. I felt the difference my first time sailing in the Retreat. Then I REALLY felt the difference in a Royal Suite in March. The level of service provided to me was different. I suspect there wasn't much coexisting from your singular EV experience and I suspect there will be even less coexisting from your Iconic Suite. That said, to be so critical of others experiences on the rest of the ship is IMO Un-4-2-N-8.

Not critical, just a counterpoint to the sometimes exhausting critiques.

True, my experience with Celebrity is brief compared to everyone else. But, what I saw didn't match so much of the downright negative in here.

Just saying that Celebrity did a great job.

Everyone can (or should) be fortunate. It is almost all a state of mind.

Truth be told, I'm happy in a bed with sheets, a nice drink, and a superb balcony (now I'm being wryly humorous with the balcony comment - those RS and PS overhangs are dreadful)

No intention of offending anyone.

Peace.

15 hours ago, rickdent said:

No of course not and you certainly know that.  I understand that they are different vacations and experiences.  Land vs. Sea.  But I was just mentioning that we have other vacation choices for the price of a cruise.  Many of us learned this in the long cruising shutdown.  So if some are unhappy with Celebrity, or the food or whatever, why not consider other choices (or cruise lines)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

True, my experience with Celebrity is brief compared to everyone else. But, what I saw didn't match so much of the downright negative in here.

It's almost comical that you think my point was that your experience with Celebrity is "brief."

9 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No of course not and you certainly know that.  I understand that they are different vacations and experiences.  Land vs. Sea.  But I was just mentioning that we have other vacation choices for the price of a cruise.  Many of us learned this in the long cruising shutdown.  So if some are unhappy with Celebrity, or the food or whatever, why not consider other choices (or cruise lines)?

Excellent point TeeRick, and your point should be the basis for consumer choices. To the person who asked does the Florida place include this and that - no. But then in the on land situation, one is Not paying for this or that, and that is often the point.

It should not always be about the amount of $ - there are non financial considerations that enter into any purchase decision.

Cruises are becoming a smaller part of my travel experience as they are too repetitive, unpredictable and being downgraded.  It appears that the cruise lines are experiencing reduced consumer demand.

I have cruised Celebrity since 1991 and up till about 2015, the experience was consistent - you knew the product and services you would get each time - everything changed in 2015 or so and that was before covid.

• Like 2

Guest 4-2-N-8
44 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's almost comical that you think my point was that your experience with Celebrity is "brief."

giphy.gif

I apologize if I misread something somewhere.

I do wish peace to all.

11 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Just saying that Celebrity did a great job.

Truth be told, I'm happy in a bed with sheets, a nice drink, and a superb balcony (now I'm being wryly humorous with the balcony comment - those RS and PS overhangs are dreadful)

No intention of offending anyone.

You made two long posts about your wonderful experience in Beyond. In both of them you complained about all the griping because your experience in a suite eating in all the specialty restaurants and Luminae did not match what people are discussing here.

It has been discussed many times that the problems with food and other things largely do not seem to have been experienced by suite cruisers.

You may think everyone should have a "fortunate" state of mind and all the problems brought up here would go away. However, your being fortunate involves being able to afford the top of the line experience where top quality has apparently been preserved. It isn't due to having a mindset of not complaining or a positive attitude.

Problems on the ship, and the rest of the fleet, faced by the other 60 to 80% of cruisers in the MDR and OVC didn't cease to exist because at the most elite level on one newer ship you didn't see them.

Don't get me wrong. I have no complaint about you enjoying the luxury and pampering you paid for in a suite. You earned it and I am glad you got what was promised...a dream vacation.

I just don't think you are in a position to attack the people who have cruised for years and can speak from experience about how they aren't getting that.

Finally, no one would mind your early posts if any of your humor acknowledged that maybe, just maybe, there was a little Marie Antoinette in them.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

In my next life I'm picking richer, more fortunate parents.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

It appears that the cruise lines are experiencing reduced consumer demand.

Actually the complete opposite.

I've priced up vacations in the US that I've taken in the past, including stays at the Wynn in Vegas and various hotels in Florida. In each case the per night room only price for the same 10 days we will spend on Beyond this September is more than we are paying. 

And as for complaints about a $50 upcharge for specialty dining...has anyone seen the prices of equivalent restaurants on land these days? 50 is a bargain. At the SW steakhouse at the Wynn a soup, 8oz filet with carrots and fries will cost you $140 before tax and tip. A bowl of pea soup is $24. If you want a second bowl of pea soup that will be another $24. If you want 2 bowls of soup and a salad and two main courses in a specialty restaurant on a Celebrity ship it's all included in your $50. 

• Like 2

Guest 4-2-N-8
53 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

You made two long posts about your wonderful experience in Beyond. In both of them you complained about all the griping because your experience in a suite eating in all the specialty restaurants and Luminae did not match what people are discussing here.

It has been discussed many times that the problems with food and other things largely do not seem to have been experienced by suite cruisers.

You may think everyone should have a "fortunate" state of mind and all the problems brought up here would go away. However, your being fortunate involves being able to afford the top of the line experience where top quality has apparently been preserved. It isn't due to having a mindset of not complaining or a positive attitude.

Problems on the ship, and the rest of the fleet, faced by the other 60 to 80% of cruisers in the MDR and OVC didn't cease to exist because at the most elite level on one newer ship you didn't see them.

Don't get me wrong. I have no complaint about you enjoying the luxury and pampering you paid for in a suite. You earned it and I am glad you got what was promised...a dream vacation.

I just don't think you are in a position to attack the people who have cruised for years and can speak from experience about how they aren't getting that.

Finally, no one would mind your early posts if any of your humor acknowledged that maybe, just maybe, there was a little Marie Antoinette in them.

I get it. This is a "critic" site. This doesn't evade my understanding. I enjoy reading all posts.

My perspective (and granted, it may not be readily evident) is to essentially say "live, enjoy, and be at peace with what you've got."

I'll point out again, apologies to anyone offended.

Peace to all.

44 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Actually the complete opposite.

I've priced up vacations in the US that I've taken in the past, including stays at the Wynn in Vegas and various hotels in Florida. In each case the per night room only price for the same 10 days we will spend on Beyond this September is more than we are paying. 

And as for complaints about a $50 upcharge for specialty dining...has anyone seen the prices of equivalent restaurants on land these days? 50 is a bargain. At the SW steakhouse at the Wynn a soup, 8oz filet with carrots and fries will cost you $140 before tax and tip. A bowl of pea soup is $24. If you want a second bowl of pea soup that will be another $24. If you want 2 bowls of soup and a salad and two main courses in a specialty restaurant on a Celebrity ship it's all included in your $50. 

The Wynn, and in generally flagship resort restaurants on the Vegas strip are some of the most expensive and in some cases some of the most expensive restaurants in the world.  However you get top tier food quality and the chef staff is well paid.  The bigger problem with specialty restaurants and this is the case for most cruises is if you book a package you cannot get restaurants until once on board and usually you’re not getting a reservation before 830pm at best unless you’re a suite guest

I probably sound like a broken record that X has not improved the food quality at all since the restart, only decreases and cut menu items

On 5/25/2023 at 2:48 AM, CruisinShips said:

It sounds like the OP was being specific about the issue being on the Eclipse (as they said they had a good experience on the Beyond).  I'll be on the Eclipse in October, so I am more curious about others' accounts of the food on that specific ship.

We just got off 31 days on Eclipse specifically South Pacific and Sydney to Honolulu. We ate in Luminea, Murano and Tuscan Grill. Murano as always was outstanding and Luminea was the best experience we've had aboard a ship after 25 cruises all but 3 being on Celebrity. In fact the filet mignon in Luminea was the best we've had at sea.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We docked next to you in Victoria.  I thought about asking a few X passengers how the food was, but never got an opportunity.  The food was bad on our 12 night Eclipse sailing 4 years ago, not because of bad recipes, but 12 nights with no vegetables.  No veggies = No business.

Our experience in all 3 (main) dining venues, we had no problem getting a bowl of veggies on the side or extra salad. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Our experience in all 3 (main) dining venues, we had no problem getting a bowl of veggies on the side or extra salad. 

I may stick my toe back in the water on a Pacific Coastal or something.  We weren't big fans of LLP, someone new at the helm may be a breath of fresh air.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Why? Because other choices will bring more variety of complaints one might realize.

Does your palette reflect the colorful, seasoned flavors of a victual connoisseur? Or is your pallet laden with the cumbersome weight of a gluttonous gourmand? Could be that your palate is just not sophisticated enough to let you know the difference. Oh well! 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Thanks 1