Electrical Rice Cooker

ASMTCF

I plan to buy a rice cooker in Japan, then board the cruise.  The brand new electrical rice cooker is in a box.  I won't open the box for the whole cruise.

Can I bring an electrical rice cooker to cruise ship?

Thanks!

Is it a Zojirushi one?   We can't live without our Zojirushi rice cooker and water boiler LOL.   Those 2 items are stock appliances in houses of every single relative we got.   We got them from Amazon though, not Japan.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ASMTCF said:

I plan to buy a rice cooker in Japan, then board the cruise.  The brand new electrical rice cooker is in a box.  I won't open the box for the whole cruise.

Thanks!

You should be prepared for it to be taken from you upon boarding and then returned to you at the end of your cruise.  On the other I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to take it to your cabin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ASMTCF said:

Thanks!

Will the airline home allow you to board with it?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why would that be a problem ? 

ASMTCF will you be getting a step down transformer to use it in Canada 

https://acupwr.com/collections/japan-to-usa-transformer-converter-use-100-volt-appliances-in-110-volts-countries

Good point.  When we lived in Ireland we used transformers for many of our appliances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good point.  When we lived in Ireland we used transformers for many of our appliances.

Usually electrical appliances like to be +- 10% in voltage , you are looking at 20% difference 

it could burn out the controls and heating element sooner 

• Thanks 1

Is it 110 or 220 v or does it change automatically like electronics do?  If it's not the same as your electricity current, you're asking for trouble.  Also, if you do buy it, are you going to replace the plug or use an adapter? 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wanderlust58 said:

Is it 110 or 220 v or does it change automatically like electronics do?  If it's not the same as your electricity current, you're asking for trouble.  Also, if you do buy it, are you going to replace the plug or use an adapter? 

There's also frequency...

50Hz is used in many parts of the world, including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and most countries in South America. Some examples of countries using 50Hz include the United Kingdom, Germany, France, China, India, South Africa, and Brazil

60Hz is the standard frequency used in North America, Central America, parts of South America (such as Colombia and Ecuador), Japan, and some Caribbean countries

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, wanderlust58 said:

No, all rice cookers that I know of are built for a specific voltage.  Most that I have seen are 110/120 but there are 220v rice cookers out there.  I am sure that the OP is in the know about this. 

BTW, some really nice rice cookers can set you back over $1000.  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

BTW, some really nice rice cookers can set you back over $1000.  

Wow...my rice cooked in a $10 pot on the stove comes out perfectly every time.  But it is interesting to read about different things,.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Wow...my rice cooked in a $10 pot on the stove comes out perfectly every time.  But it is interesting to read about different things,.  

I was waiting for you to say that a $1000 buys a lot of take out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, ASMTCF said:

Thanks!

The cooker will be placed in storage and most likely will be placed on a large table upon leaving the ship with items that have been confiscated.  These include irons, crockpots, knives, swords, handcuffs, coffee makers, etc.  

2 hours ago, keesar said:

The cooker will be placed in storage and most likely will be placed on a large table upon leaving the ship with items that have been confiscated.  These include irons, crockpots, knives, swords, handcuffs, coffee makers, etc.  

on our Reflection TA in April it was a very small table with stuff , maybe people are learning 

47 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

on our Reflection TA in April it was a very small table with stuff , maybe people are learning 

You mean like learning how to conceal your contraband better?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

10 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You mean like learning how to conceal your contraband better?

As I'm sure most know, alcohol is handled differently than other contraband as they deliver it on the last day.  Most of those items you see on the contraband desk were from people who carried on as the embarkation terminal XRay folks seem to get just about anything

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As I'm sure most know, alcohol is handled differently than other contraband as they deliver it on the last day.  Most of those items you see on the contraband desk were from people who carried on as the embarkation terminal XRay folks seem to get just about anything

It is not hard to miss a two burner hot plate or toaster oven!

• Haha 1