Did MSC change its policy regarding “free drinks and Wi-Fi“?

Stockjock

I had a conversation with a person who told me that they got free drinks and Wi-Fi on MSc. I countered that what they do is actually pretty misleading because it’s really not free, but they insisted that they had booked a cruise where it was free and they showed me this confirmation.

As you may know, on their Memorial Day sale, they are using that same old line of “free drinks, and Wi-Fi“, yet there is a substantially higher price if you want the “free” drinks and Wi-Fi. But it looks like perhaps she did actually get that when she booked it last year. So has MSC changed its policies and are they now offering something much more far more misleading?

I have included her confirmation, as well as a screenshot of the current pricing, which shows the substantial pricing difference if you want the free package, lol.

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

We booked a 7 day with the package in 2019, it was an extra cost back then as well.  I have noticed that when we booked in 2019 the package was only around $100pp. Now it looks to be $300pp.  A pretty big increase 

• Like 4

You can't compare the fares on a booking made in Nov 2022 vs current pricing in Jun 2023.  Fares tend to increase as sailing date gets closer.

MSC's Free Wifi & Drinks is just like NCL's Free At Sea: Marketing ploys.

• Like 1

MSC isn't the only company to advertise this way. Other companies, including other cruise lines, do this all the time. Unfortunately, a lot of people frequently misuse the word "Free" these days. Something is not "free" just because it's included in the price. It's free when someone will just let you have it without any charges or other strings attached. (Although I'll give "Buy one, get one free" a pass because at least that's clear and not misleading.)  When you have to buy something to get the "free" item, it's either "included in the price" or at "no additional cost to you". This used to be regulated much more tightly, however it seems to be enforced only in highly regulated industries, like insurance, now. 

• Like 2

When I booked the Seacape 2 months ago for Jan 2024 the difference was about $100 pp. Now it's about $300 pp. Same thing if you book a year out from now, still almost $300 pp.  So, it really has nothing to do with being close to the sail date, prices are just going up in general. It is still a better deal than purchasing a drink package separate, but definitely not free. 

"I asked my room steward for an extra roll of toilet paper and he gave it to me for free..."

It isn't free. It is paid for by the customers just like all of the other stuff that people call "free".

People should just ignore the word games and just focus on "...what I will get vs. what I will pay...".

The only issue is that some people pay for things that they neither want nor need because the things are "free".

If things are all inclusive, some people will complain.

If things are an added cost, some people will complain.

What I will get vs. what I will pay...makes the decision so much easier.

3 hours ago, cublet said:

'the only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap

Not sure who said it first (certainly wasn't Friedman) but it's an old Russian proverb.

My favorite variation on it it:

A mouse will always find free cheese in a mousetrap, but I never saw one that was very happy about it.

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Marketing people have no moral compass. Even worse than "Free drinks & wi-fi" (for an added charge) was Celebrity's "Always Included" campaign that they stuck with for far too long. The thing that made it especially bad was their going out of their way to say "Every booking. Every sailing. Every stateroom." to make it sound like it was without exception. There were, of course, plenty of exceptions.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 1

MSC runs promos! So does NCL, Carnival, Costa, RCL, Celebrity and every other cruise line out there. The difference is in every cruise lines base price. Yes drinks and wifi have an elevated base-but if you individually added a easy plus drink package and wifi you would be spending about $200 more.

It's just like you go to a restaurant and order a steak meal, want shrimp with that? It's more, want salted mushrooms with that its more.... 

16 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I had a conversation with a person who told me that they got free drinks and Wi-Fi on MSc. I countered that what they do is actually pretty misleading because it’s really not free, but they insisted that they had booked a cruise where it was free and they showed me this confirmation.

As you may know, on their Memorial Day sale, they are using that same old line of “free drinks, and Wi-Fi“, yet there is a substantially higher price if you want the “free” drinks and Wi-Fi. But it looks like perhaps she did actually get that when she booked it last year. So has MSC changed its policies and are they now offering something much more far more misleading?

I have included her confirmation, as well as a screenshot of the current pricing, which shows the substantial pricing difference if you want the free package, lol.

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

IF you believe anything is free..think again.  That said, your screen shot seems to say "best value" if you need the included items..that I don't doubt.  

I have never understood why things like this work people up...bottom line rules..always.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

Well: Actually I can understand what you're asking about. Somewhere after the pandemic there was a time when, at least from where I live, the real unique way to purchase an MSC cruise was actually within those "all inclusive" combos. They have changed their mind on that early this year though and on the current website version it is now possible to book a classic cruise ticket again with them. Don't know how things run on the US market, but if it were the Portuguese market, then I'd say: Yes; they did effectively to change their policies on "Free drinks and Wi-Fi".

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you believe anything is free..think again.  That said, your screen shot seems to say "best value" if you need the included items..that I don't doubt.  

I have never understood why things like this work people up...bottom line rules..always.  

I wrote this suggestion in another thread recently.  Basically, ditch the "free drinks and wi-fi" phrase & use this instead...

Okay, I think I've got it.

Standard Rate (Also "Standard" in Italian, same word) - Drinks & Wi-Fi not included.
Valore Rate (Valore = "Value" in Italian).  Drinks & Wi-Fi included.

My understanding has been that some cruises would have these extras included in the fare, and some not.  Very short cruises - 3 or 4-night - would not; otherwise, offered or not, depending on what the marketing people thought would sell best for particular dates and ships.

5 hours ago, twomommy said:

It looks like she has the “Fantastica” experience. It includes a beverage package and Wi-Fi.

Hello,

It might be on your side of the pond, or a 'special', but not here.

The methodology here: Select cruise; select whether include drinks package; select 'experience'; select cabin & location; then either 'done' or select any optional extras eg Wifi. Bizarrely if you select 'Drinks' as an optional extra it is twice the cost should it have been chosen in step two above.

Regards,

Cublet

On 6/2/2023 at 2:13 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I'm sailing on NCL and they say the drink package is FREE, but No you'll pay for it when they add all the extras!

As pointed out, Fantastica doesn't include drinks and wi-fi, nor does Aurea.

The problem some of us have is calling it "free", which makes zero sense when it costs hundreds more.  That's not to say that it is or isn't a decent deal, and it doesn't mean that it's not cheaper than buying those items individually, it just means it's misleading to call something free that's clearly not free.

It's a promotional rate. They have the least expensive Escape to Sea, then the Drinks/wifi and sometimes obc, and other various ones. The issue is people DON'T READ, the terms and conditions. Especially with NCL. It states you are paying the grats on the bev and dining. It's still a good deal if you drink.  They don't realized taxes and fees are added at the end as well.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2023 at 11:05 PM, Stockjock said:

As pointed out, Fantastica doesn't include drinks and wi-fi, nor does Aurea.

The problem some of us have is calling it "free", which makes zero sense when it costs hundreds more.  That's not to say that it is or isn't a decent deal, and it doesn't mean that it's not cheaper than buying those items individually, it just means it's misleading to call something free that's clearly not free.

It's "free" onboard if you choose that fare package. They give you the option of excluding the "free drinks and wifi" for a cheaper base fare. Up to you if you want it or not. It's usually about $40 per day difference which I find to be a good deal for basically unlimited drinks and free wifi.  The drink package alone is over $80 a day on RCCL when you add the gratuity charge and another $15-20 a day for wifi.

2 hours ago, nferr said:

It's "free" onboard if you choose that fare package. They give you the option of excluding the "free drinks and wifi" for a cheaper base fare. Up to you if you want it or not. It's usually about $40 per day difference which I find to be a good deal for basically unlimited drinks and free wifi.  The drink package alone is over $80 a day on RCCL when you add the gratuity charge and another $15-20 a day for wifi.

I work for a big Wall Street firm.  Let's say you have $1,000,000 with me and I put you in an account where you pay 1% annually but I don't charge you on trades and waive other costs.  While you don't pay on a per-trade basis, it's certainly not free.  And if I called it free, it would be dishonest and misleading.

See what I mean?