Don't expect your concierge embarkation lunch.

Tricia28

5 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I’ve been wondering about this - nothing shows in the app for my Infinity sailing next Saturday. I will go armed with these updated FAQs, for what it is worth.IMG_4083.thumb.png.5e80c1c4769c358f57c61a42b3f1c00b.pngIMG_4082.thumb.png.56202e01392995b9331574c16d9ecef0.png

Hello,

I find this contradictory - maybe written by different people or another example of over enthusiastic use of 'cut and paste'.

The second page above advises that a welcome letter will detail "the DATE, time and location of the luncheon" [my bold]. The clear inference is that it will not necessarily be on embarkation day.

Regards,

Cublet

9 hours ago, Tricia28 said:

Just boarded the Millenium in Seward. We took the train to get in early for the concierge  embarkation lunch as it's something my husband and I really enjoy on our first day. We usually never visit the buffet on our cruises at all. Personal preference. When we boarded at noon we went to guest relations and asked where and what time the lunch was taking place. After much back and forth between 3 guest agents they told us to go to our cabin, drop our bags and the information should be with our keys. Once in the room and finding no info we went to Deck 5. The Maitre'd sent us to deck 4. Once there we saw people being seated but we were denied entry and told that lunch was only for back to back cruisers. He said our lunch was on day 5 in Icy Strait Point. We went back to guest relations and now the story was people would miss it because they wouldn't arrive in time so they cancelled it. I asked how many people would miss it when it was in the middle of the day while in port! Sorry but that's ridiculous. They were already serving lunch for b2b cruisers. Another way to cut costs because people won't come back to the ship in the middle.of a port day to have lunch. Less food budget for Celebrity. My husband was pretty pissed because this was a selling point when we upgraded. Let's face it, he could care less about a pillow menu and upgraded toiletries. Waiting to hear back from guest relations now. Not happy at all. And before the "flaming" starts. Yes we will still enjoy our cruise. It won't ruin our day but I hate paying money for something promised and not delivered. Day 5 is not an embarkation lunch.

This has been an issue since the restart because now passengers are allocated specific boarding times anyone with a late time missed the lunch.

X's solution was to offer the lunch on another day which I know defeats the original objective but at least it is/was an attempt to give everyone a lunch. 

So not an attempt to save money or food but a genuine attempt to offer something.

The B to B lunch continues as they are already on the ship. However any B to B's who are not onboard at lunchtime do not get the lunch option on another day.

For a relaxing lunch on boarding our option is the Spa Cafe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Tricia ~ I can understand your disappointment.  It almost seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  My suggestion is going back to Guest Services and ask to schedule an appointment with the hotel director (maybe do this tomorrow morning when the frustration subsides).  Politely let them know you only want to talk the hotel director and only the hotel director (they'll try to get you to talk to the guest relations manager).  While nothing can be done since embarkation lunch time has come and gone, it's the hotel director that needs to hear from you and why it upset you.  They are the top person in Hotel Operations on the ship.  I don't do this very often but if it's something really bugging me, I will.  

To some, it may seem silly to be upset, but I get it.  If you don't feel it's necessary to talk to them tomorrow, that's fine, too.  Just know it's your best option if you want to be heard....in a nice way, of course.

Hi Anne,

On another topic - any news or hint of when the Cruise Critic " Meet and Mingle" event will restart?

Sorry didn't know how else to message you.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

<snip>

Hello,

Hmm. I have problems with the description of the Spa Cafe "We extended your spa experience by introducing the Spa Café. The result is a creative take on healthy cuisine, featuring an eclectic blend of offerings that are both flavourful and good for you." Five different types of lettuce just doesn't compare with meat and two veg. But I will look-in on Monday as it's the same deck as my cabin.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Hmm. I have problems with the description of the Spa Cafe "We extended your spa experience by introducing the Spa Café. The result is a creative take on healthy cuisine, featuring an eclectic blend of offerings that are both flavourful and good for you." Five different types of lettuce just doesn't compare with meat and two veg. But I will look-in on Monday as it's the same deck as my cabin.

Regards,

Cublet

the original post was regarding boarding day. We have no need of "meat and 2 veg " on boarding day lunchtime (or any other lunchtime for that matter). Once on board our routine is:

1) drop off bags.

2) complete life boat drill by going to appropriate station.

3) Cafe Al Bacio (latte and pot of tea) plus a couple of buns.

4) Spa Cafe as it's quiet and away from the crowds - the selection of little snacks is all we need.

• Like 1

On Silhouette as I write. 
We were late bookers for this cruise, and in Concierge Class, for what it is worth. When we checked in, all the early boarding slots were taken , so no lunch for us! Something seems to be wrong here; when advertised as a perk of your fare, one expects to get this.

Breakfast in the main restaurant is an utter shambles; we queued for 20 minutes this morning. Anytime dining in the evening not too much better. In our cabin it says, Concierge Class have priority seating in MDR, but there is certainly no evidence of that.

We have one more cruise booked on Celebrity, fortunately in a higher grade cabin. It maybe our last.

• Thanks 2

On our sailing from Seward on Millennium it was not the first day. We asked and were told that people board at so many different times in Seward due to getting there. They didn’t want people to miss it, so they had it on a different day. Totally understandable and not a problem for us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

On our sailing from Seward on Millennium it was not the first day. We asked and were told that people board at so many different times in Seward due to getting there. They didn’t want people to miss it, so they had it on a different day. Totally understandable and not a problem for us

That was almost exactly what we were told last August inSeward.

How hard would it have been, when the OP showed up at the dining room, instead of telling him that it was only for back to back guests and turning them away, to just admit them and serve them lunch? They are standing there hungry, the dining room is serving lunch, just let them in 🤓

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

How hard would it have been, when the OP showed up at the dining room, instead of telling him that it was only for back to back guests and turning them away, to just admit them and serve them lunch? They are standing there hungry, the dining room is serving lunch, just let them in 🤓

There were probably less than 100 B2B cruiser on that sailing, and presumably the kitchen was staffed and prepared for that number of embarkation day lunches.  If the OP was allowed entry, what would prevent the remaining 300+ concierge passengers from also demanding their MD lunch as well?

I like @the penguins take on all this - that Celebrity offering a substitute Concierge lunch, while not ideal, it's at least an effort to accommodate that group of passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Just out of curiosity, what time did the ship leave?  

I know when they started back up in St. Maartin in 2021 the ship left at 10pm so that people could, if they wanted, comfortably fly in the day of the cruise.  They also moved the concierge lunch since it was very possible that many booking it would miss it.  However, they made that clear in advance that they were doing that.

And for what it's worth, of all the Alaska ports that I've visited, Icy Straights is the least interesting, to me anyway.

Ship left at 6pm. The zipline there is awesome and I have seen whales breaching while I was walking the shoreline. Not interesting to you but it is for many. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

On Silhouette as I write. 
We were late bookers for this cruise, and in Concierge Class, for what it is worth. When we checked in, all the early boarding slots were taken , so no lunch for us! Something seems to be wrong here; when advertised as a perk of your fare, one expects to get this.

Breakfast in the main restaurant is an utter shambles; we queued for 20 minutes this morning. Anytime dining in the evening not too much better. In our cabin it says, Concierge Class have priority seating in MDR, but there is certainly no evidence of that.

We have one more cruise booked on Celebrity, fortunately in a higher grade cabin. It maybe our last.

Our boarding time was 1pm but when I called Celebrity told us to show up early and we could board early because of lunch. We took the train to get to Seward for early arrival. Had considered bus but it wouldn't arrive until 2:30. Train was beautiful and I don't regret taking it but I have ridden this train twice before and could have taken the bus for half the price and arrived later had I know lunch was not to take place 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just returned from 15 nights on Apex and found the quality of food at the Spa has declined over previous years. One morning went for breakfast and had a bagel with peanut butter and apple which was dry and stale so threw out and opted for cereal. One day lunchtime had the chicken salad also tasteless compared to other cruises. Think they are using a lower quality salad dressing not sure but it used to be very good. If Concierge lunch is no longer offered I won't book that category any longer. I really look forward to the lunch as not a buffet person and being Elite plus don't care about the extra points. 

• Like 1

We booked concierge for our next cruise on Connie out of Tampa Feb 2024, mainly for the embarcation lunch. We were very disappointed with lunch offering on our last cruise (Edge out of Fort Lauderdale Feb 2023). The Mast Grill was horrible, Spa Cafe was closed, buffet was not yet open. 

When we booked our 2024 cruise Concierge class ws only $45 more than verandah. We figured the embarcation lunch would be a nice touch. Hopefully it will be available for our next cruise. We really don't need an event during the cruise to meet fellow concierge passengers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Last year this side of the pond, the Concierge Lunch (on Silhouette) wasn't on embarkation but on the first sea day. We were handed the Concierge menu along with the MDR menu and seated away from the rest of the diners.

Regards,

Cublet

that was pretty standard as the ships will all restarting and there were staffing issues.  All of the sailing we have been on since last fall have had the lunch on embarkation day.

Okay update. Sincere apologies from Concierge staff. They said they will pass along our concern and understand the exclusivity of this boarding day lunch if you have paid for Concierge Class. We were offered dinner for 2 in Tuscany Grill or Seafood Buffet and we are more than happy with the resolution. Having complimentary dinner in Tuscany Grill due to miscommunication with staff. Concierge said he would have let us eat with B2B diners and was sorry we were turned away. Shout out to Melvin and staff for making it right! Thank you to everyone who weighed in. 😊

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, mic123 said:

Another tradition is the nightly (elite) happy hour which they have now kind of done away with (depending on number of people).  We loved getting dressed up and going to that event each night.

I'm hoping all these things will be in place for our trip in January

I'm not sure what you're talking about but the Elite Happy Hour was Never 'done away' with but has been PERMANENTLY altered to be available at all bars except for a select few. It will NEVER RETURN to it being a private event in the Sky Lounge. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the Elite event reappearing based on the number of Elite and higher since the event never was eliminated but instead was it changed. Your information is all totally incorrect.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about but the Elite Happy Hour was Never 'done away' with but has been PERMANENTLY altered to be available at all bars except for a select few. It will NEVER RETURN to it being a private event in the Sky Lounge. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the Elite event reappearing based on the number of Elite and higher since the event never was eliminated but instead was it changed. Your information is all totally incorrect.  

Well, they had it in the sky lounge on our last cruise on Reflection last year so my information is not “totally” incorrect.  Having it available at all bars really isn’t any perk or incentive if you have a beverage package.

6 minutes ago, mic123 said:

Well, they had it in the sky lounge on our last cruise on Reflection last year so my information is not “totally” incorrect.  Having it available at all bars really isn’t any perk or incentive if you have a beverage package.

Are you implying that on your cruise the Elite happy hour was ONLY in the Sky Lounge and it wasn't available at all bars? If so to me that would be a setback. 

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Are you implying that on your cruise the Elite happy hour was ONLY in the Sky Lounge and it wasn't available at all bars? If so to me that would be a setback. 

And did they have passed hors d'oevres?