Don't expect your concierge embarkation lunch.

Tricia28

Just boarded the Millenium in Seward. We took the train to get in early for the concierge  embarkation lunch as it's something my husband and I really enjoy on our first day. We usually never visit the buffet on our cruises at all. Personal preference. When we boarded at noon we went to guest relations and asked where and what time the lunch was taking place. After much back and forth between 3 guest agents they told us to go to our cabin, drop our bags and the information should be with our keys. Once in the room and finding no info we went to Deck 5. The Maitre'd sent us to deck 4. Once there we saw people being seated but we were denied entry and told that lunch was only for back to back cruisers. He said our lunch was on day 5 in Icy Strait Point. We went back to guest relations and now the story was people would miss it because they wouldn't arrive in time so they cancelled it. I asked how many people would miss it when it was in the middle of the day while in port! Sorry but that's ridiculous. They were already serving lunch for b2b cruisers. Another way to cut costs because people won't come back to the ship in the middle.of a port day to have lunch. Less food budget for Celebrity. My husband was pretty pissed because this was a selling point when we upgraded. Let's face it, he could care less about a pillow menu and upgraded toiletries. Waiting to hear back from guest relations now. Not happy at all. And before the "flaming" starts. Yes we will still enjoy our cruise. It won't ruin our day but I hate paying money for something promised and not delivered. Day 5 is not an embarkation lunch.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I would also be pissed.  If they promise it, they should deliver it.

On my only cruise in a suite, we got to the ship early so we could have lunch in Luminae.  When we arrived, we were told it was closed , since they were installing new furniture that day.  We were not happy.

Back in the day, we used to enjoy going to Bistro on Five on embarkation day for a nice, leisurely lunch.  We are not big fans of going to the crowded buffet on embarkation day.   

• Like 5

Tricia ~ I can understand your disappointment.  It almost seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  My suggestion is going back to Guest Services and ask to schedule an appointment with the hotel director (maybe do this tomorrow morning when the frustration subsides).  Politely let them know you only want to talk the hotel director and only the hotel director (they'll try to get you to talk to the guest relations manager).  While nothing can be done since embarkation lunch time has come and gone, it's the hotel director that needs to hear from you and why it upset you.  They are the top person in Hotel Operations on the ship.  I don't do this very often but if it's something really bugging me, I will.  

To some, it may seem silly to be upset, but I get it.  If you don't feel it's necessary to talk to them tomorrow, that's fine, too.  Just know it's your best option if you want to be heard....in a nice way, of course.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

While I've had Concierge and not taken them up on this 'perk' it is not right for things to be listed as 'pluses' and not offered.

I think what is most disheartening reading stuff like this is if it becomes more normalized for 'Celebrity' to shrug it off.  The practice of not delivering on what is promised, no matter the perceived worth, is not okay.

Managing expectations 101.

• Like 12

Just out of curiosity, what time did the ship leave?  

I know when they started back up in St. Maartin in 2021 the ship left at 10pm so that people could, if they wanted, comfortably fly in the day of the cruise.  They also moved the concierge lunch since it was very possible that many booking it would miss it.  However, they made that clear in advance that they were doing that.

And for what it's worth, of all the Alaska ports that I've visited, Icy Straights is the least interesting, to me anyway.

I would be irritated as well.  While our main reason for booking concierge is the extra per night points, we truly look forward to the embarkation lunch (and the sparkling wine as silly as that sounds) to get our trip started.  It's a tradition with me, my daughter and my mom. 

Another tradition is the nightly (elite) happy hour which they have now kind of done away with (depending on number of people).  We loved getting dressed up and going to that event each night.

I'm hoping all these things will be in place for our trip in January.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

One incident on one ship is not indicative of a pattern.

That is, of course, true. But the only pattern I care about is the one on my ship on my cruise...

• Like 16

We board the Millennium on June 16 in a concierge cabin. While I didn’t book this because of the lunch (I like the slightly larger rooms on M class), I find myself annoyed at this. I’m glad you posted this because I will plan on a larger breakfast on the train from Anchorage to Seward. Couple this with the fact that several classic desserts are no longer available, along with some other changes, irritates me, maybe more than it should. I’m sure we have a great time, but, where do these cuts stop?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mic123 said:

Another tradition is the nightly (elite) happy hour which they have now kind of done away with (depending on number of people).  We loved getting dressed up and going to that event each night.

I'm hoping all these things will be in place for our trip in January.

At this point, I wouldn't count on the nightly thing.  It hasn't been brought back on any cruise, nor has the cruise critic connections party.  Originally they said Covid because of crowds, yet even then they had silent disco.

• Like 1

On our Seward to Vancouver cruise last September, the Concierge luncheon was indeed on Icy Strait Point day. We had to rush back from our shore excursion. We were not happy. And the lunch was not great at all. Very disappointed. Also our Concierge class canapés everyday were horrible, almost inedible. We wrote that on our surveys but I guess it still going on. 😕

• Like 2

Maybe we need a list of ships and what they are currently offering and not offering.  From food quality to you name it, it seems to be all over the place.  Perhaps a sticky on the top of the board for each ship.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

I suspect it's simpler then all that.  It seems that if a ship leaves after about 6 or so, you get the lunch later.

It looks like the Mille leaves Vancouver at 5 pm, so concierge lunch on embarkation day.  It leaves Seward at 7, so it's later in the cruise.  Where I fault them is that the OP didn't know that - it would have been so much better if it' had been communicated in advance.

• Like 1

Hello,

Last year this side of the pond, the Concierge Lunch (on Silhouette) wasn't on embarkation but on the first sea day. We were handed the Concierge menu along with the MDR menu and seated away from the rest of the diners.

Regards,

Cublet

2 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Last year this side of the pond, the Concierge Lunch (on Silhouette) wasn't on embarkation but on the first sea day. We were handed the Concierge menu along with the MDR menu and seated away from the rest of the diners.

Regards,

Cublet

What was embarakation time, if you remember?

9 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

My bad.  (It's late here) I meant what time did the ship leave?

Hello,

Sorry I cannot remember exactly but I would say either 4.00 or 6.00 pm.

Regards,

Cublet

• Thanks 1