Don't expect your concierge embarkation lunch.

Tricia28

I think part of the problem is the over selling of Concierge, especially on E class ships where they need to give Concierge for Infinite Verandah rooms to help them sell.

We were on the Edge in March to Panama Canal and friends had Concierge, we did not as we were in SV

They went to the Concierge lunch and said first of all it was packed, and secondly they were kind of forgotten and it took them over 2 hours to eat (we went to the buffet and had a great lunch within 30 minutes)

We're in Concierge class on our next cruise as we have been on some earlier cruises.

While we enjoy the sit down lunch on embarkation day, this single item does not make it break out cruise.

We are flattered by the bottle of sparkling wine offered to us when crossing in Concierge and Aqua, but as we're not fond of dry (sour) wines our cruise isn't ruined it we forget to have the bottle or if it's not delivered to our room.

Actually, we appreciate that each feel safe cruise is unique and even if Celebrity Cruises and the onboard staff work hard to make everything happen as in the brochure in a world full of supply chain issues and shortstaffing in the hospitality industry makes an impact. But, once on the ship we're on a cruise and it's so much better than being home 😉

So, no complaints from us 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:44 AM, the penguins said:

the original post was regarding boarding day. We have no need of "meat and 2 veg " on boarding day lunchtime (or any other lunchtime for that matter). Once on board our routine is:

1) drop off bags.

2) complete life boat drill by going to appropriate station.

3) Cafe Al Bacio (latte and pot of tea) plus a couple of buns.

4) Spa Cafe as it's quiet and away from the crowds - the selection of little snacks is all we need.

Spa Cafe on the Reflection was closed during embarkation day.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:02 PM, LadyL1 said:

On Silhouette as I write. 
We were late bookers for this cruise, and in Concierge Class, for what it is worth. When we checked in, all the early boarding slots were taken , so no lunch for us! Something seems to be wrong here; when advertised as a perk of your fare, one expects to get this.

Breakfast in the main restaurant is an utter shambles; we queued for 20 minutes this morning. Anytime dining in the evening not too much better. In our cabin it says, Concierge Class have priority seating in MDR, but there is certainly no evidence of that.

We have one more cruise booked on Celebrity, fortunately in a higher grade cabin. It maybe our last.

That’s unfortunate, but hopefully when you move to another line (maybe) then hope it meets your needs.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:02 PM, Host Anne said:

Tricia ~ I can understand your disappointment.  It almost seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  My suggestion is going back to Guest Services and ask to schedule an appointment with the hotel director (maybe do this tomorrow morning when the frustration subsides).  Politely let them know you only want to talk the hotel director and only the hotel director (they'll try to get you to talk to the guest relations manager).  While nothing can be done since embarkation lunch time has come and gone, it's the hotel director that needs to hear from you and why it upset you.  They are the top person in Hotel Operations on the ship.  I don't do this very often but if it's something really bugging me, I will.  

To some, it may seem silly to be upset, but I get it.  If you don't feel it's necessary to talk to them tomorrow, that's fine, too.  Just know it's your best option if you want to be heard....in a nice way, of course.

Exactly this ^^^^^,

My approach when dining is not what I expect or desire... which is not all that often!!!

Things change after a brief and quick conversation... it does help when I provide the positives in the same conversation, too... that way it is not a full blown complaint session... LOL

Thank you for the sage advice which many of us may forget to do...

bon voyage

• Like 2

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

That's very sad news as our next cruise is on Reflection.

Hello,

I am about to depart for Southampton and Silhouette.

The 'app', that I regard with healthy scepticism, shows the Spa Cafe as closed today. Maybe.

But from memory it is not an 'enclosed' venue - ie with doors to enter, so one should at least be able to sit there but not enjoy the likes of five different varieties of lettuce.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

The 'app', that I regard with healthy scepticism, shows the Spa Cafe as closed today. Maybe.

But from memory it is not an 'enclosed' venue - ie with doors to enter, so one should at least be able to sit there but not enjoy the likes of five different varieties of lettuce.

Regards,

Cublet

Never had the 5 lettuce option, the various fish dishes and fruits are good enough for us.

Hope it's open.

If you have a moment to spare and Julie is the Director of Guest Relations please stop by and say hello from us (The crazy Brits Geoff and Anita).

If you know her she is still not able to eat chocolate but she loves Pringles.

If you don't know her you will at least hear her every day as she is also "the voice in the lifts".

Don't miss her performance in Liars Club.

Have a great cruise. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

8 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

c - have a good boarding!!!!

bon appetit and bon voyage

On 6/3/2023 at 10:08 PM, mic123 said:

Well, they had it in the sky lounge on our last cruise on Reflection last year 

And at most other bars from 5-7.  You  a get the HH drinks there but in our experience the Sky Lounge is open to all passengers not restricted to just Elite and above.

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

And at most other bars from 5-7.  You  a get the HH drinks there but in our experience the Sky Lounge is open to all passengers not restricted to just Elite and above.

EXACTLY. 

15 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

Good luck sitting there..card players have taken it over,..if Cafe is  open, we often have to juggle plates on our loungers

On 6/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, mic123 said:

Well, they had it in the sky lounge on our last cruise on Reflection last year so my information is not “totally” incorrect.  Having it available at all bars really isn’t any perk or incentive if you have a beverage package.

Have many nights did you see hors d'oevres passed out in the sky lounge and did you go any nights that they did NOT passed them out?

I do wish X had better pre-sail communication with passengers; you could imagine if more Concierge passengers knew for sure their lunch on embarkation day won't be the MDR but rather the buffet, mast grill or paid sushi, they have the option to not board the ship until later and explore the area (if they wish)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I do wish X had better pre-sail communication with passengers; you could imagine if more Concierge passengers knew for sure their lunch on embarkation day won't be the MDR but rather the buffet, mast grill or paid sushi, they have the option to not board the ship until later and explore the area (if they wish)

I can’t imagine foregoing exploring a city  in order to board early for lunch in the MDR.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Good luck sitting there..card players have taken it over,..if Cafe is  open, we often have to juggle plates on our loungers

This!!! Card players seem to have taken over All the tables Everywhere All at once! (Yes, I am exaggerating for dramatic effect 😜.) But seriously, especially on sea days, Soooo many card players take up otherwise available tables in public spaces (Oceanview, Al Baccio, Spa Cafe, Solarium, etc) for Hours. IMHO, this is often inconsiderate.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

This!!! Card players seem to have taken over All the tables Everywhere All at once! (Yes, I am exaggerating for dramatic effect 😜.) But seriously, especially on sea days, Soooo many card players take up otherwise available tables in public spaces (Oceanview, Al Baccio, Spa Cafe, Solarium, etc) for Hours. IMHO, this is often inconsiderate.

That would be a time to get to know the Manager where you wish to sit and eat... become their best friend on your sailing and voila, good things will happen for you...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

dm - actually, my comment was for you to win....

I'll only book concierge if an upgrade from a veranda at the same price or very little more. For example last fall upgraded to Concierge sunset veranda middle of deck 10 on Equinox for $100 canadian for a 10 night cruise.  Better sail away views than from the  Helipad. 

• Like 3

This is all extremely disheartening.

I HATE eating in the buffet.  Not a relaxing meal.  Food picked over by others.  Nothing seems appetizing by the time you get to your table.  One of the two of us is always away from the table finding more food.  You can stand in line an interminable amount of time waiting on the pasta guy.  And so on.

On Princess, they have the MDR OPEN for embarkation day lunch for ANYBODY who knows that it's open (they don't publicize it much so only a percentage of the ship takes advantage).

On Celebrity, we often book Concierge--though we get very little in the way of benefits over a standard balcony.  So, we consider that embarkation day lunch, perhaps, the most valuable benefit of Concierge.

It's NOT that it's a lunch.  We get lunch on the ship anyway.  On at sea days, we get it in the MDR anyway.  On port days, we're usually NOT onboard anyway.  So, substituting another lunch, to us, is worthless.

Now, since the pandemic, we've been in suites or Aqua...BUT, upcoming in March/April, we have back-to-back Japan cruises in CONCIERGE cabins.  We originally booked in 2019 and got lifted-and-shifted severl times...SO, clearly, we booked Concierge counting on this particular amenity.  And, yes, at least for now, we'll get lunch in the MDR for the second cruise because we'll be B2B...but I still want that lunch...and want to AVOID THE BUFFET...on embarkation day for the first cruise

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, substituting another lunch, to us, is worthless.

I agree. The whole point of it is that on Embarkation Day the MDR isn't open for any other guests. Shifting it to a sea day, then what's the point?

• Like 2