Shorts in the dinning room

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

Maybe those are the best clothes they own? They might be traveling the world with a backpack. Or had their luggage lost en route.

Or not taught “how to dress” under common perceptions while they were young, or had bad role models. Or maybe they are just non-conforming, “I don’t give a whiff” young people (like 60s hippies?).

🙂 

Maybe. JFI I’m a backpacker and a camper… heck I’m even a climber and ice climber on occasion. I own jeans and shorts with holes… I just see MDRs on ships as a place where such cloth doesn’t belong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Maybe those are the best clothes they own? They might be traveling the world with a backpack. Or had their luggage lost en route.

Or not taught “how to dress” under common perceptions while they were young, or had bad role models. Or maybe they are just non-conforming, “I don’t give a whiff” young people (like 60s hippies?).

image.jpeg.823f44b41ee5a8eb4bf7878eb52f5507.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 1:00 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Depends on the ship.

On Oasis in Park 150 ( nicest dining on the ship) we were sat by 2, 20 something’s who came in basketball shorts, t shirts and slides on their feet.  We were dressed up, jacket for DH, nice dress for me.  It didn’t ruin my dinner….until they started shoving food in their mouths, talking loudly with their mouths open, reaching over and stabbing food off each others plates.  Honestly their manners were disgusting. Maybe appropriate for eating in a frat house but no where else. We finished as quickly as we could and got out.  

A table mate relayed their experience on another ship.  He had wanted it to be a special romantic dinner for his wife complete with champagne.  2 who were sat beside them ( you know how close those tables are to each other) had their phone on to a ball game loudly, no earbuds or headphones.  He complained to the manger quietly but nothing was done.  They left. The next day the manager tried to make it up to them but it was too little too late.  

I don’t care what you wear.  I care more about your actions and behavior in a place that’s supposed to be “special”.  A speciality restaurant on board should feel that way, not like the Golden Corral. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I actually tallied the first 20 men we saw in the MDR last night.  I disregarded teens and children, just counted adults.

8 long pants 

8 dress shorts 

4 basketball shorts 

Not formal night, early sitting.  
BTW my DH was one of the dress shorts worn with a polo type shirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

I actually tallied the first 20 men we saw in the MDR last night.  I disregarded teens and children, just counted adults.

8 long pants 

8 dress shorts 

4 basketball shorts 

Way too much time on your hands. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Way too much time on your hands. 🙃

I guess all those years as a mathematician really warped me!  I count lots of things, drives my husband crazy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, ATG said:

8 long pants 

8 dress shorts 

4 basketball shorts 

20 isn't a fair sample to hang your hat on. I recommend skipping dinner, carrying a clipboard with a preprinted choices to check off. Spend the entire dinner time at the door and record every persons dress for that evening. Only then will your tally have any validity. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

20 isn't a fair sample to hang your hat on. I recommend skipping dinner, carrying a clipboard with a preprinted choices to check off. Spend the entire dinner time at the door and record every persons dress for that evening. Only then will your tally have any validity. 

And to carry it one step further, in order to have a true representative sample, your prescribed method would need to conducted on more than one evening, and also include a formal night to be statistically significant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Photos needed too. Don't forget the photos!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

And to carry it one step further, in order to have a true representative sample, your prescribed method would need to conducted on more than one evening, and also include a formal night to be statistically significant.

Exactly. Plus his wife might have to skip dinner also to cover the 2nd door into the dining. They can always eat later in the Windjammer and wear their pj's for comfort. 

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, molsonschooner said:

that is your opinion, I am glad I am not your grandson.

My grandsons understand that sometimes one must compromise and adhere to the rules.  Fortunately, one is studying at an IVY school to be a vet, and the other works in a field to save our environment.  As their parents, they will be very successful professionals.  

First post in this thread.  I expect to catch flak on both sides.  But this is a viewpoint from the center...

I'll begin by saying that I like to dress up for (what I consider) "formal" events.  There are social norms.  So I understand that viewpoint.

But people are on vacation and have the right to dress the way they want.  We can give them "the look" for breaking the social norms but cannot interfere with their choices.  They are paying passengers just like us.  Their dress should not change the feeling we get while dressing nice.  We can't dictate our habits to other passengers.

I've always viewed Formal Night as a chance to dress up and get pictures taken.  I wonder how many people dressed down buy pictures? 

1 hour ago, MD_Dan said:

First post in this thread.  I expect to catch flak on both sides.  But this is a viewpoint from the center...

I'll begin by saying that I like to dress up for (what I consider) "formal" events.  There are social norms.  So I understand that viewpoint.

But people are on vacation and have the right to dress the way they want.  We can give them "the look" for breaking the social norms but cannot interfere with their choices.  They are paying passengers just like us.  Their dress should not change the feeling we get while dressing nice.  We can't dictate our habits to other passengers.

I've always viewed Formal Night as a chance to dress up and get pictures taken.  I wonder how many people dressed down buy pictures? 

We rarely take advantage of our CAS pictures perk, no matter how we are dressed. For us how we are dressed has nothing to to with getting a picture taken. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Amazing that someone takes time on their vacation to keep a diary of the "inappropriate" clothing seen during dinner.

As has already been said, too much time on their hands.. 😏