Headache Experience Booking with Viking

Concombre

Summary: Extremely unfair policies coupled with poor customer service makes for a nightmarish booking experience.

My partner and I have been on various ocean cruises and have found the Cruise Critic Community extremely helpful on gaining insights on various ships and cruise lines. Based on the recommendation of my mother, we have decided to try river cruising for the first time with Viking. We are having an extremely negative experience with the Viking Reservation team and I was initially hesitant to share it because I didn't want to make the forums overly negative, but I was curious if others had been in similar situations and how they were able to resolve it.

We booked our trip, the Romantic Danube, for October 2023 through a TA from a reputable agency. The TA used my mother's referral code as my mother has traveled on Viking river cruises in the past. My partner's parents also booked the same cruise and used my mother's referral. My friend heard about this trip and spoke to his parents, and his parents also ended up booking a river cruise with my mother's referral code. Although there were no more verandas nor any staterooms available for the time period that worked for both myself and my partner, we were still excited to experience our first river cruise. We fully paid for the cruise almost a month ago and selected our flights. All seemed well until a couple of days ago when my TA called me to tell me that Viking has retroactively reneged on the discounts that were given through referrals, that we now have $200 outstanding for each room, and that the Viking rep said that the reservations will be canceled if it's not paid. My TA has tried to reach out to Viking multiple times but they won't tell her why the referrals were revoked. In desperation she asked me to call to see if they'll at-least tell me the reason.

The first Viking agent I spoke with claimed that the referrals were revoked because the customer ID for the referral was invalid. I double checked with my TA, and she claims that it'd be impossible because when she booked the cruises, the Viking rep asked for confirmation for my mother's name (meaning the ID used was correct and in their system). I called Viking again and this time the agent told me that the referrals were flagged as fraudulent in an audit but he couldn't give me a specific reason why. He connected me to his manager to see if his manager had more information. While unhelpful, the two agents I spoke with previously were at-least polite and inquired about my situation. The manager, however, was very unpleasant and did not even pretend to care. I get that customer facing roles can be stressful, but being rude and condescending does not solve any problems. The manager kept insisting that the referrals were fraudulent and he kept repeating the same sentences over and over again, even when being asked why the referrals were being flagged as fraudulent (he kept repeating that the referrals were marked fraudulent because they were fraudulent, without explaining where the alleged fraud occurred). When being asked whether he can inquire into the cause of why it's marked fraudulent he said no, because it wouldn't matter since the discount will never be reapplied under no circumstances. When being asked if I could speak with someone who is involved with the audits, such as the legal department, instead of giving me a phone number or an email, (I kid you not) he gave me a physical mailing address. It became abundantly clear that Viking does not care about their customers.

Currently, my TA's manager reached out to his contact at Viking, as all of the Viking referral discounts from the travel agency were declared fraudulent. The Viking contact said that Viking claimed to have called a referred passenger and they did not know who referred them. I asked my partner, her parents, as well as the parents of my friend; they all said that Viking had not reached out to them. My hunch is that another referral from the agency had been flagged as fraudulent, and instead of taking the time to verify all the referrals, they just bulk declared that all referrals from the agency were fraudulent. I get that it's just a couple hundred dollars, but I still feel betrayed as Viking had multiple weeks in-between when I first paid the deposit and when I paid the full amount to bring this up, but instead they did it almost a month after we had already paid the full invoice. I feel extorted as now my trip is in jeopardy but I also feel that it's wrong on principle to pay the extra $200 per room, as our referrals were legitimate and had not violated any Viking terms and conditions. Dealing with the Viking customer support manager also left me feeling disgusted at the complete lack of accountability from Viking and left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance.

I’m sorry for your experience but not surprised. There have been many posts on these boards about bad experiences with Viking. Viking advertises the most and a lot of people book with them because they don’t realize there are other companies. Based on what I’ve read on these boards, Viking does well if there aren’t any issues. Unfortunately, their customer service really declines when there are issues. Maybe see if you could cancel for a full refund and check with other companies to see if they have availability on a similar sailing with the same dates so you can keep your air tickets?

• Like 1

Thank you for your response; we definitely should have done more research, as we just booked on a whim based on my mother's recommendation. I think we'll just end up paying the extortion as we have already got everything planned around the trip. I think it's safe to say we'll be avoiding Viking in the near future. Lesson learned!

Sorry about your bad experience.  Accusing new customers of fraud is serious and not a way to garner loyalty.  

The solution, which you've already arrived at, is to not book with Viking in the future.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Can you give another referral number or is it too late? Because I do believe CC members are allowed to give referrals. There’s a thread. 

Viking clamped down on this – and cancelled all the discounts – some years ago.  The referrer must be a personal friend.  It sounds like OP's situation is kosher under Viking's guidelines, so I don't understand why their discounts were flagged.  Switching to a stranger would only make things worse.

• Like 2

I think this issue needs to be addressed by the travel agency.  Unfortunately, you are caught in the middle, but the agency's reputation is on the line, and they need to prove that they followed all of Viking's rules.

I would pay the $200.00 now just to ensure your cruise is safeguarded, but then the agency needs to ask for a formal review and investigation, and perhaps even seek a legal perspective, so that they will not be accused of committing fraud.

I would hope you would then either receive refunds or OBC.  

I am sorry you are angry with Viking, but there are some other issues here that need to be reviewed at a higher level. The Viking manager also has a boss, and a legal department, and they can make some final decisions above his ruling.

If indeed your agency IS committing fraud, then you should ask THEM to pay the $200.00 each as they created the situation. Your recourse then becomes small claims court and a search for a new travel agency.

Hopefully you will have a wonderful cruise--we did the Viking Danube Waltz this past March, and it was wonderful to see all the historic cities like Vienna and Budapest, and learn all about the Habsburg empire.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Viking clamped down on this – and cancelled all the discounts – some years ago.  The referrer must be a personal friend.  It sounds like OP's situation is kosher under Viking's guidelines, so I don't understand why their discounts were flagged.  Switching to a stranger would only make things worse.

Another reason never to use Viking. Their customer service reputation speaks for itself. Unfortunately so many see the glitzy commercials and don’t realize there are several choices at the same price point with better service. 

• Like 4

Really?   I have had many more nightmares with various other cruise lines.   American Queen being one of the very worst.  Uggh...

Possibly the result of post Covid.   So many cutbacks...so many short staff situations.   

Deal with it...or just don't cruise.  There is simply no such thing as a perfect cruise line with perfect service.  

• Like 1

And------------

There are some of us out there who have had NO problems dealing with Viking, enjoy their product very much, and are OK with paying them early (that's what travel insurance is for).  We do not micromanage our finances to the point that missing out on a few months of interest is going to cause us to lose sleep.

Note:  I have been jokingly (I hope) been accused of working for Viking on these boards for supporting them, I do not, but need to pop up when the "Viking is the root of all evil in the world" crowd makes their feelings known!  Just want to be fair.

Thank you @island lady for your perspective

---This concludes the end of my old-man rant-----

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@island lady – as the Host of this forum I am glad that American Queen and American Cruise Line have their own forums [for some historical reason], as IMHO neither of them comes up to the standard we expect of all the European river cruise lines.  

But: @sharkster77 – no matter whether you care about the lost interest on your money, there is no excuse for Viking demanding terms that are less in their customers' interest than every other cruise line.  It appears to me as an arrogant attitude toward their passengers and is the reason that I refused to book a January 2025 itinerary with Viking Ocean; instead I booked an equally appealing itinerary on Windstar and final payment doesn't come up until October 2024 (90 days out).

• Like 4

With all due respect Jazzbeau, if it doesn't bother me that Viking wants final payment far in advance, why should that bother anyone else?  I don't believe Viking is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to book with them.  I love their product and don't mind the payment policy.  If you consider Viking to be arrogant, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Similarly, Viking fans are entitled to like them without being castigated for it.

It's fine to like another product, but the demonization of Viking is not necessary. Just say you like Company X better, but don't categorize Viking patrons as naive, gullible, inferior etc.--NOT saying you, Jazzbeau, have done this, but there is an air of smugness among SOME non-Viking fans.

If Amawaterways or Uniworld or Avalon wanted to spend as much on advertising as Viking, no one is stopping them.  If Viking has created the impression that there are no other river cruise companies out there, that is a marketing strategy that succeeded brilliantly.  

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 6

I’m with Sharkster. Earlier PIF alone is not a strong enough reason to blow off Viking. Plus those of us who like Viking usually have a cruise booked before booking another which entitles you to PIF 6 months before embarkation (if you ask for it). Viking flash sales and promo codes most often cover way more than lost bank interest. Everything about both Viking ocean and river cruises works for us. And anytime we had an issue, Viking customer relations has made good to provide credit. Friends of ours didn’t watch dates on a voucher and lost a lot of money - unfortunate, but the policy was clear - this was not arrogance. And I’m certainly glad we declined the invitation to join other friends on a Vantage river cruise.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

With all due respect Jazzbeau, if it doesn't bother me that Viking wants final payment far in advance, why should that bother anyone else?  I don't believe Viking is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to book with them.  I love their product and don't mind the payment policy.  If you consider Viking to be arrogant, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  Similarly, Viking fans are entitled to like them without being castigated for it.

It's fine to like another product, but the demonization of Viking is not necessary. Just say you like Company X better, but don't categorize Viking patrons as naive, gullible, inferior etc.--NOT saying you, Jazzbeau, have done this, but there is an air of smugness among SOME non-Viking fans.

If Amawaterways or Uniworld or Avalon wanted to spend as much on advertising as Viking, no one is stopping them.  If Viking has created the impression that there are no other river cruise companies out there, that is a marketing strategy that succeeded brilliantly.  

The purpose of the CC community is to educate each other on the options. I’ve been on CC for 25 years. Why are you taking negative criticism towards Viking as a personal insult? 

I’m glad you enjoy Viking. But you’re hijacking OPs thread. She has an issue of Viking advertising a promotion and then reneging. Many lurk on these boards and never post. They have the right to know the options available. 

49 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

The purpose of the CC community is to educate each other on the options. I’ve been on CC for 25 years. Why are you taking negative criticism towards Viking as a personal insult? 

I’m glad you enjoy Viking. But you’re hijacking OPs thread. She has an issue of Viking advertising a promotion and then reneging. Many lurk on these boards and never post. They have the right to know the options available. 

Because the pros and cons of Viking can be outlined without the air of superiority (and implied inferiority of Viking fans).  The pearl-clutching at thought of booking with Viking (GASP!!) is a bit over-the-top.  I take it as an insult because it comes across as one ("how could ANYONE be as foolish as to book with Viking!!!  I would NEVER, NEVER be caught doing that!!")   Excuse the hyperbole--I use it to make my point by exaggeration.

LOVE Avalon, Ama, Uniworld---I don't care if you do.  But don't cast aspersions at those who prefer one company over your favorite.  I personally do not like the French bordello look of the Uniworld ships, but don't hold any opinions about those who do like it.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

With all due respect @sharkster77 [which of course means with no respect...] I was expressing my feeling about Viking and explaining my reasons for not booking with them.  Am I 'less equal' than others in this Animal Farm?

59 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When one posts as “host someone” while expressing a personal opinion it can sometimes lead a reader to suspect that the “seven commandments” have morphed into “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” 

With all due respect, management might consider the use of “host…” for only board logistical or rule related issues and not in personal opinion posts. 

Not my decision.  Management has made it clear [actually stated it in the Guidelines] that Hosts are allowed and encouraged to participate in all forums on Cruise Critic.

"Many of our Hosts contribute to various discussions. They are free to contribute, or not contribute, as they see fit. Their opinions are their own. Cruise Critic does not regulate what the staff says about a location, cruise line, shore excursion or travel provider."
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/#guides_hosts

• Like 1

May I request that on the ‘heart’ thingy there is the capability of inserting an - I don’t like - emoji. As with the last few inclusions I was rapidly forgetting that I was a lady with my pearls, twin set and perfect make up and close to becoming a right termagant. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

May I request that on the ‘heart’ thingy there is the capability of inserting an - I don’t like - emoji. As with the last few inclusions I was rapidly forgetting that I was a lady with my pearls, twin set and perfect make up and close to becoming a right termagant. 

I think I know the answer to this:  this is a third-party IT website package, so things like the emoji menu aren't customized for Cruise Critic.  [Otherwise they would have eliminated the 'poop' one that gets posts pulled for vulgarity...]

To the OP I’m sorry for your bad experience.  I hope you end up having a great time.  I understand completely how issues like you experienced can leave a bad taste in your mouth so to speak.  Sometimes it’s the smaller amounts of money at issue that can be more aggravating and feel petty.  

As a nearly 22 year member of cruise critic I have learned that I don’t hold much weight in the opinions of contributors who defend a cruise line at all costs.  Most companies (and people) make mistakes at some point along the way.  It’s how they respond and manage those mistakes that determine whether or not I frequent or use them again.  That is why having so many options is wonderful!  I appreciate hearing your experience. 

• Like 1

Perfection doesn’t exist. Quality to me is based on what a person or business does when an error or problem occurs, at least as much as whether or not one had occurred (although I obviously prefer no problem). Which is why we have been Viking fans, and we still are, although we had a recent incident when the service we received was not what we had come to expect. (If I remember correctly, it was the first instance that we dealt with someone at manager level because the person who was our initial contact could not handle the issue, which seems to parallel what happened to OP.)

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

With all due respect @sharkster77 [which of course means with no respect...] I was expressing my feeling about Viking and explaining my reasons for not booking with them.  Am I 'less equal' than others in this Animal Farm?

I appreciate all that you do for this website and respect you and your opinions.  When I say "with all due respect" I mean it---please do not read snark into my comments towards you--none are intended.

You, Jazzbeau, have expressed your opinions RE:  Viking without the snarky tone that others have used.  I am simply asking those who like other cruise lines to express their opinions without denigrating those who like a different cruise line--that's all.

I am not angry with you at all, or anyone else, to be honest.  More like a bit annoyed.  Please don't read more into my comments than I have intended.

Since my comments have gotten 'likes', apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Edited by sharkster77