No Buffet Seating

WestCoast505

On 12/18/2023 at 11:45 AM, sanger727 said:

I've never been on a cruise where there wasn't sufficient seating if you were willing to go outside. 

On at least two and a half of my four cruises this year, sitting outside wasn't an attractive option:  Iceland/Greenland was too cool, Japan was too rainy about half of the time, and the Transatlantic was windy and cool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On HAL it is common to see folks sitting in the Lido playing cards, knitting, reading, etc.  While there are other places around the ship with comfy seating, many seem to prefer being near coffee/tea.  On HAL this means staying in the Lido or heading to the Crows Nest.  On the Sky Princess, there are quite a few places with coffee drinks (Princess Live Bar, International Cafe, Catch by Rudi, or the Lido).

I can't remember if you've been on one of HAL's Pinnacle class ships, but the Dutch cafe in the middle of the Promenade deck helps with that problem. In addition to dispensing various specialty coffees and teas, they have Dutch pastries and light sandwiches (along with HAL's famed pea soup). Makes it more feasible to sit in one of the neighboring areas and still have access to (good) coffee & tea. I remember seeing a large knitting group every morning in the Ocean bar. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't remember if you've been on one of HAL's Pinnacle class ships, but the Dutch cafe in the middle of the Promenade deck helps with that problem. In addition to dispensing various specialty coffees and teas, they have Dutch pastries and light sandwiches (along with HAL's famed pea soup). Makes it more feasible to sit in one of the neighboring areas and still have access to (good) coffee & tea. I remember seeing a large knitting group every morning in the Ocean bar. 

Nope, have not been on any of the Pinnacle or Signature Class.  Our love of HAL was based on their smaller ships (the Prinsendam had been one of our favorite ships).  If, and when they get their act together (primarily on the entertainment issue) we would consider trying one of their larger vessels.  

15 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

The ship I manage has no buffet seating at all.

We have no buffets - except the Deck BBQ.

All food is ala Carte, ala Minute, served wherever and whenever you like.

No seating issues.

This reminds me of the story about the 2 guys in a rowboat in the middle of a huge lake who get directionally disoriented.  They see a hot air balloon and wave their arms to get it's attention.  They call up to the balloon and say, "Where are we?". 

The balloonist replies, "You're in a rowboat in the middle of the lake."

One of the guys in the rowboat says, "Are you an actuary?"

"Why yes I am, how did you know?"

"Because your answer was precisely correct and perfectly irrelevant to the question"

😉 

-retired actuary

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

This reminds me of the story about the 2 guys in a rowboat in the middle of a huge lake who get directionally disoriented.  They see a hot air balloon and wave their arms to get it's attention.  They call up to the balloon and say, "Where are we?". 

The balloonist replies, "You're in a rowboat in the middle of the lake."

One of the guys in the rowboat says, "Are you an actuary?"

"Why yes I am, how did you know?"

"Because your answer was precisely correct and perfectly irrelevant to the question"

😉

-retired actuary

Actuary says to always carry a bomb at the airport because the odds of two people boarding with a bomb are pretty low.  That is my one and only actuary joke!  😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, klfrodo said:

I see.

I guess if what that family is choosing to do goes against your customs and culture, then THEY must be the backwards logic ones. THEY are wrong and infringing on YOUR rights.

I can see how we got where we are AGAIN!

A culture that goes to a dining room and hogs a dining table to play games is a very rude culture.  So yes, let me be clear, THEY are wrong.  Period.  Sorry you can't understand that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

A culture that goes to a dining room and hogs a dining table to play games is a very rude culture.  So yes, let me be clear, THEY are wrong.  Period.  Sorry you can't understand that.

This is exactly the point.  These people are rude, period.  Nothing can excuse that, and cruiselines need to move these people on if they're too dumb to figure it out.  There have to be hundreds of places to gather and do whatever you want to do on a cruiseship.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I think we might all agree this is not a cultural thing.  I have seen buffet tables used for cards or other games, but usually off hours when there lots of other tables.  I never saw it as a major factor in buffet crowding until I read these threads.  Been lucky I guess.   

• Like 1

We cruised Grandeur in October, and we particularly enjoyed the barstool seating facing out towards the ocean.  It's perfect for individuals eating alone, though once chose to sit together at the ocean-view bar (this was during a mid-day storm at sea, and it was quite a show!).  These seats were almost always available.  I wish Royal would incorporate this type of seating into other ships.  

Sorry my picture isn't opening ... please click on the file, and you'll see a picture of what I mean.  Few Royal ships have this feature. 

Grandeur.avif

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, ldubs said:

I think we might all agree this is not a cultural thing.  I have seen buffet tables used for cards or other games, but usually off hours when there lots of other tables.  I never saw it as a major factor in buffet crowding until I read these threads.  Been lucky I guess.   

It seems to vary, not just from ship to ship, but also based on itinerary.  The worst lido problems we have noticed, have happened on longer HAL voyages which seem to attract an older crowd (normal with long cruises) that prefer to stay indoors.  Too many decide to make the lido their daytime home and do not leave.  At the later breakfast times, and during lunch, tables can be at a premium.  It is not a good picture to see folks knitting and playing cards, while others are wandering around with plates of food trying to find a place.

Each cruise line has their own way of handling crowds, and we see pros/cons on nearly every vessel.  After 50 years of extensive cruising, we have yet to see a ship with what we would consider a perfect design, but it is always fun to go on a ship for the first time and see how it compares.   The new Explora Journeys ships are remaking the mold in that they do not even have a main dining room or a true main showroom.  An interesting design. 

Hank

• Like 2

We never eat at standard times. I am an early riser so like 5AM I am hunting food, and often in bed by 8. So even dinner is often at 3 for us. We only eat at ez places, never a place requiring dressing up.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, Hlitner said:

we have yet to see a ship with what we would consider a perfect design,

If people start to play cards, knit, whatever, I can see a staff member coming up and in a very polite but firm tone saying "I'm sorry folks but we ask that passengers leave the food tables once they're finished eating." And then just stand there.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

If people start to play cards, knit, whatever, I can see a staff member coming up and in a very polite but firm tone saying "I'm sorry folks but we ask that passengers leave the food tables once they're finished eating." And then just stand there.

I understand the idea, but HAL crew will seldom confront a passenger.  Just like they do very little to deal with chair hogs on deck, they do little to handle the Lido issue.  I cannot recall ever being on any ship where folks were asked to leave Lido tables except when the venue was being closed.

In fact, it is a rarity to see crew on any line, confront a passenger.  We were pleasantly surprised on our recent Explora 1 cruise when we saw a Lido manager eject two ladies who had dared to come into the Lido wearing their robes (we call those folks "robe people").  It was fun to watch, and the two ladies were red-faced!  I do not think that luxury line would tolerate card playing or knitting in their Lido.  And being a new cruise line, they actually have the audacity to enforce their policies.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I understand the idea, but HAL crew will seldom confront a passenger.  Just like they do very little to deal with chair hogs on deck, they do little to handle the Lido issue.  I cannot recall ever being on any ship where folks were asked to leave Lido tables except when the venue was being closed.

In fact, it is a rarity to see crew on any line, confront a passenger.  We were pleasantly surprised on our recent Explora 1 cruise when we saw a Lido manager eject two ladies who had dared to come into the Lido wearing their robes (we call those folks "robe people").  It was fun to watch, and the two ladies were red-faced!  I do not think that luxury line would tolerate card playing or knitting in their Lido.  And being a new cruise line, they actually have the audacity to enforce their policies.

Hank

Then I would suggest that passengers either work for change or stop complaining.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

Then I would suggest that passengers either work for change or stop complaining.

LOL, I do think that some do think that the way to get change is to complain!  For us, we got tired of complaining and have simply taken our business elsewhere, at least for now.  My thinking has always been to vote with my money.   What I have never understood is when folks constantly whine about a cruise line and keep booking that same line.  

Hank

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, I do think that some do think that the way to get change is to complain!  For us, we got tired of complaining and have simply taken our business elsewhere, at least for now.  My thinking has always been to vote with my money.   What I have never understood is when folks constantly whine about a cruise line and keep booking that same line.  

Hank

Seconded.   

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I am convinced there are a large number for which complaining is a pastime.  Or, perhaps just an involuntary habit.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1