Next HAL ship

philbob84

Personally, I hope HAL never goes the "ship within a ship" route, especially on the Pinnacle class ships.  I'm egalitarian enough that I can do without the artificial distinctions of a "privileged" class of passengers.

HAL by its reputation as for "newlyweds and nearly deads" keeps the "party people" mostly at bay, so there's no need for a special retreat for the Eloi above us Morlocks.  We do use the correct fork at dinner service, dontchaknow!

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, mowogo said:

Change some of the meeting rooms into a WeWork style facility.  Rather than try and deal with upgrading the cabins so a small percentage of guests can work, convert space to where guests that want dedicated space to work can work. Some people will want to work in a room with a view, and some of the lounges can easily accommodate that already. The key will be to provide options not dictate where and how people can work while at sea.   

That's an excellent idea.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh dear. Now I am going to get called on the carpet by the numbers experts.... 😨.

This was not any kind of spreadsheet analysis, just "back of envelope" figuring. I just wanted to see for myself since so many people talk about suites and why aren't they offered more perks.

I made a few basic rules. I did not include the 2 remaining smaller ships as they, being older, have a very different ratio of available cabins. I looked for ships that were sailing very similar "basic" itineraries (e.g., comparable 7-day Alaska or Caribbean itineraries) within the same month, rather than one-off or very popular itineraries (e.g., Voyage of Vikings and similar). 

I picked one ship per class (e.g., one Pinnacle, one Vista-class, etc.) where I could. Cabin sizes per category varied across the spectrum so I generally picked the smallest square footage when a range was given. (E.g., if an inside category was listed as 151 to 223 sq feet, I chose 151; if a Neptune suite was listed at 500-712 sq feet, I chose 500).

I did not compare all categories. As I said, this was just a small exercise to get a ballpark. I'm not into this stuff, I'm a word person. I'll bet there are HAL afficionados out there who can cherry pick numbers that will look different. My point was merely that OFTEN prices are in line with the square footage of the "real estate".

I didn't keep the numbers but as someone else said, I posted some of them in an earlier post on the topic.

Oh dear- I was NOT calling you out at all, just curious. I thought the little “study” was interesting. Please accept my apologies. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lizinindy said:

A quiet place with no music..couldn't find a single spot on our NA cruise...had my book in hand and wandered endlessly looking for quiet

I know the feeling and me thinks they play music loud for crew to be happy. I notice more of them seem happier if they have a job of just observing or cleaning as the music keeps them happy.

we paying passengers have to deal with it.

Has been very lacking is  good entertainment for the World Stage . We would like to see a occasional show with  a cast ,liking to a broadway play .Then add individual artists like a singer who is really good ,magician ,Comedians  ie  ./Add a  pickle board court  & ,minture golf  on the very top deck 

Bt all means keep the passenger flow designed so it never feels over crowded 

On 6/26/2023 at 9:20 AM, erdufylla said:

And this is the perfect example of how different people want different things. I love a smaller ship and seeing people again and again, and making friends with people on board. For me, that *is* having a good time. 🙂 

I would also never get on a ship that removed the MDR to expand the Lido. I eat at the Lido as a last resort — when timing doesn’t allow for me to go to the MDR.  I like the slower pace of seated dining, but I don’t want to always have to pay extra for speciality dining just to get that. The chaos of the Lido puts me in an anxious mood, and the food generally isn’t as good as what I can get in the MDR. 

I guess it's about about why you cruise. I cruise for the ports and exploring the various cultures and history at each port. I see a ship more as a ferry that provides transportation and sustinence. I find the MDR a stressful experience: meeting new people every night, watching what I say, what we talk about, ugh. Give me a buffet so I can just load my plate up and eat quietly in the corner.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I guess it's about about why you cruise. I cruise for the ports and exploring the various cultures and history at each port. I see a ship more as a ferry that provides transportation and sustinence. I find the MDR a stressful experience: meeting new people every night, watching what I say, what we talk about, ugh. Give me a buffet so I can just load my plate up and eat quietly in the corner.

I too cruise for ports.  And that is why I would like a smaller ship like the Elegant Explorer - she went to many ports that the other ships couldn’t. ( Pinnacle ships in particular can’t get to too many or require a ridiculously long ride. ) Her itineraries were wonderful.  I know that ship won’t happen but it would be nice.

And yes, her cruises were pricier and many of us were happy to pay it. 😉 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I too cruise for ports.  And that is why I would like a smaller ship like the Elegant Explorer - she went to many ports that the other ships couldn’t. ( Pinnacle ships in particular can’t get to too many or require a ridiculously long ride. ) Her itineraries were wonderful.  I know that ship won’t happen but it would be nice.

And yes, her cruises were pricier and many of us were happy to pay it. 😉 

We never sailed on Prinsendam, but would have liked to.  Today to get that same size/itineraries we would need to sail another cruise line.  Luckily there are dozens to pick from.  Azamara and Oceania hit that mark, but I am instead looking at niche market cruises for every other year or so, like Paul Gauguin for the South Pacific Islands of French Polynesia. (It is pricey though).

That said....Having become a four star on HAL, we appreciate the extra perks and perhaps that keeps us semi-brand loyal.  

9 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

...That said....Having become a four star on HAL, we appreciate the extra perks and perhaps that keeps us semi-brand loyal.  

Also 4* and enjoying the perks while looking forward to 5* (realistically may never get there), I have about 40 days on Carnival and slightly more on Princess, but am also trying to stay brand loyal to HAL. I find the smaller ship size and smaller number of "underage" passengers result in a more enjoyable cruise experience. 

Other smaller or more specialized lines are outside my budget, so that also helps me stay loyal. I have found Club Orange a real benefit for maximizing my budget by way of the cabin upgrade. I've spent years just blindly paying for the cabin I wanted; glad I know better now. 🙄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Also 4* and enjoying the perks while looking forward to 5* (realistically may never get there), I have about 40 days on Carnival and slightly more on Princess, but am also trying to stay brand loyal to HAL. I find the smaller ship size and smaller number of "underage" passengers result in a more enjoyable cruise experience. 

Other smaller or more specialized lines are outside my budget, so that also helps me stay loyal. I have found Club Orange a real benefit for maximizing my budget by way of the cabin upgrade. I've spent years just blindly paying for the cabin I wanted; glad I know better now. 🙄

What is the going price on Club Orange for non-Pinnacle and Pinnacle ships?  

45 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

The ship is not the destination for me, either, it is my mode of transportation; although I do want to enjoy my time while on it. I do a mix of MDR and Lido because sometimes I just want to be stationary for a meal. Saying "no sharing" allows me to just eat quietly, as you say, without navigating lines and people.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I find the MDR a stressful experience: meeting new people every night, watching what I say, what we talk about, ugh. Give me a buffet so I can just load my plate up and eat quietly in the corner.

And especially stressful if you have a hearing problem, (with hearing aids even), because with the noise all you can do is nod occasionally, chuckle when others laugh and hope like crazy no one asks you a question as you sit there with a blank look on your face with the whole table goes quiet and stares at you.  Unfortunately, mobility issues frequently accompany hearing ones so port visits and buffets can be difficult as well but enjoying the sea and reading with occasional room service, make the whole thing worthwhile.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2023 at 10:22 PM, cbr663 said:

HAL's successful introduction of the Star Link Internet on the Koningsdam is a potential breakthrough for HAL to attract a new cruiser - the working cruiser.

On 6/25/2023 at 10:22 PM, cbr663 said:

Imagine if HAL could rebrand itself as the most technological ships at sea.  

Royal Caribbean introduced starlink back in September of 2022 I believe, and most if not all of their fleet has it by now. Just due to bandwidth availability and latency at a much lower cost than O3B it will become standard on every cruise line. So the "working cruiser" will have the same Starlink availability on pretty much every line. It is still satellite internet though, so although a good leap forward from MEO satellites, it still does not have the stability and dependability of shore based systems.

I know RCG and CCL have/are rolling out Starlink fleetwide at this time but have not kept up on other lines progress. 

1 hour ago, Woofbite said:

And especially stressful if you have a hearing problem, (with hearing aids even), because with the noise all you can do is nod occasionally, chuckle when others laugh and hope like crazy no one asks you a question as you sit there with a blank look on your face with the whole table goes quiet and stares at you.  Unfortunately, mobility issues frequently accompany hearing ones so port visits and buffets can be difficult as well but enjoying the sea and reading with occasional room service, make the whole thing worthwhile.

I understand exactly your experience as I also wear hearing aids and the MDR is an exercise in frustration for me.  Club Orange dining on Pinnacle Class ships with its separate dining room solved this issue for me.  It was a joy to enjoy dining once again.  

Now we have to figure out lunches for our next cruise as CO isn't open for lunch.

Edited by cbr663

Back to the OP question on new ships and how they would be designed, I'll add this. Having sailed on MSC in their Yacht Club and doing it again next year, I hope HAL has the business sense to not try to duplicate that experience. We paid $543.66 per day on a MSC Yacht Club 7-Night Mediterranean cruise in 2022. In comparison in 2019 aboard the HAL Nieuw Statendam for a 20-Day Mediterranean cruise in a Vista Suite the cost was $626.80 per day. Not to be misinterpreted, YC is probably one of THE best ways to sail. Even better than Viking Ocean in my opinion - and that was $842.29 per day. You are catered to the nth degree, amenities are perfect, and reasonably priced. For the lounge imagine the Crows Nest with half as many people, and snacks and drinks through the day. They even have a well-stocked library in different languages.

Why do I say that HAL should not duplicate it? Because HAL would need to price it way out of contention. MSC is privately held, not a corporation.

I have not given up on HAL. In fact we just booked a new HAL cruise yesterday for early 2024, and already have a 2024 Transatlantic and 2025 Transpacific booked as well.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:08 AM, Laminator said:

So if you can get a suite with a balcony for about the same price per sq ft as an inside cabin why would you not get the suite? 

You get that you pay more because it's larger, right?  If it's free I guess it doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, kazu said:

An^ d yes, her cruises were pricier and many of us were happy to pay it. 😉 

Jacquie we hear you & understand your  cruise desires .Thus ,imo the future will be small ships pay more & yes there will be lines that will focus on ports with more than one day stops . With HAL ,the future is murky ,at best .As long as it is under the Carnival umbrella of ships HAL will   keep loosing what it once was  ;reason is the corporate mentality of CCL   today in survival mode

Cliff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

I would like at least one more Signature class ship and a return of the Baked Alaka on the final Gala night. 

We understand your desires  for a smaller ship . At this time CCL can not afford new ships ;but ,they could make the ones in the fleet more appealing

Keep the nightly entertainment venues for rock and roll, blues and 2 pianos.  Each of these were packed every time they played.  Loved it.  Already booked Rotterdam VII again.

I was a little disappointed in MDR and who were our wait staff.  Food was fine and when we wanted something, we just asked the wait staff that was passing by our table.  Head waiter was only one we were sure we were assigned to.

Dutch Cafe was very good.  Understand the Dutch theme for the treats.  Throw in a few cookies, tarts/etcc would be great. Lido was good and we liked the deck area that was aft of the Lido for drinks, and shade and view of wake.  For sure, smoking was a factor on our sailing and the tables were used for other than eating, but hey, you got to sit somewhere and play cards or other games outside and you got to light up somewhere. I don't smoke or sit around and play games.

Edited by shipshape sam

On 6/25/2023 at 2:36 PM, philbob84 said:

What features or services would you like to see? Are there traditions that HAL used to do that would be a kick if brought back?

Satin ticket wallets, Lincoln Center, candied ginger from the Yum Yum Man.

• Like 1

When folks rate you 9 of 9 out of the cruiselines, HAL is more likely to sell a ship than get a new one.  If you don't want to watch this new video (not mine btw), I do believe this is how they ranked them (heavy emphasis on value).

1. Virgin

2. Royal

3. Norwegian

4. Disney

5. Carnival

6. Princess

7. Celebrity

8. MSC

9. Holland America

Edited by PACD_JG

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

When folks rate you 9 of 9 out of the cruiselines, HAL is more likely to sell a ship than get a new one.  If you don't want to watch this new video (not mine btw), I do believe this is how they ranked them (heavy emphasis on value).

1. Virgin

2. Royal

3. Norwegian

4. Disney

5. Carnival

6. Princess

7. Celebrity

8. MSC

9. Holland America

Opinions are like betting on a horse race.  Everybody has one.

They stated this was their opinion(s).  They also stated pretty early  in video, that HAL did not appeal to them, duh.  

My opinion is that HAL lines up more with Celebrity than the others.  Not many kids/families on HAL or Celebrity for example.   They appeal to older customers, although Celebrity is working on appealing to high income earners.  Hard to compare HAL to Virgin or even Disney and Royal.

The tried to be fair, but depending on your version/flavor of value, you will get a variety of ranking.

I personally have never sailed on Virgin, all adult, but would like to someday.

I place a high value on live music, especially rock and roll and blues groups.  Thus, it would be hard for some other cruise lines to get a closer valuation to HAL.   I don't care for production shows, I do like eating quality food and like presentation as part of the eating.  So........ other cruise lines have to wow me in those criteria otherwise, lose on the value proposition.

Anyway, it is fun to talk about what people would like to see HAL consider IF they ever build/buy again.

• Like 4