Rouen and what to do

yorkshirephil

We have a day and a half in Rouen on our next cruise, I have had a good google and an idea of a plan but would appreciate any experience people have, we do like to walk but will take local buses when needed. It looks like the cruise dock is out of the City so assume there will be a shuttle. TIA

There is a little train that goes from the Catherdral round the town giving you the history. You can then go back and see some of the interesting things like the plague graves.

The Joan of Arc museum is really very good. Well worth a visit.

There are also a lot of really great restaurants in Rouen. La Couronne Is excellent, the oldest restaurant in France and right opposite the modern Joan of Arc cathedral. Diners had lunch there on the very day when she was burned at the stake. Good food and wine, a superb cheese trolley and visit the toilets.

https://mbarouen.fr/en/the-museum-4 The art museum was also interesting but check for closure days - France!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have a day and a half in Rouen on our next cruise, I have had a good google and an idea of a plan but would appreciate any experience people have, we do like to walk but will take local buses when needed. It looks like the cruise dock is out of the City so assume there will be a shuttle. TIA

I seem to recall a good number of mummified cats. If your interested. 🤣

42 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Probably give that a miss

Apparently it's only one mummified cat, buried alive to prevent the city from getting the plague.  Garlic in your socks works equally as well...or not.🤔

• Haha 1

In the days before we took up cruising ,we had a coach company that used to do 

a New Year cruise on Brittany ferries . They used to book the whole ship Bretagne.

The weather was absolutely freezing but we enjoyed the town centres shops and cafes.

What stood out the most was the impressive cathedral, inside is amazing and we were 

lucky as when we went in the choir were singing "Oh Holy Night " which was magical.

If we were to return the cathedral would be on our to do list any time of the year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

So you'll be on the road to Rouen.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Following with interest as I will be calling into Rouen later this year...

We are going in August Andrew, if you have anything of interest you want me to check out let me know

• Thanks 1

Is there now a P&O cruise that goes to Rouen now, I thought it was only smaller ships which could go that far up the Seine.  It is something we were booked to do pre covid on another cruise line, but have never got there yet. 

Probably just as easy on a land hol though, we have done a bit in that nick of France over the years.

Edited by tring

Does anyone have any experience going into Paris from Rouen? I'm not sure that with the distance it's worth doing? We have a day & half in Rouen, daughter-in-law has never been to Paris.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Jules1 said:

Does anyone have any experience going into Paris from Rouen? I'm not sure that with the distance it's worth doing? We have a day & half in Rouen, daughter-in-law has never been to Paris.

It is less than 2 hours from Rouen to Paris by train (SNCF). On a port call at Le Havre, I took the train to Rouen and spent the day there. It was very enjoyable, there was enough to fill a day and the restaurant I ate at was outstanding.

The train I took from Le Havre terminates in Paris and about 10 people from the cruise spent the day in Paris. There is no comparison between Rouen & Paris in my opinion. If it were me, based on my experience, I would be on the first train to Paris and spend the night there, traveling back the next day to board the cruise.

Edited by meadowlander