GPS

It depends on the app you are using.  The GPS will work, but if your app (like Google Maps) requires wifi to download the map live, then it won't work.  Depending on your platform, you can download offline maps (these can take up some space) with the right app and then it should work.

Your GPS will function whether or not you have cellular or wifi service.

Google enables you to download maps with which you can navigate using the GPS alone. However, there is less functionality than if you used Google or Apple maps with cell service. Still, I've used Google maps on countless cruises when we've rented a car and needed to navigate a route. Also when we've explored new cities on foot, and it's always nice at the end of a long day to find the quickest route back to the ship.

• Like 1

Just FYI, if thinking of "mapping" your cruise, note that while GPS can be working on some offline-style app as mentioned above - it will still need the satellite signal.  Inside the ship (full of steel and structure) won't be much if any sat signal.  In pre-phone GPS days, people used external antennas off their "Garmin" style device and placed these out on the balcony - in order to record the voyage's whole journey.

If just looking to use on deck, occasional use, or in port - no worries.

You may also look at apps like MarineTraffic and other AIS/GPS apps for reference in spotting a nearby vessel or offshore platform, etc.

GPS is just a device that pulls in the signals the satellites send out and figures out your coordinates.

The maps are what could be an issue since that's pulled from the internet. But the various map programs let you download maps ahead of time.

Edited by smokeybandit

What, exactly, are you wanting to do? The GPS on your phone receives signals from satellites, not cellular towers. You will be able to know the coordinates where you are but you may not be able to see them on a map, depending on what mapping program you are using. Are you geocaching maybe? If that's what you're looking to do, you'll be fine.

19 hours ago, basser said:

Wil my GPS apps on my phone work if I don’t have wi fi?

If I understand correctly, you want to use Apps that use GPS for location, such as a map.  The answer is no, it won't work.  Although the phone continuously pings for towers, if you have the internet turned off, it won't do anything. (note wifi is the internet, and is only an avenue to get to the internet)  So if your data is turned off, airplane mode, and you don't subscribe to the ships internet through wifi, than nothing. 

58 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This is something I wish they'd add to the app. If they can show ship's location on TV, then it shouldn't be hard to make it available in the app.

I use the MarineTraffic App to see the ships location. I like that app  because it shows the positions of other ships nearby. 

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I use the MarineTraffic App to see the ships location. I like that app  because it shows the positions of other ships nearby. 

That will also drop off sometimes in the middle of the ocean, if you notice it will tell you the last time a ship was "received"  and sometimes it will say 2 minutes, and other times it will say 10 hours ago. But it is very cool to check when you see another ship in the distance or some lights from a country way out there. 

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I like that app  because it shows the positions of other ships nearby. 

You'd like cruisemapper even better since it also reports ship position even away from land-based AIS sensors. It also filters out all the other traffic which most probably don't care about.

31 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You'd like cruisemapper even better since it also reports ship position even away from land-based AIS sensors. It also filters out all the other traffic which most probably don't care about.

Good for cruise ship info but MarineTraffic shows other traffic that I do care about. The public ferries in Bermuda and the NCL ferry in Bermuda specifically. It shows their names and location. I know that is esoteric to most but questions come up from time to time about them. 

Maybe a bit off subject, but we use Maps.me when travelling to places where we plan to do a lot of walking or driving.  (port stops in the Caribbean/Mexico for example).   I leave the phone in Airplane Mode the whole time and it works great. 

But you have to prep the App before, in a place where you can be online.  (download maps of the area you are visiting, set up sites you want to visit, etc.)  Easy to use imho.

I use an app called GPS Status. I use it quite often in airplane mode with wi-fi turned off. It does not require cell service, it relies solely on satellite signals. It will give me my location in latitude and longitude but it does not display that on a map.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

22 hours ago, dna1990 said:

In pre-phone GPS days, people used external antennas off their "Garmin" style device and placed these out on the balcony - in order to record the voyage's whole journey.

Garmin Nuvi and large battery pack in waterproof bag on balcony.  Turn sound off and brightness down to conserve battery.  Replace battery every other day.  Transfer file to Google Earth to plot the trip.

17 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Garmin Nuvi and large battery pack in waterproof bag on balcony.  Turn sound off and brightness down to conserve battery.  Replace battery every other day.  Transfer file to Google Earth to plot the trip.

I like using the Garmin gpsmap. Unfortunately, a little more expensive than the Nuvi , but has a lot more features for a nautical environment.

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

If I understand correctly, you want to use Apps that use GPS for location, such as a map.  The answer is no, it won't work.  Although the phone continuously pings for towers, if you have the internet turned off, it won't do anything. (note wifi is the internet, and is only an avenue to get to the internet)  So if your data is turned off, airplane mode, and you don't subscribe to the ships internet through wifi, than nothing. 

Sorry, but you are incorrect. GPS acquires its position information from satellites, not from cell towers. Neither wifi nor cellular access is required for GPS to know your position.

As for its ability to show you your location, there are numerous apps that provide that functionality. For example, while connected to the internet (cellular data or wifi), you can go to Google maps and download a map or maps of the area in which you will be travelling. When you are out of cellular/wifi range, you and use the downloaded Google map and it will provide you with location functionality.

This isn't something new or exciting. Hand held GPS units with built in maps and no internet/cell/wifi connectivity whatsoever have been around for a long time. I spent years using GPS for Search & Rescue before cell phones had even been invented. The technology was simply adapted for cell phones in the fullness of time, just as camera technology was.

• Like 1