Back on Oasis class after 12 years…and I think I'm done with it.

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

Tapi was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hi!

We just returned from the Harmony of the Seas a few days ago and I wanted to share some observations about our cruise. We’ve sailed on Royal several times during the last few years, but it had been 12 years since we’d set foot on an Oasis class ship (previous time being on the Allure in 2011 when our son was a little over a year old). We now returned with two kids (our son now 13 years old, and our 11 year old daughter).

We had a great cruise, but it didn’t “wow” me as much as the first time. Maybe I’m older and don’t care for the sheer size of the ship and the nonstop activities, or maybe it’s because things have changed some since then. You be the judge. Here are my observations:

- Crowds: It was a bit overwhelming to sail with 5,000+ passengers. I didn’t mind the first time, but it did this time. I remember finding quiet spots away from crowds before, but this time it seemed like I just couldn’t escape the crowds.

In all fairness, Royal does a wonderful job keeping the lines moving, and the ship is well designed to handle this many passengers, but the sea of people is still there. There were several daily announcements telling people to move along during meal hours because some venues were at capacity and other passengers were waiting. When we sailed on the Allure, electronic signage informed passengers how full different dining venues were, but that wasn’t available this time (or I couldn’t find it).

- Cabin service: We missed having 2 services per day. Our cabin steward did a great job tending to our needs, but she was firm on only being able to provide service once a day. After seeing her working her butt off around the clock to tend to all the cabins she had assigned to her, we understood why. She was spread too thin. 

- Stateroom: First time we sailed on Allure, we had a Boardwalk window stateroom. This time we had an ocean view balcony stateroom. The cabin was pretty standard, but I appreciated the larger shower with a glass door. Two negatives: the multi purpose shampoo/body wash felt super cheap (glad we brought our own), and the trundle bed (instead of a bunk bed) occupied floor space which made  the cabin feel much tighter every time it was open. It was annoying at times.

- Entertainment: Still some of the best and most professional at sea, and with a “wow” factor that we still haven’t found on any cruise line we’ve sailed on. We went to every single show and we were truly impressed with every one for various reasons. Grease, Columbus, the Fine Line, and 1887. 

- Food: Main dining room and Windjammer were both good and average (although always very crowded). We did two specialty restaurants (Sabor and Chop’s Grill). Both well worth the extra money in terms of food quality, ambiance, and service. Park Cafe was a personal favorite my first time on an Oasis ship and it still is now. Great little place to escape the crowds. We also tried the Solarium Bistro for dinner one night. I personally loved it, but it wasn’t a fan favorite of some picky eaters in our group, but not because there was something wrong with the venue. 

Ports: A bit uninspiring, but I know that this is a drawback about sailing on an Oasis class ship: Limited port selection.

I didn’t really care for Coco Cay. It’s overdone. I felt as if I was at the Aquatica water park in Orlando, with thousands of other park goers. The beaches were not nearly as nice as at other private islands in the Bahamas. I personally enjoy a quieter, less developed island, like Half Moon Cay or Ocean Cay.  

St Thomas and Sint Maarten are always great ports and we thoroughly enjoyed visiting both of them, even if we’ve been there many times. We found new things to do at both. In St Thomas, we did the Discover SCUBA program at Secret Harbour (booked on our own and highly recommended), and in Sint Maarten we explored the French side (Saint Martin) since we’d never been there before. We explored Marigot and Fort Louis before taking a cab to Maho Beach for the mandatory airplane watching session. 

Debarkation: We did self assist and the line was huge. But once again, lines moved very quickly. We were passport holders so we never stopped moving and breezed through the face recognition portals. But the line for birth certificate holders was long and seemed to be at a complete standstill. 

-o-

Overall, great cruise but I think I’m done with Oasis class ships. I think I’m in a stage in life where I care more for smaller, more intimate crowds, as well as more diverse destinations. My kids (11 and 13) absolutely loved all the activities available for them (my son lived at the flowrider the entire week). 

If I could find a smaller, less crowded ship that combines many of the amenities found on the Oasis class, along with better and more diverse ports of call, I think it would most likely be ideal. I’m guessing that Quantum class may be better suited for us? Thanks for any input and suggestions that you may provide! 

IMG_3497.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

IMG_3554.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

• Tapi changed the title to Back on Oasis class after 12 years…and I think I'm done with it.
13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thank you for the comments.  Where is the walkway with fountains on both sides?

M

Hi. That’s in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten. From where the water taxi drops you off, walk left along the beach for about 5-10 minutes and you’ll see it. 

9 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Sorry that you didn’t enjoy it.  We always enjoy cruising, I guess we are not that picky, especially if we are on an Oasis Class ship.

Hi Tlbecker1. As mentioned in my post, we did enjoy the cruise and had a great time. 😀 I just think I’m done with the Oasis class of ships specifically. I think I’m entering a stage of my life where I want smaller and less crowded. But I would definitely not say “never again” to this class of ship.

• Like 7

We loved the wow factor of the Oasis class, but there's something about the Anthem that kept us coming back.  Even a senior officer told us that he felt the Anthem was a bit more elevated an experience than the Harmony.  I love Central Park and 150 though!

32 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Hi. That’s in Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten. From where the water taxi drops you off, walk left along the beach for about 5-10 minutes and you’ll see it. 

Thanks. I'm there all the time. I usually go right.  Next visit I'll have to take more time to enjoy the scenery. 

M

Our first ever Oasis class cruise is a few weeks away on Harmony. I have put it off because of crowds and the ports we have been to multiple times on less crowded ships. I expect my reaction will be much the same as yours, but we will see. I am a firm believer there is no such thing as a bad cruise.

• Like 3

I did my first Oasis class ship last November (Thanksgiving week). I had avoided trying that class of ship since we docked next to the Allure 9 years prior. I thought I'd hate them (thought they'd be too big, too many people, too confusing with all the different room types and restaurants and shows to reserve etc).

But it turned out that I loved it. It's my favorite ship class now. I can definitely see how one could feel like it's a bit too busy if they'd prefer a lower key, relaxing vacation. Being on Oasis class can make you feel like you've always gotta be doing something. It's just a huge ship with so many different places to go and things to do. You can walk around all day and never really sit down to relax. But that's what I liked about it, surprisingly. I never felt trapped.

Contrary to the OP's feeling that this ship was better suited for them in their younger years, I felt the opposite. The whole time my daughter was a kid, I never sailed these big ships with all the "stuff" to do, but honestly, I think there's more to do for adults than kids, and if I was trying to keep up with kids on this ship, I'd feel worn out and tired trying to chase them around to the kid stuff instead of being able to enjoy the adult stuff. Now that my daughter is an adult, I think we were both able to enjoy it more. 

We're heading off to join the Spectrum in a couple weeks. I've been even more hesitant to try a Quantum class ship. The fact that it's so "indoors" focused, and that they've just never seemed to be a crowd favorite makes me nervous that we'll get bored (it's a 12 day cruise), but I'm hoping to be as pleasantly surprised with Spectrum as I was with Symphony. I can see why someone would appreciate the smaller, less busy ships more, they certainly have their place, but I definitely liked the Symphony way more than I expected to.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When was your first cruise on Allure? I ask because we never sail in the summer in an attempt to avoid the summer crowds, wondering if you enjoyed Allure more if it happened to be during a different month. We usually sail spring/fall and it's been manageable crowd-wise. Enjoyed reading of your experience though 😀 We do like the big ships but DH and I are sailing on Mariner this October and I'm looking forward to a different class ship this time around, then it's back on Harmony in Dec with 2 teenagers (and I'm hoping they'll have plenty to do!) 🤪

• Like 7

Enjoyed reading your review. My experience has been Oasis class ships feel less crowded than Quantum, Freedom and Voyager class ships. I have been on Grandeur a few times recently mainly for the ports, but unlike you, I am not a big fan of smaller ships. I doubt I will ever cruise on any RCI ship smaller than Voyager class ships in the future. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

When was your first cruise on Allure? I ask because we never sail in the summer in an attempt to avoid the summer crowds, wondering if you enjoyed Allure more if it happened to be during a different month.

We did the Allure in mid May, so I’m guessing that the crowds may have been a bit thinner since summer break was just beginning.

There were definitely TONS of families on this Harmony cruise (our family included) being a mid June cruise. I must say that, even though there were many kids onboard (from little ones to teenagers), most seemed well behaved. There was so much to do, that they simply didn’t have time to roam around the ship and terrorize others out of boredom (as we’ve witnessed on other cruise lines that shall remain unnamed). 

I’m not a huge fan of summer Caribbean sailings either, partly because of the crowds and partly because of the oppressive heat. It was WAY too hot. We were originally planning on sailing Northern Europe, but had to change our plans a month before departure. Harmony was what fit our needs and days off. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

Sounds like you just want smaller ships & different ports. Different strokes & fortunately Royal has plenty of everything.

We’re perfectly content doing the same “boring” Caribbean itineraries on Oasis class & love CocoCay. Everyone has their preferences.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sounds like you just want smaller ships & different ports. Different strokes & fortunately Royal has plenty of everything.

We’re perfectly content doing the same “boring” Caribbean itineraries on Oasis class & love CocoCay. Everyone has their preferences.

I wish my wife felt that way, she wants to make sure we go to at least 1-2 different ports every time, so as easy as this upcoming one from NJ is going to be, it's also going to be one of maybe 2-3 total we do from there because the itineraries are pretty much the same all the time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I wish my wife felt that way, she wants to make sure we go to at least 1-2 different ports every time, so as easy as this upcoming one from NJ is going to be, it's also going to be one of maybe 2-3 total we do from there because the itineraries are pretty much the same all the time. 

I hear ya. Fortunately my wife and I have similar cruise preferences. She's just happy to be on vacation. I find the excursions which are usually more for her than me but I can usually find something for both of us. She cares more about snorkeling than I do but I don't mind a short session on a catamaran or speedboat that also includes chilling on the boat with drinks, for example.

She did "make me" go to Alaska for 18 days in 2018 for a special joint birthday trip even though it cost a small fortune compared to our standard Caribbean cruise and I had never even thought about going there. Turns out I loved it. It was by far our best vacation ever with memories we will never forget and we'll likely go back at some point. So it's not always a bad thing when we do things to make our wives happy. 😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks. I'm there all the time. I usually go right.  Next visit I'll have to take more time to enjoy the scenery. 

M

If you're looking to have lunch while on shore, there are two very nice bar/restaurants at the beach end of the sidewalk.

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

Hi Tlbecker1. As mentioned in my post, we did enjoy the cruise and had a great time. 😀 I just think I’m done with the Oasis class of ships specifically. I think I’m entering a stage of my life where I want smaller and less crowded. But I would definitely not say “never again” to this class of ship.

Interesting perspective.  We feel different and loved Oasis class before kids and still do now with 3 kids.  It is by far our favorite.   One thing is that we don’t cruise in peak summer.  Next time, if you try again, you may consider an off peak time.  Of course your feelings and preferences are yours, so I’m surely not suggesting they are wrong.  Just mentioning off peak might feel slightly different.  

Glad your son liked the flowrider.  Warning, it’s addictive.  I’d be there all day myself if I didn’t have kids now.  That is the beauty of the flowrider.  Every cruise I met people from teenager to 70 just enjoying the sun and flowrider most of the day.  After a few cruises, I rarely went on a cruise where I didn’t know someone in line from a prior cruise.   Another point on the flowrider for your son’s sake.  If you do a smaller ship, it will at most have one flowrider, and you get way less time to ride on those ships as they split boogie board and stand up time.  We like freedom class, but the flowrider situation on those ships was always a huge negative for me.  

• Like 1

I am currently on my 28th cruise and I believe my 16th with Royal.  I like the ports the best and will pick that first.  I do like the suite experience.  I don't care about the restaurants anymore.  I've discovered for us, the specialty lunches work better.  Only restaurant for dinner I'll consider is Izumi.  I have sailed on the Allure and the Symphony and I did like them but it's so crowded. 

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

If you do a smaller ship, it will at most have one flowrider, and you get way less time to ride on those ships as they split boogie board and stand up time

Just an FYI some of the smaller ships do not have a flow rider.  

I love oasis class and will harmony after thanksgiving, which normally has less children than other times , we love the entertainment and doubt I will sail any other rccl class. We don’t do windjammer at all , helps being in a suite and having costal kitchen, plus we get UDP. 

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Every cruise I met people from teenager to 70 just enjoying the sun and flowrider most of the day.  After a few cruises, I rarely went on a cruise where I didn’t know someone in line from a prior cruise.  

I noticed that, every time I went up to the flowrider to check on my son, the same people would always be in line. My son talked to a guy in his 30’s who was on his 12th cruise this year alone, and claimed that he only sails on ships with a flowrider. To give credit where credit is due, his flowriding skills did show that he spent a lot of time there!

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I've discovered for us, the specialty lunches work better.  

We did Chops for lunch on a sea day and enjoyed it tremendously. It was a nice break. We pre booked it before departure so we paid less than half what dinner would’ve cost. I’d definitely book it for lunch again. 

Edited by Tapi